We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.457 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 19  Next Page »
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 01-10-17 11:52 PM EDT (US)         
Australia: The Land Where Everything IS Trying to Kill You

THAT’S right everyone- of course I would do an Australian themed Holy Roman Party. Or should I say HOLY AUSTRALIAN PARTY! Australia is the land of Dangerous Animals, dangerous weather, and dangerous women! Our cemeteries are so full cause everyone is dying to get in them! It’s a land where most of the people believe that centuries of injustice to the aboriginal peoples can be wiped away by a little apology!

Oh, and by the by, Australia’s military record is pretty good too! You would expect people from a land where the weather, women and animals are so dangerous to be pretty decent shots- and hardy! Aussies and New Zealanders paired together in World War One creating one of the world’s most iconic and instantly recognised acronyms- ANZAC. Australia is proud (and very defensive) of its ANZAC tradition- so fine travellers, when you get to Australia don’t mention that most of our troops in WW1 were aggressive and violent thieves and brawlers, even though they most certainly were!

Although Australians love to break the rules, these are some that cannot be broken in this thread:

1.Don’t be a flamin Galah (look this up if necessary)! No Flaming

2.Trolls were left behind in Europe due to the lack of space on the convict ships. No Trolling

3.Fishing is one of Australia’s prime industries, we just don’t like competition. No Baiting

4.We really tire of hearing how we are all descended from convicts- so don’t tell us more then once a week! No double posting unless a week has passed

5.Only the golden oldies still love a nice tin of heavily processed meat! No Spam

6.We landed on Australia because we stole rule 6.

7.And then once released we went and stole rule 7.

8.Here in Aussie, a bit of stupidity- like trying to tickle a brown snake, can get you killed. No Stupidity! But the long hot days need a bit of humour to help them pass. Silliness, on the other hand, is allowed

Winners of the Order of Australia:
100: DominicusUltimus
476:
500:
1000:
1066:
1337:
1415:
1500:
1788:
1901:
2000:
2500:

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 08-16-2017 @ 01:23 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 05-29-18 06:02 PM EDT (US)     226 / 457       
5th Edition. I have only recently started and it is the one with the most support online, and is the most easy to begin playing by all accounts. I have heard great things about 3.5 edition, but apparently the complexity isn't for the light hearted.

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 05-31-18 11:51 AM EDT (US)     227 / 457       
I played the original edition, then switched to 2e edition. After that, we sort of drifted off into making our own combat systems and such and the role-play really came on strong, especially since an arrow through the forehead was deadly no matter what level you were...

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 05-31-18 06:41 PM EDT (US)     228 / 457       
I have heard great things about the first couple of editions, although the word on the grapevine is that the first two editions didnt really allow much roleplay as it didnt have many mechanics for it. I dont know how true that is though because i have never looked into it myself.

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 05-31-18 07:56 PM EDT (US)     229 / 457       
I played 3.5 extensively, though I will admit that it can easily become complex. The base game with a few additions is quite player friendly, though, and its complexity allows for almost infinite adaptability.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 06-01-18 12:54 PM EDT (US)     230 / 457       
1e edition was basically a few tables for To-Hit, a list of spells and their effects, and monsters. 2e Edition added to that somewhat, but half the fun of the first two editions was fighting over the interpretation of the rules. The other half of the fun was getting a storyline going and living it. The rules were more like guidelines, and the DM was more a god.

Many an argumentative player has heard the sizzle of an inbound lightning bolt and the horrible words, "Feel free to roll up a new character. This one is ash."

It is about the story and the play involved, not the rules and tables and such. If a DM wanted a monster to hit, then he rolled a natural 20. If he wanted a player to miss, the player rolled a 1. It was that simple.

And the beer was great.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 06-06-18 11:04 AM EDT (US)     231 / 457       
Some news for the upcoming Total War: Three Kingdoms, which will now be released in Spring 2019 instead of Fall 2018: Total War: Three Kingdoms - Working with Romanticised History. The game will have two separate campaign modes: a Romanticised mode with superhuman generals capable of fighting hundreds of men similar to how Legendary Lords are in Warhammer 1 & 2, and a Classic mode where generals will be mortal men with a host of bodyguards as they've been in past historical Total War games and victory is determined by tactics and army composition instead of the direct combat performance of your general.

And a new in-engine trailer featuring the legendary Cao Cao!

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 06-08-18 12:26 PM EDT (US)     232 / 457       
That sounds really interesting.

I wonder if one will be able to switch modes (Legendary General vs Bodyguard) in-game. That would be awesome. Not very realistic, but awesome.

I do admit a nostalgic feeling for the old-fashioned TW games, like Rome and Medieval, where it is your tactics and strategy that determine the battle, and not some Marvel Superhero with a hammer (what they did to my old drinking buddy is just pathetic...)

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 06-08-18 11:13 PM EDT (US)     233 / 457       
I'm actually very excited for the general duels in the Romanticised mode, especially after seeing one in action in the last part of this video.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 06-11-18 11:50 AM EDT (US)     234 / 457       
That is a very interesting duel.

How do you control the fighting in that? Or is it directed by the AI after player instructs "Challenge this unit"?

I like the idea of looting the corpses of the enemy generals. Reminds me of the old days.

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 06-17-18 11:56 AM EDT (US)     235 / 457       
I believe you can click on abilities that momentarily increase your generals' traits (attack power, attack, speed, etc.) to give them an edge in the duel, but you control when he attacks, dodges or anything like that.

Going by this and other videos from E3, you also don't have to watch the duel. You can have your general duel an opponent, then get back to overseeing the battle or siege so you don't suffer unnecessary casualties while he does his thing.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 06-20-18 09:21 AM EDT (US)     236 / 457       
That does sound cool.

I wonder if you can be underhanded as well. Like tell your general "Challenge this unit" and when they are fighting, tell your archers "Pincushion the other guy's general"

At that scale, your general will receive a few, but his will look like a hedgehog.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 07-06-18 10:50 AM EDT (US)     237 / 457       
Anybody watching 'foppal'? (Norse slang for football, soccer)

I was hoping Iceland would do well, but they really tried. Maybe next time.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 07-11-18 10:56 AM EDT (US)     238 / 457       
Where did everybody go?

Was it something I said?

My armpits?

The manly length of my beard?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 07-19-18 03:35 AM EDT (US)     239 / 457       
Summer vacation time.

Gentle seas, fresh winds, empty drakøns going out, full ones coming back.

Ale by the barrel, unless you are a mead person like myself. The only problem is that we of the North make mead, the rest ale and beer, so that restricts the supply for the demand somewhat. Unless we take it from them.

Playing barber- throwing axes to chop braids that are longer than the king's. Some assholes miss on purpose, but they get theirs later. Most of us play proper and keep the lengths to reasonable. Beards count, too.

And the women... who could knock a man on his ass with a single blow and take his ale.

Sometimes I really miss those days.

Except the women part. We still have those types around today.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 07-22-18 03:09 AM EDT (US)     240 / 457       
Oh Terikel you would love my fiance then. She is a hard ass.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 07-23-18 06:13 AM EDT (US)     241 / 457       
You must treat her with kindness and never let such a treasure slip away, my friend.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 07-24-18 05:52 PM EDT (US)     242 / 457       
Be assured i will. I believe you may have met her soul once or twice in your longevity. She surely must have been a Valkyrie or warrior maiden in a different time.

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 07-27-18 08:16 PM EDT (US)     243 / 457       
I don't think you mentioned you'd proposed (and she accepted), Awesome. Congrats!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 07-31-18 05:45 PM EDT (US)     244 / 457       
Haha, it happened way back in February! I didnt go crazy over announcements, just did the customary post on facebook and on here for you lovely lads.

We actually have our rather belated engagement party coming up in August. If any of you are in Australia when it happens, i would be more then happy to extent youse an invite.

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 08-01-18 11:10 PM EDT (US)     245 / 457       
Oops; guess it's been so long I'd forgotten. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to Aussieland for the party, but I hope it goes well and you have a good time.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-13-18 11:52 AM EDT (US)     246 / 457       
I will not be able to attend either. My longship needs to have its hull scraped of barnacles (nasty little things), rotten planks replaced and re-caulked, oars whittled for use, and then the whole problem of finding thirty able-bodied men to pull the oars. Vikings just don't grow on trees anymore.

Assuming I manage all of that on time, it is still a journey of almost ayear to reach Down Under.

I simply do not have that kind of time lying about. All of my free time is currently hauled away with tasks around the longhouse (cutting hair with axes, toting the barrels to the brewery, toting them back again- note to self: drink them empty first. They ar ethen much easier and fun to carry).

Then there is the whole Glass Curtain thing. For some odd reason, it fails to perform on my ship. I guess seawater and Magic Boxes are not compatible.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 08-13-18 05:49 PM EDT (US)     247 / 457       
I guess seawater and Magic Boxes are not compatible.
That must be what is plaguing my Magic Box at the moment. :/

In all seriousness, my gaming computer is a bit on the fritz at the moment unfortunately. I had to unplug it for a couple days in the hope that the BIOS will reset (because i believe that is the problem). Question: Can you get a replacement BIOS module or is that just a part of the motherboard that cant be replaced?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-15-18 12:49 PM EDT (US)     248 / 457       
BIOS thingees are firmware. There is a way to update and re-install one.

But do not ask me how- I wave a wand and let lightning fly. That always seems to work. The frikking things fear me as they should, and work properly thereafter until the next time some evil gremlin crawls inside and casts his evil spells.

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 08-26-18 07:44 PM EDT (US)     249 / 457       
To reset BIOS, you can usually just turn it off, unplug it, and hold down the power button for a few minutes to discharge all of the capacitors, then try turning it back on. If that doesn't fix it, either reinstall the system, call support, or take it to someone who fixes computers.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-03-18 12:29 PM EDT (US)     250 / 457       
Or wave a magic wand and let lightning fly.

My personal favorite.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 19  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames