We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.101 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Of God and Kings: Reformation Map Game
Bottom
Topic Subject:Of God and Kings: Reformation Map Game
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Scenter102
Mariner
posted 11-08-14 01:33 PM EDT (US)         
The World on January 1, 1520

The Catholic church has become corrupt and bloated. So much so that a monk named Martin Luther has found 95 issues with the church and nailed them to a door. The Pope has ordered him to recant, but Luther has dared to defy the church. Luther is also begining to find supporters and gain a following. History is about to change, how will nations react?

The Great Powers
The Papacy(Popeychops): The Catholic church controls the majority of the European world, but, it has it's own problems. Many people are starting to feel that the church is becoming bloated and corrupt. Up until Martin Luther, none of the sever critics have been reachable and killable, but Luther is being protected by the duke of Saxony.

Spain(Excelsior): Ruled by the Habsburg family, the traditional Holy Roman Emperors, Spain has risen to be the most powerful European country with their holdings in the New World. Charles V, the one and true king of Spain, also has familial ties with Austria and England. Spain's major rival of the day is the Valois held France. Charles V is a devout Catholic.

England(Awesome Eagle): Ruled by Henry VIII, England is an island nation. England's navy is considered one of the best in the world. The English have a long drawn rivalry with the French. Which has made war seem eminent, up until recently that is. Henry has been seeking an alliance with the French at the suggestion of his trusted adviser Wolsey. Henry is a devout Catholic and is writing a book denouncing the reformer Martin Luther. Henry's wife, a relative of Charles V, has been unable to bear children.

France(Alex the Bold): Ruled by Francis of the Valois family, France has been one of the most powerful countries in Europe since the Hundred Years War. France has a rivalry with Spain and England.

The Lesser Powers

Scotland(Lucius Julius): Currently ruled by a regent and in the Shadow of England, Scotland may face civil war over the who has more control over the future King.

Austria(Punic Hebil): Austria is one of the major electors of the Holy Roman Empire, and is currently ruled by Ferdinand II who also has a claim to the Hungarian throne through marriage.

Wallachia(Dominicus Ultimus): currently allied with
the Hungarians and supported by the Ottomans. Wallachia is a member of the Orthodox church. It also supplies the Ottomans with military supplies.

Sweden(Jetkill): Sweden is facing invasion by Denmark and is currently outmatched and on the verge of losing the conflict.

Bavaria(Hannibal): one of the electors to the Holy Roman Emperor, Bavaria holds some minor power in the Empire.

The Rules

Basically, as long as it makes sense you can do it, I reserve the right to make things more interesting(who wants alien invasions?) if I so choose though I'll try to make the random events more historical than fiction. Please bold your commands using [b][/b]. Every Saturday marks the end of a year, but I will post in between them.

If anyone has any issues(or if I missed someone) let me know.

[This message has been edited by Scenter102 (edited 11-08-2014 @ 03:23 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Lucius Julius
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 03:29 AM EDT (US)     26 / 101       
The Regent understands the situation with the English taxation system and hopes that it can be resolved soon, The Regent also proposes that Henry VIII could maybe visit Edinburgh to see King James V then stay for several days of hunting with The Regent.

While awaiting the King's advisers about what to do with the rebellious Scots, The Regent proposes a new tax called "The Farming Tax", he tells the council that at the end of every harvest each farmer must pay 35% of their total profit (money wise) to the Royal Treasury and the King. He hopes that if this new tax law is introduced the Kingdom could be a little more richer.

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Matria Mori - It is sweet and meet to die for one's country.

We all die in the end, it only matters when and how - Me

Roma Invicta!

[This message has been edited by Lucius Julius (edited 11-11-2014 @ 06:21 AM).]

Excelsior
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 09:34 AM EDT (US)     27 / 101       
Mary is what, four? Otherwise I'd go for it.

@SCENTOR:In order to make it easier on you and me, I’m not going to announce any economic investments, unless I find something absolutely tantalizing. Instead, I’m going to work off Spain’s historical approach of New World expansion and large tax bases to fund anything I need to do, and try to avoid bankrupting Europe by extensive wars.

If you don’t mind, consider every year that I’m not in war/preparing for war as small, reasonable economic advancement. This should most easily simulate me not raising taxes to pay for wars, and allowing my subjects to invest in their economic futures. It would also avoid arguments as to what qualifies as good investments, why so-and-so’s investments pay better than others, etc. Economic treaties should still help, however.

Duke William
Charles informs his loyal friend that he is perfectly free to make trade agreements with the French, but he cautions him to be careful and not allow Bavaria’s economy to become solely dependant on French trade. War with the Valois is imminent, should the French continue their machinations to acquire the Low Lands, Navarre, and Italy. If this can be avoided Charles will be certain to do so. He assures William that Charles intends to work with the Pope and through diplomacy as much as possible to prevent needless wars with the French.

On the note of “special assignments,” Charles asks Duke William to perform one for him. It has come to his attention that the Danish have executed all the nobility of Sweden, in the “Bloodbath of Stockholm.” The Danes are also annoying Dutch and Hanse merchants with their exactions. Charles asks the duke to assemble an Imperial army of some 20,000, and lead a punitive expedition against the Danes, giving Gustav Vasa time to restore order in Sweden. Charles informs the Duke that Sweden will prove a valuable economic ally very shortly, especially if Sweden is able to form a union with Norway, and, if possible, Denmark.

This war will require much preparation. Supplies, logistics, and even a reserve army should the Danes defeat the first will be necessary. Charles expects the preparations to take the rest of the year, and the invasion will take place the following year. Successfully prosecuting this war will give the Imperial generals and advisors experience that will prove vital in the future.

PAPACY
Charles sends emissaries to the Pope, informing the Pope that Charles, as the Holy Roman Emperor, feels it necessary to push back the hordes of the Ottoman infidels, and to defend Christendom. However, Charles feels that a more powerful alliance could be formed if the Pope were to design it, rather than Charles himself. Charles feels certain he could develop a strong alliance between Italy, the Empire, and Spain by himself, but the Holy Alliance would be more powerful if the Pope would give it his sanction and support.

Charles outlines the following plan:
Firstly, two years of preparation. Navies must be prepared, armies equipped, supply lines developed, allies made, etc.

Secondly, a multi-pronged, multi-continental attack. Charles will enter into diplomacy with the Safavid and Mamluks, thus bringing Persia and Egypt against the Ottomans.

A combined Imperial and Italian attack on the Balkans. Greek Orthodox Christians are still the most numerous inhabitants, and will rise heavily in support of the Christians.

A Hungarian-Imperial attack in the Black Sea area. This will be followed up by Naval control, if possible.

An Italian and Spanish naval war to gain the Levant. This will be supported by the

Spanish General Corduba will lead an assault from Naples and Sicily on the Pelopennesus and the Greek isles, in order to gain naval bases for the Spanish fleet, and to force the Turkish fleet to only operate where they can get supplies from Asia Minor. Corduba will almost undoubtedly be joined by some 10,000 Maniots and an estimated 50,000 other Greeks from the Peloppenessus.

A Spanish invasion of North Africa.

Charles expects that the Balkan, Black Sea, and Naval initiatives will take several years to finalize. He believes the North African and Greek Isle operations will be successful much sooner, as Ottoman warpower will be busy elsewhere, and will be cut off from North Africa.

As soon as North Africa is consolidated, and the time ready, the Spanish fleet and army will launch the final assault by striking Syria. The Turkish forces should be spread out in every direction but Syria, and striking Syria will render the Ottoman Empire completely fragmented. Taxes and supplies will only be able to reach Asia Minor by the Caucasus Mountains, which have large Christian populations.

Charles believes that his plan offers both the necessary elements of pushing back the Turkish expansion, and a plan to effectively end the war by taking Syria and the Holy Land.

This plan may sound stupid, to go up against the Ottomans like this, but you must recall Spain did historically go up against them, albeit ten or twenty years later. My plan involves making an alliance with the Safavids earlier than Spain historically did, as well as bringing on war with the Turks before Europe is bankrupted by the Hapsburg-Valois wars.

France Charles states that all the Burgundian territories he currently owns were inherited from his ancestors, the dukes of Burgundy. He is uncertain as to what Francis is talking about, and feels a personal meeting would be fruitless unless a basic outline is at least provided, with reasonable doubts being provided against Charles' rights.

SCENTOR Charles orders a tercio to be sent to Navarre, to train with the current garrison in Navarre. He expects the mountainous terrain to be ideal for training the men for war in the Balkans.

Another tercio is sent to supplement the garrison in the Netherlands, due to the impending war with the Danes. Orders are given to build a squadron of warships in the Netherlands to support the existing fleet against the Danish.

Orders are sent to General Corduba in Naples, outlining the war plans against the Turks. His advice is requested, as well as orders given to increase the army for the expedition. Corduba is also warned about apparent French efforts to reestablish a presence in Northern Italy, where Corduba drove them out a few years earlier. Charles assures Corduba that they will again contest French ambitions in Northern Italy with force if need be, and gives him permission to prepare for such a conflict.

I assume that, as Corduba is in Naples, there will be no conflict between Spanish and French forces unless we explicitly move north. I don’t mind having a strong defense.

"It looks like a huge shark just took a bite out of Excelsior's ass"-Colonel Kyle Riggs, Star Force: Storm Assault

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 11-11-2014 @ 08:32 PM).]

Jetkill Fastmurder
Mariner
(id: Mayank Sharma)
posted 11-11-14 09:48 AM EDT (US)     28 / 101       
On the note of “special assignments,” Charles asks Duke William to perform one for him. It has come to his attention that the Danish have executed all the nobility of Sweden, in the “Bloodbath of Stockholm.
That doesn't happen before November this year. trololol

Or should I assume that it happened already? That would justify my playing as Gustav, otherwise he was not in the picture before his father was killed in the massacre. Any clarifications from host?

Also, "special assignments" may not be what Hannibal was expecting.

EDIT: Sorry if this was not supposed to be in this thread. I will not reply to Excelsior's actions for now.

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor" - Alexis Carrel
Dawn of Fantasy Heaven Census II

[This message has been edited by Jetkill Fastmurder (edited 11-11-2014 @ 10:21 AM).]

Excelsior
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 09:58 AM EDT (US)     29 / 101       
Well, I assumed if you were playing Gustav, then the bloodbath happened. If not, I'm fine with the edit button.

And yes, I'm assuming Hannibal was thinking of hunting down Luther and Protestants.

"It looks like a huge shark just took a bite out of Excelsior's ass"-Colonel Kyle Riggs, Star Force: Storm Assault

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 11-11-2014 @ 11:11 AM).]

Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 01:51 PM EDT (US)     30 / 101       
Only diplomacy this time...

HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE

Francis is surprised that the emperor does not remember that the nominal overlord of the dukes of Burgundy, the French king Louis XI absorbed the duchy when the last male heir died, according to the Salic law. The Emperor controls Flanders and Artois, which were part of the duchy of Burgundy and were conquered by emperor Maximilian, who illegaly claimed them through his marriage to Mary of Burgundy. King Francis is willing to discuss a compromise.

In addition, he proposes that both the Emperor and Francis sign a treaty of not intervening in Italy for 10 years.The pesky Italians should be able to rule themselves anyway!

Furthermore, the matter of king Francis' relative, Henry II of Navarre, who lost his lawful kingdom due to Castilian-Aragonese aggression, should be settled.

SCOTLAND
Unfortunately, king Francis has no close, unmarried, female relatives fit to marry the King of Scotland. However, he promises to protect the young king in case of emergency.

ENGLAND
King Francis send his regards to King Henry of England. He proposes that both monarchs guarantee the safety of the young King of Scotland against any rebels.

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Hannibal the Conqueror
Mariner
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 11-11-14 02:01 PM EDT (US)     31 / 101       
Damn you.

Duke William is pleased to know that his Highness is open-minded as to conducting trade agreements with the Valois. He wishes to reassure the King that Duke William is as cunning as they come, and will be sure not to give the French any advantage in our trade deals. He agrees with the King's planned course of action; drawing out wars with the French will mean unnecessary bloodshed for our soldiers, so it would be prudent to use diplomacy and have the Pope exert some pressure on the French.

The Duke is delighted by the special task the King has for him, and expects that the expedition will be sent in several months, at most a year. However, he requests that the logistics for the expedition be provided from Holsten and Bremen, but all will be paid for from the coffers of the House of Wittelsbach and the funds the Bavarian Circle will provide. This will be the most prudent form of action. William agrees with the King about Sweden being a valuable ally, economically and politically. He suggests that the King uses his weight to form another Union, similar to the Kalmar Union in structure, with Sweden at the head. In the matter of the expedition, he requests that some of the King's military advisors come to Bavaria to supervise the training and preparation of the invasion force, and maybe pass on some of their experiences to the officers and the commanders.

ECONOMY

The Duke orders all infrastructural projects to be halted for an additional year or two, until such a time where the army won't be mobilized and no campaigns would in progress. The only exception is the People's Information Institute project.
Cancelled. Continue as planned.

POLITICS

The Duke sends emissaries to the members of the Bavarian Circle, asking for funding and contributions in terms of military personnel and equipment, as the Duke is assembling an army on the orders of the King, an army of at least 20,000 men. Instead of regular gendarmes, we need most of the infantry to be equipped with arquebus'. (no information is to be given to the emissaries as to why the army is being assembled) It is a great thing the King asks of us, but the burden is shared so we would profit by gaining the King's favor.

MILITARY

Duke William orders the commander of the army of Bavaria to begin preparations for assembling an Imperial army of at least 20,000 men. Funds from the Bavarian Circle and the Imperial coffers will be given funneled through our tax collectors and trusted bureaucrats so that no corruption would occur. This being an Imperial order, the commander would do well to put in his best.

OLD ORDERS

Duke William requests that the duchal spymaster prepares an assassin for his personal use. This matter is of the utmost importance, and must remain a secret.

Duke William requests a copy of Austria's coat of arms, or banner, be made ready for use as soon as possible.

The Duke requests that the spymaster keeps watch on Duke Louis X, with a spy or two, but nothing extensive. Enough surveillance to make sure that his brother is doing no harm to anyone. The spies are to monitor which brothels or "pleasure establishments" my cursed brother visits, and make note of their locations. Any other suspicious activity should be included in the final report, in writing. Remember, this order was never given.

I request an emissary to be sent to King Charles I, informing him of the full support he has from Bavaria's people, clergy and nobility, as well as my own personal goodwill. The emissary shall ask whether the King has any "special" tasks in which I may aid him.

A new institution, called the "People's Information Institute", is to be formed by ducal decree. Men of intellect, cunning and wit are to be picked as supervisors in this new institute, and the best of them will be granted the position of Overseer. This institute shall operate in secret, until a time where its discovery will be deemed appropriate. The members of the institute are to work on developing certain lines of speech which peasants will seem most drawn to, particularly patriotic and glorious sentiments that empower the peasants; the members must work to develop guidelines which the organisation will follow. The primary objective of this organisation is to smear the enemies of the Duchy or the States-General, particularly rebels, and sway public opinion when necessary. The members shall build the organisation accordingly. Funding will be provided for from our coffers, but the funds required should be within the bounds of reason.

A diplomatic mission is to be sent to each of the following nations, carrying the warm wishes of Duke William and seeking to establish increased trade relations and activity between Bavaria and the other party. The nations are;

England. Spain. Sweden. Scotland.

An emissary to France will be sent, but the emissary will carry no trade offer, but rather the goodwill of Duke William.

The roads in the Duchy are to be improved, so that the volume of trade improves. There should be a minimum burden on the coffers because of this project, but additional funds may be granted if there is a need for the same.

Roads which fall under the lands of the nobility and other wealthy members of Bavarian society will have half the usual funding provided to the workers for renovation and upgrade, with the other half of the funding expected to be given from the nobles whose lands contain a portion of the aforementioned roads.

Agricultural equipment in Bavaria is to be improved over a period of one year. An offer will be given to Bavarian landowners and nobility which is as follows;

The Duchy will provide the funds for this agricultural renovation upto a limit, that is 60 percent. The rest of the amount must be provided by landowners and nobles. Those who refuse this offer will receive no financial assistance from the Duchy if they change their minds in the future.

Yeah, I think that covers it all.

Duke William is delighted at the prompt response given by his Highness King Francis, and graciously accepts the invitation. However, he reminds King Francis that if King Charles refuses, the Duke is also legally bound to refuse, in agreement with the decision of his monarch.

Duke William wishes to hold a States-General session soon. Preparations for the same are to be made.

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."

[This message has been edited by Hannibal the Conqueror (edited 11-11-2014 @ 03:14 PM).]

Scenter102
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 02:29 PM EDT (US)     32 / 101       
Oh god what have I done to myself. For my own sanity, please italisise diplomacy and bold stuff directed at me. The update is on it's way.
Excelsior
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 02:30 PM EDT (US)     33 / 101       
Damn who? Me?
Bavaria Charles reminds Duke William that this is an Imperial army...the costs come from the Imperial treasury, primarily. Charles suggests that the army composition that his generals have found relatively useful is the basic rule of thirds: landsknecht, arquebus/crossbow (since not everyone has guns yet), and ritters (German all-round medium cavalry, if someone asks).

Spanish advisors and officers will certainly be sent.

(I know an army is more varied than this, with assault troops, siege equipment, and so forth, this is just basics to keep it simple for Scentor.)

France Ah yes, that pesky Salic law. Flanders is non-negotiable, as the birthplace and hometown of the emperor himself; indeed, it has not been mentioned in treaties for awhile. Artois was ceded to the Imperial throne by the French in the Treaty of Senlis, 1493. Here, the French kings broke their promise to marry the prince Charles to Maximillian's daughter, and instead married Anne of Brittany. As a result of this breach of oath on the part of the French kings, the Treaty of Senlis righted this wrong by returning all of the lowland possessions to the emperor, while the French retained the duchy of Burgundy itself.

Regarding Navarre and Italy, the last two points, the Emperor reminds Francis that France gave up its claims to Navarre in the Treaty of Noyon.

The treaty also has a provision regarding nonintervention, so accepting this point again is no problem.

EDIT: It is done, milord.

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 11-11-2014 @ 03:17 PM).]

Hannibal the Conqueror
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 03:12 PM EDT (US)     34 / 101       
Well I did bring this on myself now didn't I

HRE - This was an act of good will, the funding of the army, but orders that were given have been cancelled, we shall proceed as his Highness wishes. Our officers and bureaucrats shall co-ordinate the transfer of funds from the Imperial coffers to our army, in preparation for the forming of the army. Moreover, the army composition shall be kept as King Charles' generals wish. I will not disclose the purpose for this surprising order to anyone, and hopefully everything shall go according to plan.

The Duke thanks King Charles for the generals and advisors, they have only just arrived to Munich and we will be putting their matters in order.

"I long for Darkness."

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."

[This message has been edited by Hannibal the Conqueror (edited 11-11-2014 @ 03:14 PM).]

Excelsior
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 03:15 PM EDT (US)     35 / 101       
If you don't like it as a player, I'm open to suggestions/refusals. I'm trying to juggle being as much like an emperor as possible, and still letting others make their own path.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing? I don't think I asked much, that I recall...just be my general/organizer, etc...

Lucius Julius
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 03:19 PM EDT (US)     36 / 101       
The Regent understands and gladly thanks Francis for his promise to help King James V when in need, in exchange The Regent sends a small bag of gold to Francis.

The Regent then asks if King James V can be betrothed to Princess Mary Tudor, if allowed this would increase relations between the two Kingdoms.

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Matria Mori - It is sweet and meet to die for one's country.

Roma Invicta!
Scenter102
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 03:24 PM EDT (US)     37 / 101       
Sweden

The miners rally behind you, giving a much needed boost to your military's numbers. Your army and navy are still at a disadvantage to the Danes though.

The Hansans accept and begin preperations.

The German states collectively decline, as they are contributing to the HRE army coming to help Gustav already.

Wallachia

Wallachia has a small military, sufficient to protect it against an invader.

European nations are neutral to Wallachia at the moment. The Russians seem cold towards you though but they serve no threat.

The people are as happy as they've always been.

France

Portugal requires a royal marriage before they accept.

The military is strong and experienced and ready for war.

The clergy are outraged by your demands. Stating that they will not hand over their monasteries treasures and that King Francis has no authority over them. Their displeasure is beginning to spread to to the peasants, but there is no danger to the throne.

The nobles question your recent actions, but the roads are in good order.

Papacy
Many clergymen and cardinals are outraged by the excommunication of the Sforzas.

Luther agrees to come to Rome. Frederick of Saxony has declared that any harm done to Luther will be returned a thousand times by force of arms. Many other German states agree.

The Italian leaders do form a league, but they express outrage over the excommunication of the Sforzas.

Scotland
Your advisers suggest letting it run it's course, the rivalry will burn itself out.

The new taxes are established, but many highlanders are outraged and have raised their banners against the regent. Even those that promised their support have abandoned you.

Austria

The country is in a good state and there are no complaints. The treasury is in a good state and the military is in good standing.

Diplomats report success on the Bohemian Mission.

England
The nobles gather and await your speech.

Contruction of the roads begins.

The army is established and More has started working, believing that it will take 3 years to optimize.

Spain

The commander can provide no suggestions and agrees to the plan.

Bavaria

The assasian will be fully trained in a year and the coat of arms is produced.

The army will be fully raised in a year.
--------------------------------------

Sorry for grammar mistakes and the like, I'm typing this quickly before work. But I believe I got everything.
Hannibal the Conqueror
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 03:26 PM EDT (US)     38 / 101       
Haha, it's nothing really, but I'm just sobbing over my predicament

But I'm fine with being a general/organizer of yours, you are afterall my monarch, in-game of course.

"I long for Darkness."

Excelsior
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 03:35 PM EDT (US)     39 / 101       
Don't be shy, Hannibal. Flirt with danger. Unless you're planning a revolt or something. That would be a predicament.

PAPACY Charles is displeased by the excommunication of the Sforzas, especially as the cause of the dispute, that of the "usurpation" of Visconti family, is irrelevant; the Visconti family died out in 1447.

Charles sends an ambassador to request the reinstatement of the Sforzas to the Catholic church. If anything, the current Sforzas are good Catholics, and are not guilty of their fathers' "crimes," and they are still in power anyways, and are unlikely to give it up without force. Showing leniency to the Sforzas, and offering them repentance before outright excommunication will almost undoubtedly draw them firmly into the Pope's righteous fold, and also into the Italian Alliance.

Charles also offers his oath of protection to Luther (since he did so anyway, IIRC ).

Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 05:03 PM EDT (US)     40 / 101       
Spain
King Francis reminds the Emperor that with the treaty of Noyon he relinquished his claims to Naples, not Navarre,because he had none. He only wishes to reinstate Henry II, the nominal king who is currently in exile in France.

As of Italy, Francis rules Milan as the rightful descendant of duke Gian Galeazzo Visconti. He doesn't wish to interfere any longer.

POPE
King Francis sends a letter to the Pope,informing him that he wishes to make a pilgrimage to Rome,he also wishes to discuss the posibility of a crusade against the Turks, as many French kings have done before.

King Francis sends a letter to the king of Portugal, proposing the betrothal of his eldest son and heir Francis to the king's daughter, Isabella.

In addition, he sends a letter to every monastery in France, explaining that he simply asked for a COPY of their books, not the original ones.

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 11-11-14 08:04 PM EDT (US)     41 / 101       
Ferdinand is pleased with the success of the Bohemian mission.

The Pope

A herald is dispatched to the Pope, asking for assistance in delegating with the Venetians. Ferdinand wishes to take control of Istria for himself, and the Dalmatian coast for Hungary. He reasons that the Venetians are helping the Ottomans by their trade, which threaten more and more of Christendom, and are on the doorstep of Catholic Europe. These lands will help increase the taxes collected and offer strategic lands from which the two kingdoms may defend themselves, or launch attacks at the Ottomans. Venice is not in a strong enough position from which to defend these lands. Ferdinand has intentions of bringing the fight to the Ottomans and halting their advance into Europe, and to push them as far back as possible.

An edict is to go out to the land stating that a small group of men from each area should be gathered once a season to drill in basic arms handling and tactics. Cavalry forces should drill twice a season. Hungarian forces are invited to join as their kingdoms are closely linked. Should Hungary fall, as will Austria, and as such their militarizes should be familiar with their fighting doctrines.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Lucius Julius
Mariner
posted 11-11-14 11:47 PM EDT (US)     42 / 101       
The Regent sends a message to the clans in the Highlands, saying that the new tax was for farmers only and not cattle owners. He also assures them that the new tax is only temporary and will be abolished once Scotland's coffers are sufficient enough.

With this rebellion beginning to rise, The Regent also asks that all clan leaders are to travel to Edinburgh and swear an oath of loyalty to their King.

[secret] The Regent asks if he has any supporters in the military and the nobility. He also wishes to know if the King has any as well. During that time The Regent wishes to know the statues of the Army in the Lowlands and how many men there are.[secret]

The Regent, realizing that The Farming Tax wasn't the best solution to the money crisis, requests that trade be established between Scotland and Spain and Charles V's colonies in The New World.

Roma Invicta!

[This message has been edited by Lucius Julius (edited 11-12-2014 @ 07:25 AM).]

Hannibal the Conqueror
Mariner
posted 11-12-14 02:49 AM EDT (US)     43 / 101       
Perhaps I am planning a revolt.

Austria

Duke William extends his warm wishes to Archduke Ferdinand, stating that his brother's claim to the Bohemian crown is his problem alone, and that should not affect the relation between the Bavaria and Austria.

He would like to remind Ferdinand that taking a portion of Venetian lands would severely undermine the front with the Ottomans, and it would takes several more years to field an army powerful enough to counter that of the Ottomans. It would be prudent, and in all of our interests, to try and make preparations for an invasion force, and secure the Pope's favor, before initiating such a campaign.

"I long for Darkness."

Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 11-12-14 07:10 AM EDT (US)     44 / 101       
@JetKill

His Holiness is not an arbitrator of temporal matters, except for the preservation of the Holy Church. He wishes a swift end to the hostilities between Christians, but will not interfere so long as Saint's days and Sundays are respected, and the Church in Sweden is not interfered with.

@Jucius Julius

His Holiness confirms that James V is the rightful King of Scotland, and sends to His Grace a banner displaying the Arms of Scotland beside the emblem of the Keys.

@Excelsior

His Holiness is pleased with the suggestion of a Christian alliance against the Ottomans, as such a design would spread the Church wider. He warns, however, that the ambitions of securing Christendom in the Holy Land may prove an impossibility, pointing out the previous failures during the Crusades for Jerusalem.

The Pope does not command any sizeable armies, but will provide what support the Italian states can muster, and administrate the expansion of the Holy Church in the Balkans. It may be necessary to tolerate some Greek rite Churches, until such a time as when the True Faith can be restored.

His Holiness reminds Charles that the line of Vercellino Visconti still runs, and through their Cadet branches the title falls to the House of Valois. Since the title has been usurped de jure, clemency can only be offered if the title is returned to its rightful holder. However, the Pope admits that the King of France has entered into feudal contract with the Sforza Duke as his liege. The Pope proposes a compromise: Francesco II Sforza repentance will be heard, and the King of France will be invited to press his claim on the title of the Duchy of Milan by force.

Italy

The Pope consults the Dukes of the Italian League concerning the Alliance with Spain and the war against the Ottomans. His Holiness proposes that Lords who wish to provide levies may do so under the Pope's banner, as not to put any holdings across the Adriatic into jeopardy. These Lords would be provided with gifts of land and titles after each treaty with the Ottomans, in proportion to their contribution to the cause.

@Alex the Bold

King Francis is welcomed as a guest in Rome, mentioning the proposal of the deposition of the Sforza Duchy.

@Punic Hebil

The Pope informs King Ferdinand that Venice will be required to close its ports to Ottoman shipping by the end of the year, and that Austria may occupy the Venetian ports by force if it fails to comply. He reaffirms the authority of the Hapsburg line over the Hungarian throne.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
Jetkill Fastmurder
Mariner
(id: Mayank Sharma)
posted 11-12-14 08:03 AM EDT (US)     45 / 101       
Gustav thanks the rulers for their replies, and states that he merely wanted to know if any nations would intercede on behalf of Denmark. He thanks Duke William the Fourth for his great support and hopes that the relations between them go an ever ascending path.

He also extends his gratitude towards all the Hansa cities which have decided to aid Sweden in the war effort and reaffirms his pledge to promote trade between them and not close down any Kontors. He also promises to open any existing Kontors which the Danish have shut if he captures them.

Gustav can't thank Holy Roman Emperor enough for his pledge of support and assures him that the Swedish people will be allies of Spain till eternity if he helps them regain their freedom. Sweden will remain forever in the debt of Spain, ever striving to pay it off.

Preparations are to be made for the soldiers of the Hansa cities joining the war (a very impressive number, given that Gustav won with the support of Lubeck alone, and now there are a host of cities) to assemble north of Stockholm. The rest of the army will also join them, when they are equipped. Sweden will not let Stockholm fall. The miners are to be equipped and trained by the veterans.

Gustav leaves his best commanders in charge of the army and goes to Finland to drum up support, telling them how the nation is turning up to fight the Danish and reclaim their independence, and to free them from oppression. He promises to tax only what is necessary to keep the state functioning and raise money through trade and other means instead.

Secure lines of communication are to be established with the Germans so that when they do arrive, the attack can be organized with pinpoint precision.

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor" - Alexis Carrel
Dawn of Fantasy Heaven Census II

[This message has been edited by Jetkill Fastmurder (edited 11-12-2014 @ 08:21 AM).]

Excelsior
Mariner
posted 11-12-14 09:39 AM EDT (US)     46 / 101       
SCENTOR: Charles sends emissaries to the Maniots to open up communications for coordinating the war effort. The mission is to be as secret as possible, and is to mainly consist of preparing the way for the Greeks to have a system of food supplies and logistics support, as well as to have an idea of how many Greeks are likely to join the invasion. (This is essentially planning stages. I don’t really expect a reply, but neither do I want to get to Greece and the mod says, “Oh, btw, ya’ll forgot to plan. Three weeks of starvation and no Greek support.”)

Charles also sends diplomats to the various Greek and Ottoman rulers of the Balkans, seeking an agreement where Greek men and their families are allowed to leave Greece and settle in Sicily and Naples. This will be simply an extension of the current migration of Stratioti from Greece to the west, and should not be particularly suspicious. (Charles desires footmen to be trained in the use of the arquebus and sword-and-buckler for the war. He assumes the stratioti do not need much training or equipping, and he would rather that he not have to transport them and their horses back to Greece.)

Charles also sends diplomats to the Safavid Empire, requesting their support. This will be a long journey, and Charles does not expect the diplomats to reach the Safavids till next year.

ECONOMIC/MILITARY: Charles realizes that, in order to hold Greece, a strong army will be needed immediately for the new country. He therefore orders the enlargement of foundries, and other gun-related buildings, such as shops for making arquebus, gunpowder, etc., with which to supply the Greek recruits. At the very least, should the invasion fail, Charles feels certain that arming the Greek rebels in the mountain will prove a very dangerous thorn in the Ottoman’s side.

Charles also gives instructions to hire Dutch and Genoese shipbuilders to improve the shipyards in several ports where Spanish war vessels are made. Charles expects that using these builders’ expertise and new methods will allow ships to be built somewhat more quickly, as well as be more efficient to handle, giving the Spanish a needed edge or reduction of the tech gap on the Turks, besides the obvious benefit of having more ships available.

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 11-12-2014 @ 03:17 PM).]

Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 11-13-14 01:21 PM EDT (US)     47 / 101       
The Pope assembles the College of Cardinals, and other Theological experts, in order to give serious study to Luther's theses prior to his arrival in Rome. In particular, His Holiness wishes for ways in which he can determine between passages attacking the Church, and those which condemn the abuses of traditions.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 11-13-14 02:39 PM EDT (US)     48 / 101       
King Francis reaches Milan. After a quick inspection of the city's defences, he sets off to Rome as a pilgrim. He is escorted by 100 men of his personal guard and a detachment of 40 mounted scouts who are to inform the major Italian cities of the king's visit. He plans to stop at Brescia, Ferrara, Florence and finally meet with the Pope in Rome.

Lucius Julius
Mariner
posted 11-14-14 00:47 AM EDT (US)     49 / 101       
The Regent sends a message to Gustav, saying that he now understands why the Swedish are fighting and hopes that they win the war, also if they do win the war then The Regent will open his ports to their merchant ships. However, if Sweden does require help sooner or later then he'll secretly ship in weapons and other supplies to assist them, The Regent hopes that this act would increase relations between them, and perhaps even an alliance.

Roma Invicta!
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 11-14-14 01:15 AM EDT (US)     50 / 101       
Prince Neagoe is pleased to know that his people are happy and that his dominion is prosperous, but he fears that his relatively small military may be unable to defend his Principality if it were to be invaded-in-force. He therefore decides to enact a Principality-wide "militia edict" where every able-bodied male subject in their 18th year or older is required to undergo military training for one week each month. The training in question includes activities meant to increase physical fitness and endurance (obstacle courses, marathons, etc.) and lessons in the use of weapons (specifically sword, pike, halberd, and crossbow). Weaponry and basic equipment will be paid for and provided by the Principality which will receive the funds from a new 'militia tax' that will be a percentage based on the total value of each household and can be payed for in either coin or goods of equal value (example: if a farmer lacks money he can instead pay for it in either a portion of his harvests or some livestock).

Prince Neagoe puts specific emphasis on the fact that money and goods do not go to his treasure, but to equipping their fathers, brothers, sons and uncles who will rise to defend them and the Principality if it were ever to be attacked. He hopes that that simple truth, if nothing else, will silence any unrest provoked by the edict or the new tax.

Austria: [secret] Prince Neagoe sends a secret letter to Archduke Ferdinand II where Neagoe frankly states that although they believe in different sects, they are both at heart Christians who share a common enemy in the form of the Ottomans. He also admits that even though he provides military supplies to the Ottomans, he does it grudgingly as opposing the Ottomans would only invite war and suffering on his subjects as the Principality of Wallachia alone is no match for the gathered might of the Ottoman Empire. However, if the Ottomans were to be attacked by a certain state or an alliance of certain states the parties in question could find the Wallachians to be accommodating, perhaps even inviting, to them and supportive of their cause.[secret]

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames