Weíre sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH Ľ

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.457 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 01-10-17 11:52 PM EDT (US)         
Australia: The Land Where Everything IS Trying to Kill You

THATíS right everyone- of course I would do an Australian themed Holy Roman Party. Or should I say HOLY AUSTRALIAN PARTY! Australia is the land of Dangerous Animals, dangerous weather, and dangerous women! Our cemeteries are so full cause everyone is dying to get in them! Itís a land where most of the people believe that centuries of injustice to the aboriginal peoples can be wiped away by a little apology!

Oh, and by the by, Australiaís military record is pretty good too! You would expect people from a land where the weather, women and animals are so dangerous to be pretty decent shots- and hardy! Aussies and New Zealanders paired together in World War One creating one of the worldís most iconic and instantly recognised acronyms- ANZAC. Australia is proud (and very defensive) of its ANZAC tradition- so fine travellers, when you get to Australia donít mention that most of our troops in WW1 were aggressive and violent thieves and brawlers, even though they most certainly were!

Although Australians love to break the rules, these are some that cannot be broken in this thread:

1.Donít be a flamin Galah (look this up if necessary)! No Flaming

2.Trolls were left behind in Europe due to the lack of space on the convict ships. No Trolling

3.Fishing is one of Australiaís prime industries, we just donít like competition. No Baiting

4.We really tire of hearing how we are all descended from convicts- so donít tell us more then once a week! No double posting unless a week has passed

5.Only the golden oldies still love a nice tin of heavily processed meat! No Spam

6.We landed on Australia because we stole rule 6.

7.And then once released we went and stole rule 7.

8.Here in Aussie, a bit of stupidity- like trying to tickle a brown snake, can get you killed. No Stupidity! But the long hot days need a bit of humour to help them pass. Silliness, on the other hand, is allowed

Winners of the Order of Australia:
100: DominicusUltimus
476:
500:
1000:
1066:
1337:
1415:
1500:
1788:
1901:
2000:
2500:

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 08-16-2017 @ 01:23 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 02-20-18 11:09 AM EDT (US)     176 / 457       
That's a pity because I wanted to link Sev's and SubRosa's defence campaigns on reddit, and their pictures were all down.
We still accept new content, but as the games are ten years old and counting, not much new stuff is being generated anymore. Dagovax has created a wonderful mod- a total overhaul to Holland: Total War which came out really nice. Another is working on tweaking his game, but that's about all the life there is left outside the Tavern.
Got a link? I'm interested to poke it.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 02-20-2018 @ 11:12 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 02-20-18 11:33 AM EDT (US)     177 / 457       
It should be somewhere in this thread.

Nice seeing you back for a visit, EoJ!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 02-20-18 12:17 PM EDT (US)     178 / 457       
Hah, looks funny. Sort of in the spirit of Bandito's Mongolphobia.

Yeah I got the e-mail from Ich about JohnDisp passing so logged back in again. I still interact with chunks of people on facebook though- congratulations are in order for a certain someone on getting engaged

Jax
HG Monument
(id: Jax Omen)
posted 02-21-18 08:35 AM EDT (US)     179 / 457       
So they decided to host their own forums and not to visit the unofficial sites.
Also stuff like Reddit exists now. If I want to join in a discussion about something I'm a million times more likely to go find the subreddit for it using an account which I already have and with a reasonable expectation of what the quality of discussion will be vs joining a random fansite which I know nothing about.

house won this
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 02-23-18 04:03 AM EDT (US)     180 / 457       
I still interact with chunks of people on facebook though- congratulations are in order for a certain someone on getting engaged
Thanks EoJ, i will pass the message on to my future wife.

EoJ speaks the truth, i got engaged to my long time girlfriend on the 16th of this month. We have been together for about 6.5 years, so i thought it was about time i locked her down officially.

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 02-23-18 11:18 AM EDT (US)     181 / 457       
Also stuff like Reddit exists now. If I want to join in a discussion about something I'm a million times more likely to go find the subreddit for it using an account which I already have and with a reasonable expectation of what the quality of discussion will be vs joining a random fansite which I know nothing about.
Although the decline of the fansite industry did precede reddit and Reddit's large scale adoption

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 02-23-18 12:29 PM EDT (US)     182 / 457       
So, Wings for rings... Hmmm, can we expect eaglets shortly after the impending ceremony?

That is the natural progression, is it not, even in these chaotic days? Meet, fall in love, betrothal, exchange of rings and salt, common roof, rugrats and or sprouts.

(Some things never change, only the means and order.)

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 02-23-2018 @ 12:31 PM).]

Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 02-23-18 03:55 PM EDT (US)     183 / 457       
Holy buckets it's been a while since I've been around these parts. How is everyone doing? Good to see some of you old folks are still around!

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 02-24-18 10:21 AM EDT (US)     184 / 457       
Is that a jibe because you were expecting me to be in the ground by now?

Welcome back, Punic!

How is the navy treating you?

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 02-25-18 06:14 PM EDT (US)     185 / 457       
So, Wings for rings... Hmmm, can we expect eaglets shortly after the impending ceremony?

That is the natural progression, is it not, even in these chaotic days? Meet, fall in love, betrothal, exchange of rings and salt, common roof, rugrats and or sprouts.

(Some things never change, only the means and order.)
Haha, maybe not too soon. Today i have just started my PhD program in History as well. So for the next few years we shall be a bit too poor and a bit too busy for little eaglets. But be rest assured Terikel, some of my prodigy will be around to hassle you in a couple decades!

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 02-28-18 12:33 PM EDT (US)     186 / 457       
Shortly is well... relative.

Remember my assumed age. To me, a decade is a blink of an eye.

Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 03-01-18 12:46 PM EDT (US)     187 / 457       
Is that a jibe because you were expecting me to be in the ground by now?

Welcome back, Punic!

How is the navy treating you?
With all your gray hair I'd imagine you and the earth are one and the same

The Navy is fine. I did one enlistment, one deployment to the Persian Gulf in 2013/4 and am now in the Reserves. Going to college for Social Studies Education, raising a little Phoenician and making my way in the world.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03-02-18 11:09 AM EDT (US)     188 / 457       
To be honest, the Earth does pre-date me by a few billion years.

A little Phoenician? Is his (or her) name Hebil, or Dido? Hannibal was a good name until some ass tied it to a homicidal and cannabalistic maniac. Hamilcar is still relatively untouched. Don't go with Mago or Hasdrubal though- bad memories of them abound. I can't imagine you inflicting a nice barbarian name like Terikel on your descendants.

Social Studies... That is like History with other fuzzy subjects thrown in, like Political Science (what a misnomer, almost oxymoronic!), Archaeology (though low-scale) and sociology, right? An interesting choice!

Remind me to tell you of a game we played when I was young- "Messed Up World"- when you get to the part about teaching more modern European History (like after the Colonial Rush, around just after the Franco-Prussian War).

Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 03-02-18 02:12 PM EDT (US)     189 / 457       
Alas, I tried to get a historical name, even if it was only a middle name, but his mother wouldn't agree. Settled on Grant for a name, with our grandfather's names as his middle ones.

Essentially, yes. History, civics, economic studies, psychology and so on. A finger in many pies, but not terrible in depth in all of them. Though in my Western Civ class, our professor did go slightly more in detail about the Punic Wars than I've seen anyone else go (not even of my prompting!) which was refreshing lol.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03-03-18 01:12 PM EDT (US)     190 / 457       
It is a good thing thou dost live in the Frigid North and not the Balmy South, where the slayer Ulysses S Grant carved a bloody swath that severed the Confederacy from itself, and eventually ground the Grand Old Army into bloody dust. That name is historically laden, and not for the good in the South, though quite a solid name anywhere else. Just don't tell your wife about that, lest she decide to change it to something very unhistorical, like Wesley or Chad.

I assume from the plural of grandfather that thou does not share a grandfather? That would make ye cousins, though marriage to and production of heirs with is tolerated in Alabama (according to the Wierd Al Yankovich song, 'Constipated'), where the name Grant might not be so popular.

And I really hope that the grandfathers are not named Wesley or Chad. My mention of those names was strictly for demonstration of the unhistory attached to those names- I cannot recall a single general or warlord with those names. And I knew quite a few. So this was not a case of 'Open Mouth, Insert Foot' as usually is with me.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 03-03-2018 @ 01:18 PM).]

Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 03-05-18 12:27 PM EDT (US)     191 / 457       
He was actually born in Virginia, and currently resides there (that's where his mother lives, long, complicated story) so his name is somewhat relevant. Though I do think the rebel is strong in him

Yes, we have separate grandfathers. Northerners have to buck that Southern tradition Though the grandfathers did indeed have names with a grand tradition. Much better than the middle name of Jody that his mother wanted. Especially with the connotation that the military has with that particular name!

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03-06-18 12:28 PM EDT (US)     192 / 457       
Grant in Virginia... Though the victor over the idolized Robert E. Lee, he was not seen so much by Virginians as a slayer and butcher like William Tecumseh Sherman is by the Georgians. He should be fine.

It is nice to have little ones, is it not? After all, one must be a Seraph in order to take it with you into the Afterlife (whatever It is), so the little ones make nice new owners for all our well-loved trinkets and armaments.

By the way, an AK-Forty-Frikkin-Seven? Really? You couldn't find a nice M1 or Bren Gun of even M16A2?

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 03-06-18 09:06 PM EDT (US)     193 / 457       
Congratulations on your engagement and starting your PhD, Awesome!!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 03-13-18 04:10 PM EDT (US)     194 / 457       
Thanks GS. It is rather an exciting time for me these days. Alot of new things to occupy my time.

On a side note, the cost of a wedding these days is insane. I mean, i knew they were pricy, but DAAAUUUUMMM... :/

Jax
HG Monument
posted 03-14-18 04:22 AM EDT (US)     195 / 457       
Our wedding was ****ing amazing and "only" cost just over £8k or so for about 100 guests (60 at the day), and I didn't feel like we had to cut corners, we had a pretty traditional wedding in an amazing venue.

That's still obviously an insane amount of money, but it's a far cry from the £20-30k+ you see people spend sometimes. We were engaged for 3 years and it wasn't too difficult to save up that amount over that period.

house won this
Ichbinian
Mariner
posted 03-14-18 09:25 AM EDT (US)     196 / 457       
My wedding cost just over 10K CAD (5500 GBP) - thankfully my father-in-law's business is off the charts right now, as he paid for just about everything. I paid for some of the booze, and my dad kicked in some cash too. We had about 170 people there.

I used to have a side hustle working for a ritzy catering company, and their plates were minimum $100. Some of the weddings I worked at were easily 50K CAD for 100 people.

Ichbinian
Oldie from RTWH!
Jax
HG Monument
posted 03-14-18 11:17 AM EDT (US)     197 / 457       
170, sounds like a big bash!

I bloody love weddings. It's probably the only traditional part of me that there is.

house won this
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 03-15-18 04:01 PM EDT (US)     198 / 457       
We are looking at having a pretty small wedding of about 50 or so people, and even that looks like it will probably cost about $12000 base. Luckily we have about 2 years to save though so we should be fine. That being said, we are looking at doing a little bit of a destination wedding to Melbourne (AUS), as that is where we got engaged, and we love that city.

Jax
HG Monument
posted 03-16-18 03:01 AM EDT (US)     199 / 457       
I love weddings so much, it was easily the best day of my life.

house won this
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03-16-18 12:49 PM EDT (US)     200 / 457       
Mine were also nice.

The first was about $ 50, for the paperwork and the clerk.

The second cost more, because we had more than just us and the Terikelings attending, but I do not know the price of that one- someone else paid.

I liked both of them.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8 9 10 ··· 19  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames