We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.284 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Now Reading?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Now Reading?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 10 ··· 12  Next Page »
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 04-12-12 11:07 PM EDT (US)         
So what are you currently in the midst of?

i am currently in the midst of Air Force by Ian Mcphedran. Very awesome book that details the new era in Australian Air power. Very detailed and reasearched with a righting style that keeps you interested. Very Recommended for the Aussies out there(Pitt..)

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
AuthorReplies:
Kilos of Thermon
Mariner
posted 05-23-12 11:02 PM EDT (US)     26 / 284       
I am now reading The Communist Manifesto.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaþáttr, #77.
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 05-24-12 00:25 AM EDT (US)     27 / 284       
Just got Carthage: A History by Serge Lancel, and I also have coming in the mail Terry Jones's The Barbarians, and The Phoenicians by Sabatino Moscati

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Zardozhotep
Mariner
(id: Kahotep)
posted 05-26-12 10:24 PM EDT (US)     28 / 284       
Has anyone here read George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series? It seems to be all the rage over at OD.

I've sampled his A Game of Thrones to see what all the fuss was about, and frankly I could not get into it after the first few chapters. One of the chapters I did read was so choked with worldbuilding details (especially Westeroan history) that I ended up wondering what the hell was going on. As a budding fantasy writer, I know showing off your world is fun, but overkill can actually obfuscate your story.

Additionally, Martin's gritty and morally ambiguous style is horribly overrated. If you want me to connect to any of your characters, give them the moral high ground so that I know who to root for. If you must have anti-heroes like Conan, they should either get their comeuppance in the end, redeem themselves, or confront even greater evils.

Morally ambiguous grittiness isn't even that much more realistic than the traditional good vs evil; while no one is perfect, some people really do want to do what they think is right.

In the end, Song isn't my cup of tea.

Life finds a way.

[This message has been edited by Kahotep (edited 05-26-2012 @ 10:27 PM).]

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 05-27-12 03:03 AM EDT (US)     29 / 284       
I personally enjoy the Song of Ice and Fire. It has a level of realism often missing from the so-called "high fantasy" books. Furthermore, as a fantasy writer myself, there is some need to tell your readers about the history of your world at some point, to explain why things are the way they are, etc.
As to the level of moral ambiguity, there are some characters in his book that are either mostly good or mostly evil; for instance Eddard Stark, Barristan Selmy, and Jorah Mormont in the former, and Cersei Lannister and Tywin Lannister in the latter.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 05-27-12 03:47 AM EDT (US)     30 / 284       
When you're reading a fantasy series, you can't really expect to get into it when you're not even interested in the backstory of the fantasy world. For me, the setting of any novel is one of the most important things. The characters I'm not usually so fussed about so long as they're not too good. I think often enough I only read stories for the world in which they're set; I really want to be able to put myself in it, to look around in my mind's eye and see an epic universe.

Incidentally I think that's probably what got me interested in Ancient Rome and later Britain in the first place: the marble splendour, scarlet tunics, golden eagles, and then the grassy plains, dark forests, fearless warriors... everything else, history, mythology, language, came after although the appeal of mythology is arguably the same: "For me, myth is primarily visual, not linguistic. It comes from visions and cuts across linguistic provinces. Language is secondary. It has to do with the communication of myth." (Campbell, 1986)

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

*tegos, -esos, noun, neuter. house.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 05-27-2012 @ 03:50 AM).]

Henry Kissinger
Mariner
posted 05-29-12 04:52 AM EDT (US)     31 / 284       
Picked up Welcome to the Monkey House by Vonnegut. It's a compilation of short stories, and a lot of them are surprisingly heartwarming, especially knowing him.

Henry Kissinger
56th United States Secretary of State — 8th United States National Security Advisor — Official Honorary Harlem Globetrotter since 1976
Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 05-29-12 05:01 AM EDT (US)     32 / 284       
I'm currently reading the Ancient Greek school book for my exams tomorrow. It's not as boring as I had thought at the beginning of the school year... You know, Thucydides is not that boring... *heaves a sigh*

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
bdf101
Mariner
posted 05-29-12 05:22 AM EDT (US)     33 / 284       
the internet is a playground by david thorne. The ultimate troll.
Earl Scruffles
Mariner
(id: generalscruff)
posted 05-29-12 07:01 AM EDT (US)     34 / 284       
sounds like I might like it. I can use it to make the mods irate even more (I do it inadvertently these days, you know)

But I won't go to England due to the prescence of scruffy in shottingham. - Scenter102
This is Scruff we are talking about. I can't think of anything I don't see Scruff doing just for the hell of it. - Agrippa 271
The cake was made by Scruffy and it was... a rude shape. - Liam
monkey in a suit on a cycle - Scenter102 describing Scruffy
bdf101
Mariner
posted 05-29-12 02:17 PM EDT (US)     35 / 284       
Oh, dear Lord God in all his Glory, what have I unleashed!?
Earl Scruffles
Mariner
posted 05-29-12 03:45 PM EDT (US)     36 / 284       
It won't change things. The Mods will always be irate at me.

But I won't go to England due to the prescence of scruffy in shottingham. - Scenter102
This is Scruff we are talking about. I can't think of anything I don't see Scruff doing just for the hell of it. - Agrippa 271
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 06-22-12 06:36 PM EDT (US)     37 / 284       
I am now reading Tank Rider-Into the Reich with the Red Army- by Evgeni Bessonov. Really good book so far and its the memoirs of an Russian officer that fought throughout the war.Mostly from 1943-45

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 06-23-12 04:30 AM EDT (US)     38 / 284       
I just finished Wessex to AD 1000 by Barry Cunliffe. Now I'm trying to widen my field a bit by reading Roman Britain: A New History by Guy de la Bedoyere. Surprisingly not too bad - although this is partly because I know enough about it already to be able to tell when he's taking too much of a romano-centric stance...

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

Mors Lator
Mariner
posted 06-23-12 06:46 PM EDT (US)     39 / 284       
Re-reading Roma, by Steven Saylor. Essentially tells the story of Rome from 1000 BC to the Death of Caesar, from the point of view of fictional characters.

Also - Whooo, back.

Nulla ut Caseum Pellentesque
Nothing like a bit of cheese - Me

Mors Lator = Zoto888. In case I've ever mentioned that name.

My Gravatar is a response to Punic Hoplite's
Earl Scruffles
Mariner
posted 06-24-12 06:00 AM EDT (US)     40 / 284       
Started the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Reading Game of Thrones atm. hooked already

Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 06-24-12 08:39 AM EDT (US)     41 / 284       
Hello Mors! Long time no see, but the username rings a bell.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 06-25-12 06:14 AM EDT (US)     42 / 284       
I've just begun reading the Forgotten Legion series by Ben Kane. Quite a good one until now...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 07-12-12 09:06 PM EDT (US)     43 / 284       
Just started Warfare And The Third Reich by Christopher Chant. Excellent book so far illustrating the growth, development and deployment of the German armed forces in WW2

Scenter102
Mariner
posted 07-12-12 09:13 PM EDT (US)     44 / 284       
Good choice scruff, the book is filled with life lessons of the Bedroom.

I am reading Roman Warfare by Goldworthy, The Count of Monte Cristo, and One Day in the life of Ivan Desonovitch by Sosenneitzen (can't spell his name)
Pitt
Commodore
posted 07-13-12 01:13 AM EDT (US)     45 / 284       
I'm finally nearing the end of Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.

I might finish a few other partly-read books before I get started on War and Peace.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
srlj3721
Mariner
posted 07-15-12 08:07 AM EDT (US)     46 / 284       
amoung others 1984, fahrenheit 451,a brave new world(which i bowrred from the libary and found it to be printed in 1936 no lie) the art of war,the ugly american, and artimes fowl and the last gaurdian

impressive list don't you think?

Rome 2 is coming
celebrate with this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZIPeGN7CPQ
Earl Scruffles
Mariner
posted 07-15-12 01:10 PM EDT (US)     47 / 284       
Just bought A Clash of Kings. Also, I got The Pastures of Heaven by John Steinbeck and Dracula by Bram Stoker for my mum.

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 07-15-12 03:22 PM EDT (US)     48 / 284       
amoung others 1984, fahrenheit 451,a brave new world(which i bowrred from the libary and found it to be printed in 1936 no lie) the art of war,the ugly american, and artimes fowl and the last gaurdian
You have rather eclectic taste there; good, but varied.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Khalidbinwalid
Mariner
posted 07-15-12 04:15 PM EDT (US)     49 / 284       
Just finished the Desert Spear by Peter V. Brett, its an awsome book, and i am currently watching instead of reading the legend of the Seeker, the movie is so much better then the book.

"When I am in the battlefield, I love it more then when I am in my house"-Khalid Bin Walid
Questions, Questions, you always ask questions-Teacher
Why sir, questions are the basis of human intelligence-me
DarthDovah101
Mariner
posted 07-16-12 11:12 AM EDT (US)     50 / 284       
Khalid, i finished that a week ago! Cannot wait for The Daylight War to be published. Currently re-reading the Demonata series by Darren Shan
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 10 ··· 12  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames