We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.462 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 16 17 18 19  Next Page »
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 01-10-17 11:52 PM EDT (US)         
Australia: The Land Where Everything IS Trying to Kill You

THAT’S right everyone- of course I would do an Australian themed Holy Roman Party. Or should I say HOLY AUSTRALIAN PARTY! Australia is the land of Dangerous Animals, dangerous weather, and dangerous women! Our cemeteries are so full cause everyone is dying to get in them! It’s a land where most of the people believe that centuries of injustice to the aboriginal peoples can be wiped away by a little apology!

Oh, and by the by, Australia’s military record is pretty good too! You would expect people from a land where the weather, women and animals are so dangerous to be pretty decent shots- and hardy! Aussies and New Zealanders paired together in World War One creating one of the world’s most iconic and instantly recognised acronyms- ANZAC. Australia is proud (and very defensive) of its ANZAC tradition- so fine travellers, when you get to Australia don’t mention that most of our troops in WW1 were aggressive and violent thieves and brawlers, even though they most certainly were!

Although Australians love to break the rules, these are some that cannot be broken in this thread:

1.Don’t be a flamin Galah (look this up if necessary)! No Flaming

2.Trolls were left behind in Europe due to the lack of space on the convict ships. No Trolling

3.Fishing is one of Australia’s prime industries, we just don’t like competition. No Baiting

4.We really tire of hearing how we are all descended from convicts- so don’t tell us more then once a week! No double posting unless a week has passed

5.Only the golden oldies still love a nice tin of heavily processed meat! No Spam

6.We landed on Australia because we stole rule 6.

7.And then once released we went and stole rule 7.

8.Here in Aussie, a bit of stupidity- like trying to tickle a brown snake, can get you killed. No Stupidity! But the long hot days need a bit of humour to help them pass. Silliness, on the other hand, is allowed

Winners of the Order of Australia:
100: DominicusUltimus
476:
500:
1000:
1066:
1337:
1415:
1500:
1788:
1901:
2000:
2500:

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 08-16-2017 @ 01:23 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 07-29-20 10:04 PM EDT (US)     426 / 462       
At this rate, we'll be able to change the party theme just in time for the Covid vaccine parties...

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 07-31-20 05:14 AM EDT (US)     427 / 462       
More likely, the Tenth Anniversary of the Corona Vaccine.

Supposedly, a vaccine for Covid was developed in nearby Leiden, and is now in the human-testing phase. It will be interesting to see if it works, or does it fizzle out like the Seattle one.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 08-01-20 08:37 PM EDT (US)     428 / 462       
And even if it does work, it remains to be seen how effective it might be. I think the current requirement is that it be 50% more effective than no vaccine at preventing infection, but that's not 100% effective, which might make it much closer to a flu vaccine than say the polio or smallpox vaccines.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-02-20 06:01 AM EDT (US)     429 / 462       
There is a secondary problem with Corona, they discovered. Mainly, that the antibodies the immune system builds evaporate after a few months. This means that one is immune to the disease for only a bit, then can get infected again.

The thing leaves some persistent damage, meaning repeatedly catching the thing will lead to eventual organ failure (lungs).

Still, the main killer is not the disease itself, but all the complications it causes.

Go figure, eh?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 08-04-20 08:16 PM EDT (US)     430 / 462       
I do feel like that's often the case with widely infectious diseases; the complications and side effects are what actually kill you, while the disease itself just sets the stage for them to do so.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-05-20 11:53 AM EDT (US)     431 / 462       
The common flu kills about 100.000 per year, mainly due to that- acting as a catalyst for others to finish the host off.

Another fun factoid- I heard on the news that around 6000 in the Netherlands die of the common flu per year, due to the above, naturally. This year only 600. Now the fun part: did the other 5400 get written off as corona and added to those deaths, or did the corona prevention lockdown and assorted measures stop the flu as well as slowing corona?

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 08-05-20 05:40 PM EDT (US)     432 / 462       
I suspect in the Netherlands, it's a bit of both. Here in the States, I don't know how many people have died of the flu so far, but I know that anyone who has Covid when they die is considered a Covid death- even if they got run over by a car.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-07-20 11:59 AM EDT (US)     433 / 462       
Is that why there are so many Covid deaths in the US?

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 08-07-20 08:01 PM EDT (US)     434 / 462       
I think that contributes to the numbers a bit, but most of it is due to people not wearing masks, doing stupid things like gathering in large groups, and the generally "looser" culture of the US that leads to less compliance with good medical/scientific advice.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-08-20 03:55 AM EDT (US)     435 / 462       
The RIVM (Dutch CDC) says that the number of cases is starting to rise dramatically, and that most of it among the younger folks. Most of the people entering hospital are older folks, which means the younger people (we do not fear corona, we won't die from it) are passing it on to the older people (who will).

The Young think they are invulnerable, and mainly that is true, but they fail to realize that they can carry that stuff to people who are no longer invulnerable.

Unless they are doing it on purpose, to remove the older generations so they can inherit their wealth and jobs?

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 08-09-20 05:50 PM EDT (US)     436 / 462       
Are you talking about cases in the Netherlands, or in the US?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-11-20 12:07 PM EDT (US)     437 / 462       
Netherlands.

I don't know how the young in the New World are handling this pandemic. I have only seen the interviews with the arrogant ones here in Netherlands.

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 08-11-20 10:38 PM EDT (US)     438 / 462       
That sounds similar to the US, though many younger people are finding out to their dismay that just because they're less likely to become really sick or die doesn't mean they can't.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-13-20 01:02 PM EDT (US)     439 / 462       
I love youthful math!

Less Likely = Won't.

Thus if I am less likely to get sick and die, I won't. Some other person will.

I know it is perverted and grisly, but I do get a kick out of obnoxious people who spread the disease by being careless get caught up in it and find out to their horror that Less Likely = Less Likely, but Sick = Sick and Dead = Dead.

I feel bad for those who are not obnoxious, though. I am human, after all.

I think.

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 08-13-20 08:47 PM EDT (US)     440 / 462       
Just because you've have been around for a long time doesn't necessarily make you non-human. Though maybe there's something to that...

I saw an article a few months ago about an Italian man who'd had the Spanish Flu who became sick with Covid and had to go to the hospital, but survived and recovered enough to go home.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-14-20 12:14 PM EDT (US)     441 / 462       
Wow! There is a hundred years between the two, so he must be nearly as ancient as I.

And from thy tale, blessed with good fortune as well to survive acquiring two such maladies.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 08-14-2020 @ 12:15 PM).]

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 08-14-20 05:48 PM EDT (US)     442 / 462       
And two world wars, along with the Great Depression.

Sometimes it's the tough old ones you have to watch out for.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-21-20 12:15 PM EDT (US)     443 / 462       

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 08-25-20 06:59 PM EDT (US)     444 / 462       
Guess looting season is in full swing, this time in Kenosha, Wisconsin, a city between Milwaukee and Chicago.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 08-26-20 01:02 PM EDT (US)     445 / 462       
Is it September already?

Well, almost. Looting season generally follows raiding season, which follows battle season which itwself follows planting season.

what fools. They ought to wait with looting season until AFTER harvest season. Then you can eat well as well as dress well and enjoy fine wines and beer.

Oh, you are talking about that noise up in the Land of Cowshit and BeerFarts?

Sad that. I don't know why the marshal put a bullet or seven into that man, or even if he was a real marshal. I would definitely like to know why, though. Was he retarded, plain stupid, or was there a real and credible threat to his own life?

I like to ask these things before charging off with axe and helm to loot the local tavern in an effort to liberate ale.

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 09-01-20 08:30 PM EDT (US)     446 / 462       
I like to ask these things before charging off with axe and helm to loot the local tavern in an effort to liberate ale.
Unfortunately, asking much about anything seems to be in short supply amongst certain groups in the US right now. I was talking to my father, who was around for the race riots in the late 1960's and he pointed out that they were much worse- almost 50 people were killed during the Detroit Riot in 67 alone and they had to call in the Airborne. Let's hope things don't reach that level this time around.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-02-20 12:21 PM EDT (US)     447 / 462       
No rubber bullets, water cannon or tear gas back then, either. The violence led to force being used, that force was lead bullets aimed at living bodies.

A lot of people died, but the rioting subsided.

I am still pretty amazed at how fast "Black Lives Matter" (a cause I could support) became "Only Black Lives Matter". They should have called the movement "Black Lives Matter Too" from the get-go, a unifying name and not an excluding one.

Ichbinian
Mariner
posted 09-02-20 04:12 PM EDT (US)     448 / 462       
At least we have Tenet.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 09-04-20 10:38 PM EDT (US)     449 / 462       
At least we have Tenet.
How was it? I've heard it has an Inception-level twisty plot. And what was it like seeing it in theatres where you are? Any pandemic related safety measures?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09-05-20 08:12 AM EDT (US)     450 / 462       
That is opening here on Thursday.

It looks enticing.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 16 17 18 19  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames