We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.284 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Now Reading?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Now Reading?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10 11 ··· 12  Next Page »
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 04-12-12 11:07 PM EDT (US)         
So what are you currently in the midst of?

i am currently in the midst of Air Force by Ian Mcphedran. Very awesome book that details the new era in Australian Air power. Very detailed and reasearched with a righting style that keeps you interested. Very Recommended for the Aussies out there(Pitt..)

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
AuthorReplies:
Pitt
Commodore
posted 11-29-13 04:25 PM EDT (US)     201 / 284       
Is that the new Moist van Lipwig one? Damn, thought it would get better once they brought him back as he was my favourite character apart from Death.
Yes, that's the one. Death is, very briefly, in it, unlike the preceding book.

The dialogue is not very good. And there seems to be an attempt to cram in as many references to other books and characters as possible, even when it doesn't add anything. It's not funny and not particularly well written. Snuff, the previous book, was quite dark and had less humour than earlier books, but at least it was well written.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 12-20-13 11:37 PM EDT (US)     202 / 284       
Delving into Marcus Aurelius's Meditations. Read a brilliant introduction in the recent Penguin classic version. Only read a few chapters so far but it's unique prose, style and subject matter and is a refreshing change. I think this book is a necessary read for many in today's volatile world where we may be stuck not doing what we would like but carry on nonetheless.

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 12-27-13 02:14 AM EDT (US)     203 / 284       
Just finished reading 'The Rise of Parthia in the East: From the Seleucid Empire to the arrival of Rome' by Cam Rea on Kindle. Not a bad read by any means as he does a good job in detailing the social and political environment of the Seleucids and the Parthians, but it's quite obvious that Cam Rea is a first time writer as he refers to the thoughts, opinions and quotes of historians and other writers who have covered the material previously instead of using his own interpretation of the subject material. There are also several noticeable misspellings and poor editing in some parts, though these may have been caused by the process of converting his work to ebook format.

The book I'm looking forward to reading the most next year is 'The Land of the Elephant Kings: Space, Territory, and Ideology in the Seleucid Empire' by Paul J. Kosmin. It's nice to see that more books about the Seleucids are starting to see the light of day

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 12-27-13 04:57 AM EDT (US)     204 / 284       
I just finished We Were Soldiers Once...And Young, a book detailing the involvement of the U.S. 1st Cavalry in the Ia Drang valley during the Vietnam War. It was quite a good read, and certainly different than many other 'war novels'.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 12-30-13 05:28 AM EDT (US)     205 / 284       
Now reading World War II Plans that Never Happened by Michael Kerrigan. A generalist book- more suited to an introduction of WW2 plans that didnt happen (Such as Sealion, Isabella, Felix,) it is nevertheless a good read, and i am discovering quite a few plans i had never heard of before..

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 01-01-14 02:43 PM EDT (US)     206 / 284       
Now on to The Pacific War: The strategy, Politics and Players that Won the War by William B Hopkins. Great read so far- and the first book by a Non- Australian author i have read that seeks to also emphasis other nations' efforts and sacrifice in the Pacific war

Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 01-19-14 11:32 PM EDT (US)     207 / 284       
I'm currently in the middle of "Gjenferd" by Jo Nesbø. An excellent crime story full of suspence and action.It is highly recommended...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 01-20-14 00:19 AM EDT (US)     208 / 284       
On to 1914 by Paul Ham. Great book so far- it is quite interesting to read more into depth on the lead to World War One, and the action packed opening.

Also- got some more books to add to my ever increasing pile!

Nice huh?

Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 01-20-14 10:44 AM EDT (US)     209 / 284       
Quite an impressive pile of books AE... It should take you quite some time to read them

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 01-20-14 04:32 PM EDT (US)     210 / 284       
Indeed. Based on current rates of finishing books- my current book pile will last me almost 30 years..

And that is only a little hyperbole

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-21-14 00:07 AM EDT (US)     211 / 284       
I think you may need to stop buying books...

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 01-21-14 07:02 AM EDT (US)     212 / 284       
Nonesense!! Books keep the mind fresh, give new insight and make you look like a scholarly badass when you ligitimately have a library to your name

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 01-21-14 10:43 AM EDT (US)     213 / 284       
Especially when one can spell legitimately correctly!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 01-21-14 07:04 PM EDT (US)     214 / 284       
Well then..... That slipped through, but then again people have been telling me I spell book incorrectly...

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-22-14 01:15 AM EDT (US)     215 / 284       
They say that and more to me as well.

In Norway, book is bok. In English, bok is a sort of gazelle-like animal. In German, Bock is a type of beer (bier). In the Netherlands, book is boek.

My spell-checker got so fed up with trying to decipher which language I was using that it got frustrated and shot itself dead (død, dood). Now my brain is getting fried trying to do the same thing that killed my spell-checker.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Pitt
Commodore
posted 01-22-14 06:23 AM EDT (US)     216 / 284       
This. 400 pages. Not much of a plot and there's no suspense because I already know how it ends.

I ploughed through four P.G. Wodehouse books over late December and early January. The usual fare of impersonations, comical misunderstandings, sticky moments, and everything turning out all right in the end.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins

[This message has been edited by Pitt (edited 01-22-2014 @ 06:26 AM).]

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 01-27-14 05:55 AM EDT (US)     217 / 284       
Spent the day cataloguing my books on an excel Spreadsheet.

I have finished only about half my Nonfiction books- with another half left to go, and havent even made it to my fiction books and I AM ALREADY UP TO 117!

Needless, to say, my book expenditure should go down!

Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 01-27-14 12:23 PM EDT (US)     218 / 284       
Now that I'm home, I now have access to ALL of my books Including my Christmas present to myself, which was three new books:
Carthage of the Phoenicians in the light of modern excavation that was written in 1905, by Mabel Moore

Tyre:Its rise, glory, and desolation, with notices of the Phoenicians generally by Thomas Summers, written in 1856

and finally the jewel of the gift
Punic-Phoenician Grammar and Syntax by Charles Krahmalkov. This book cost me $244 and some change, but I've found it worth every penny for the depth, and many times, double references to solidify his rules of the languages.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 01-27-14 04:16 PM EDT (US)     219 / 284       
Punic-Phoenician Grammar and Syntax by Charles Krahmalkov. This book cost me $244 and some change, but I've found it worth every penny for the depth, and many times, double references to solidify his rules of the languages.
Now this sounds interesting. I never knew that enough Carthaginian inscriptions survived as to make a study like this possible. How much CarthaginiN has survived? Or is it also based off other Phoenician dialects?

Fact Cow
Banned
posted 01-27-14 04:31 PM EDT (US)     220 / 284       
Fact: you paid at least $95 over the odds for your 'jewel of the gift', unless the book is notably more expensive than in Europe. Even the hardcover edition costs the equivalent of $150 here.

On top of that, to spend so much on a book that is only intended for libraries to purchase (hence the extortionate pricetag), I doubt you know the value of money; and really, in the circumstances, the least you could do would be to get the name of this gift-jewel book correct. It is A Phoenician-Punic Grammar, unless Charles Krahmalkov wrote a second near-identical book whose reversed title justified a $100 mark-up.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 01-27-14 06:25 PM EDT (US)     221 / 284       
Fact: you paid at least $95 over the odds for your 'jewel of the gift'
Well it all depends on where you can get it from and if they post to you. I have found some great books on Amazon that i would love- but am killed off because they dont post 'outback'. I mostly stick to my small used book stores locally, and an amazing one at Canberra that posts to me.

I found a good book at a local store for $25 new/ slightly used when online it is brand new for $60. In the end, that could a few extra books coming my way...

Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 01-27-14 07:48 PM EDT (US)     222 / 284       
I was in the Mediterranean, had months of deployment money (and Christmas money that started coming in) saved up, and decided to splurg a little bit. I couldn't have it shipped to my boat, and had to have it shipped to my parents. That is the correct title, I just didn't have it on me when I posted that, as it was on my bed stand. I still think it's worth it as I am a Carthaginian/Phoenician fanatic.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-28-14 01:37 AM EDT (US)     223 / 284       
Value is what some is willing to pay for it, thus is relative.

Fact Cow
Banned
posted 01-28-14 11:03 AM EDT (US)     224 / 284       
Question: do you really think that stands up as an economic theory?
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-28-14 12:38 PM EDT (US)     225 / 284       
Between a single buyer and seller: yes.

Between eggheads discussing generalizations and predictions: no.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10 11 ··· 12  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames