We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.457 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 13 14 15 16 17 ··· 19  Next Page »
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 01-10-17 11:52 PM EDT (US)         
Australia: The Land Where Everything IS Trying to Kill You

THAT’S right everyone- of course I would do an Australian themed Holy Roman Party. Or should I say HOLY AUSTRALIAN PARTY! Australia is the land of Dangerous Animals, dangerous weather, and dangerous women! Our cemeteries are so full cause everyone is dying to get in them! It’s a land where most of the people believe that centuries of injustice to the aboriginal peoples can be wiped away by a little apology!

Oh, and by the by, Australia’s military record is pretty good too! You would expect people from a land where the weather, women and animals are so dangerous to be pretty decent shots- and hardy! Aussies and New Zealanders paired together in World War One creating one of the world’s most iconic and instantly recognised acronyms- ANZAC. Australia is proud (and very defensive) of its ANZAC tradition- so fine travellers, when you get to Australia don’t mention that most of our troops in WW1 were aggressive and violent thieves and brawlers, even though they most certainly were!

Although Australians love to break the rules, these are some that cannot be broken in this thread:

1.Don’t be a flamin Galah (look this up if necessary)! No Flaming

2.Trolls were left behind in Europe due to the lack of space on the convict ships. No Trolling

3.Fishing is one of Australia’s prime industries, we just don’t like competition. No Baiting

4.We really tire of hearing how we are all descended from convicts- so don’t tell us more then once a week! No double posting unless a week has passed

5.Only the golden oldies still love a nice tin of heavily processed meat! No Spam

6.We landed on Australia because we stole rule 6.

7.And then once released we went and stole rule 7.

8.Here in Aussie, a bit of stupidity- like trying to tickle a brown snake, can get you killed. No Stupidity! But the long hot days need a bit of humour to help them pass. Silliness, on the other hand, is allowed

Winners of the Order of Australia:
100: DominicusUltimus
476:
500:
1000:
1066:
1337:
1415:
1500:
1788:
1901:
2000:
2500:

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 08-16-2017 @ 01:23 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Jax
HG Monument
(id: Jax Omen)
posted 01-07-20 03:31 AM EDT (US)     351 / 457       
I played the third without playing either of the earlier two, and didn't really feel like I missed out on much. W3 was still one of the best (maybe THE best) game I've played in the last 5 years, and I normally really don't like open world games very much.

You answer a bunch of questions very early on which are supposed to reference what you did in W1/2 which subsequently alter W3 accordingly, but it only changes a handful of things in small ways, and all of them are basically just nods and winks to earlier games. The plot is fairly self contained and isn't difficult to understand without knowledge of what happened before.

Most of the recommendations I've seen seem to suggest playing the third game first since it's far and away the best, then going back and playing W1/W2 if you're so inclined once you've got an emotional attachment to the characters.

house won this
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-07-20 11:13 PM EDT (US)     352 / 457       
Jax!! How've you been?

Thanks for the advice on play order. I'm guessing they've fixed the controls, or is that combat still fairly hard to pick up? I just installed W3 from Steam and was thinking I'd make it my next big time sink.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Jax
HG Monument
posted 01-08-20 09:56 AM EDT (US)     353 / 457       
To be clear - I've still not played the other two! So maybe don't put too much weight on my opinion haha.
I'm guessing they've fixed the controls, or is that combat still fairly hard to pick up?
It's the weakest part of W3 still, but I wouldn't say it's *bad* it's just the difficulty curve is a bit wonky. First few hours are pretty tough, then it becomes insanely easy as you level up
Jax!! How've you been?
Yeah, pretty good ta Hoping to buy a house this year lol. Yourself?

house won this
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-09-20 11:10 PM EDT (US)     354 / 457       
Yeah, pretty good ta Hoping to buy a house this year lol. Yourself?
That's a big step. I hope everything goes well with it.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 01-12-20 10:05 AM EDT (US)     355 / 457       
"Does playing the first two add much/quite a bit to the experience of the third? I'm under the impression that they're roughly sequential and was inclined to make my way through all three in order."
What Jax said, The Witcher 3 is perfectly playable without playing the first two games in the series.

Playing the first two Witcher games can help flesh out your understanding of the state of the world in The Witcher 3 and likely deepen your connection with Triss since she appears in the first two games as well -- plus there is some cool side content for a major decision made in Witcher 2. However, it is certainly not mandatory to understand and enjoy the story and characters in The Witcher 3 though, CDProjekt knew it would be a lot of people's first times in the Witcher universe.
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-12-20 10:48 PM EDT (US)     356 / 457       
I decided to give Witcher 1 another try today and found that, while the controls are a bit clunky, they aren't as bad as I remember them being. Just started Chapter 1, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 01-14-20 12:16 PM EDT (US)     357 / 457       
Can you post a sort of AAR about thy travels in that otherworldly realm?

A sort travelog, that we may become familiar with thy endeavors and adventures.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-15-20 09:08 PM EDT (US)     358 / 457       
Well, Chapter 1 is running around the outskirts of a city. Somewhere between exposition, tutorial, and getting into the meat of the game.

It has an interesting random encounter system- during the day, you only encounter NPCs, but at night, there are all sorts of random enemies. I've played some other games with a similar mechanic, but I feel like it's even more pronounced, especially since you have to switch from "non-combat mode" to "combat mode" every time you encounter an enemy.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-16-20 11:59 AM EDT (US)     359 / 457       
Is that simple, like drawing a weapon, or do you have to enter a menu function to do so?

How large is the city? Is it like in Cyrodiil- 20 odd houses and assorted buildings, or many, many buildings? Are you allowed to enter said buildings, or are they mostly for show?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-16-20 07:25 PM EDT (US)     360 / 457       
It's fairly simple- hitting a key to draw your weapon- but still breaks up normal movement and exploration.

At this point, you're running around the outskirts of the city, so it's mostly small groups of houses, which- unlike many games- you can go into. The vast majority of them are accessible, save for a few that are locked.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-17-20 12:11 PM EDT (US)     361 / 457       
Sounds like an interesting game. Please continue reporting thy progress!

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-20-20 08:39 PM EDT (US)     362 / 457       
So I've finished Chapter 1, in which it turns out the outskirts village leadership are all corrupt jerks who've summoned up a beast through their evil that's been terrorizing the villagers. And then they blame it on a local witch- who to be fair, isn't entirely innocent of hurting people. It's a total mess, though, and I ended up killing a bunch of villagers.

Now I'm into the second chapter, which starts with you being arrested falsely, and discovering that the guards in town turn out to be even more corrupt than the villagers outside it. You do get to kill a cockatrice, which is fun.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-21-20 12:44 PM EDT (US)     363 / 457       
So you were balancing the scales in Chapter One? Killing off the evil, and to balance the cosmos, reducing the number of peasants to match. Or were they what we prefer to call 'collateral damage'? In my day, they were known as those too stupid or stubborn to leave before battle begins.

Did you kill the witch as well as the corrupt leaders? That too balances the cosmos. Or since she was falsely accused (though not innocent) punish her wicked ways then drive her forth into the wilderness alone and slightly used?

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-22-20 07:17 PM EDT (US)     364 / 457       
Well, if you don't let the villagers kill the witch before you confront the evil beast (it's literally called "the Beast"), they attack you in retaliation, so I'd call killing them something like self defense.

I let the witch live, but she flees from the village to go elsewhere.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-23-20 01:26 PM EDT (US)     365 / 457       
Nice of you to let her skip town.

And I agree- those foolish enough to seek thy blood should always be prepared to shed much of their own. I would call that self-defense as well, not even pre-emptive self-defense.

Maybe sparing the witch will come back as a favor later on? Grateful wenches can do so, you know.

Jax
HG Monument
posted 01-24-20 07:44 AM EDT (US)     366 / 457       
And then they blame it on a local witch- who to be fair, isn't entirely innocent of hurting people
This was one of the joys of the witcher to me, in a lot of the situations no one is truly in the right and very often all your decisions result in something bad happening from a certain point of view.

house won this
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-24-20 11:27 PM EDT (US)     367 / 457       
I do feel like they're doing a decent job of making things at least decently morally ambiguous without making too big a deal of it, the way some games do.

Then again, I tend to make the decisions that gather me the most rewards and opportunities, even if they're not necessarily consistent, character-wise.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-30-20 12:51 PM EDT (US)     368 / 457       
You should always remain consistent with your character. To not do so invokes the wrath of the gods, which I can tell you from personal experience is not very nice.

Simple shortcut: your character is always in flux, and therefore whatever suits your needs suits your character. Easy. And no penalties from above.

I am not sure how that will translate into thy gameworld, but hey, have fun. That is most important!

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 01-31-20 09:00 AM EDT (US)     369 / 457       
Been awhile since I've been here, so my first post of 2020 will be a good one.

After almost 8 years of irregular writing, I finally finished the first draft of my historical fiction novel about Antiochus VII Sidetes and the Seleucid Empire this past Monday. Ended at a bloated 503 pages and 247,600 words (way past my original goal of 300 pages and 120,000 words), so I've started the long process of editing and rewriting it with the goal of dividing it into two manuscripts for two separate novels. A manuscript of 250 pages will be a lot easier for the eventual publisher to stomach and print more than a 503 page long doorstopper.

Also started work on the 2nd/3rd novel so despite all the terrible crap going on in the world right now, 2020 has been pretty good to me so far.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-31-20 10:30 PM EDT (US)     370 / 457       
Congratulations on finishing your book, Dom! That's a really big achievement, and I'm glad you were able to complete it.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 02-03-20 02:44 PM EDT (US)     371 / 457       
I second the congrats on finishing your book.

And I wish thee well in thy quest to get it published.

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 02-07-20 06:22 PM EDT (US)     372 / 457       
Thank you my friends!

Apologies for the late words of gratitude. Life has become a bit hectic for me over the past week, but in a good way.

Onward and upward!

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 02-08-20 11:04 AM EDT (US)     373 / 457       
Hiyo, Silver! Away!

(Sorry, wrong hero.)

Luck and Fair Winds!

(That one always works)

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 02-16-20 09:09 AM EDT (US)     374 / 457       
I have finished watching all seasons and episodes of Lucifer so far.

I heard some people whining about that show glorifying the Devil and therefore it should be banned. I tell these people they can shove that up their arse. The show does not glorify the Devil, but it does humanize him. And the angels as well.

Anyway, I thought it a wonderful diversion.

My next binge-watch target is the Witcher series. Any tips on what to be alert for?

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 02-17-20 08:21 PM EDT (US)     375 / 457       
I've heard good things about both of those shows, but I haven't watched either of them, partly because I don't have a Netflix subscription. Then again, it's not like I have enough time for the shows I do currently watch.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 13 14 15 16 17 ··· 19  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames