We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.284 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Now Reading?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Now Reading?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 9 10 11 12  Next Page »
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 04-12-12 11:07 PM EDT (US)         
So what are you currently in the midst of?

i am currently in the midst of Air Force by Ian Mcphedran. Very awesome book that details the new era in Australian Air power. Very detailed and reasearched with a righting style that keeps you interested. Very Recommended for the Aussies out there(Pitt..)

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
AuthorReplies:
Vasta
Mariner
posted 08-29-14 04:11 PM EDT (US)     251 / 284       
Eagle, check out "Julius Caesar as Artful Reporter" edited by Kathryn Welch and Anton Powell (1998) once you've finished the BG. It's a pretty good collection of essays about Caesar as writer.

When you get to the BC, I'd also suggest the Batstone and Damon book "Caesar's Civil War." Serves as a nice introduction to the material and the study of history/quasi-history-commentaries as literature and political writing.

In the Caesar course I'm developing, I'm assigning that Batstone and Damon book and using selections from Artful Reporter. Very worth your time to read.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 08-29-14 08:04 PM EDT (US)     252 / 284       
Thanks for the heads up- i will be sure to keep a look out for it! Anywhere in particular to get it from?

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 08-29-14 11:30 PM EDT (US)     253 / 284       
Currently rereading Pyrrhus of Epirus by Jeff Champion. An excellent read, Champion goes into detail behind Pyrrhus' motivations for all of his campaigns from his struggle against the first generation of Successors to his final campaign in the Peloponnesus. He also explores Macedonian warfare quite a bit and how Pyrrhus employed it against the Romans and advanced it with his own innovations (the articulating phalanx, using war elephants as a flanking force instead of only as a defensive wing guard or cavalry deterrent).

He also has another book coming out later this year called, "Antigonus The One-Eyed: Greatest of the Succesors" which I'm very much looking forward to.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Vasta
Mariner
posted 08-31-14 00:37 AM EDT (US)     254 / 284       
Your local university library, of course. The best advice I got in grad school was not to buy any books until I was a professor with an office. That way I don't have to keep moving all of them around.

Also, academic books are obscenely priced and no one should ever actually but them. Except my book. When it comes out, I expect you all to buy it.
Pitt
Commodore
posted 09-01-14 04:42 AM EDT (US)     255 / 284       
I might as well. After all, I've already got a nice large pile of good books to read when I have a moment. (Which on present indications seems to be somewhere around the third Sunday in May 2043). One more won't make any difference, unless the ones on the bottom start composting.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins

[This message has been edited by Pitt (edited 09-01-2014 @ 04:43 AM).]

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 09-01-14 05:53 AM EDT (US)     256 / 284       
Your local university library, of course. The best advice I got in grad school was not to buy any books until I was a professor with an office. That way I don't have to keep moving all of them around.

Also, academic books are obscenely priced and no one should ever actually but them. Except my book. When it comes out, I expect you all to buy it.
Good advice! Btw, what will your book be on?
I might as well. After all, I've already got a nice large pile of good books to read when I have a moment. (Which on present indications seems to be somewhere around the third Sunday in May 2043). One more won't make any difference, unless the ones on the bottom start composting.
WITH.... YOU.... THERE... I will put up a picture of my reading pile eventually. But my 'library' document reveals that i have about 150 History books to read. This doesnt count my fiction pile..

Vasta
Mariner
posted 09-01-14 02:19 PM EDT (US)     257 / 284       
Articles before books, so it'll be awhile. I'm going to take the dissertation and turn it into a few articles, then make a larger book project from it.

In very brief terms, the dissertation argued that Sallust believes the exemplary system has failed, and that the moral and political chaos following the fall of Carthage has severed the connection between past and present. Contemporary Romans are not able to imitate (or even figure out what they should imitate) from the old exempla, and new ones cannot be generated because the old black and white system of good and bad does not work anymore.

I do also have my first published article, on the Bryn Mawr Classical Review. It's a brief review of the new Sallust Loeb, and can be found on bmcr.brynmawr.edu
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 09-17-14 06:54 PM EDT (US)     258 / 284       
Now reading The Battle for Australia by Bob Wurth. A very interesting book so far, that provides a unique perspective of the threat Australia was under during 1942, and an evaluation of John Curtin as a war leader.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 09-30-14 08:07 PM EDT (US)     259 / 284       
Does anyone else really enjoy Adrian Goldsworthy as a writer? I heavily enjoy his books and have read his book on the punic wars a 3-4 times and am now using his book on Caesar as a part of my research for my course on him. Excellent writer.

Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 10-01-14 08:08 PM EDT (US)     260 / 284       
He's a great author! I love his book on the Punic Wars (I bought it used and even had the First Punic War important bits highlighted!) as well as the major Roman generals. Really easy to read!

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 10-03-14 03:45 AM EDT (US)     261 / 284       
Now reading One Shot Kills: A History of Australian Army Sniping by Glenn Wahlert and Russell Linwood. It looks to be a really good book as it details the highs and lows of this extremely useful support troop in the Australian Army.

Vasta
Mariner
posted 10-04-14 02:29 PM EDT (US)     262 / 284       
Goldsworthy is a fine popular author, but his scholarship is pretty meh. His original monograph about the Roman army didn't exactly light the world on fire, and he's essentially transitioned into a Barnes and Noble author. Good for getting a decent survey. Or some beach reading, but you wouldn't want to use him for any actual research.

His Caesar book is essentially just retelling the Caesarian works with some Cicero thrown in for good measure, and there's no real scholarship going on in it. A major problem is that Goldsworthy acts like he's early 20th century English gentleman historian who will "find the unbiased facts" and ends up producing a hagiography of the people he likes. The field has gone long past that.
Ecthelion
Mariner
(id: p90pro)
posted 10-09-14 12:56 PM EDT (US)     263 / 284       
Picked up Poilu not too long ago. Great insight on WW1 from a soldier that somehow survived the whole thing.

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 10-15-14 04:38 PM EDT (US)     264 / 284       
Now reading Colonel Gaddafi's Hat by Alex Crawford. A exciting and somewhat horrifying account of the author's time covering the Libyan Revolution. About half way through now, but it is enrapturing.

Belth
Mariner
posted 11-26-14 02:20 PM EDT (US)     265 / 284       
Just finished Eaters of the Dead by Crichton. Great read! Unfortunately, it only lasted me about 24 hours.
ripped from Wikipedia - "The Manuscript of Ibn Fadlan Relating His Experiences with the Northmen in A.D. 922 is a 1976 novel by Michael Crichton. The story is about a 10th-century Muslim who travels with a group of Vikings to their settlement."

Before I start a new thread i'll try my luck here;
I wish to read more about the Norse and Vikings. I prefer narratives and stories to history books. So I'm looking for plausible stories not fantasy. Sadly, the Vikings didn't think much of writing things down. Most stuff written about them from their times was by the people they were raiding, therefore biased and such.
If you know of anything, pray share.

Also interested in a T.L. Lawrence Biography! (so many to choose from though! D: )
Speak up if you have read any and it was a good read (not too dry)!
I have not read too many bios of historical figures so notes about certain authors would be welcome too!

Last note: I will probably be reading Goldsworthy's Augustus soon. I have enjoyed a couple of his other works already so it's only a matter of time until I pick it up.
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 11-26-14 02:35 PM EDT (US)     266 / 284       
Just finished Eaters of the Dead by Crichton.
How's the book? I've only seen the movie made from the book (The 13th Warrior).

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Belth
Mariner
posted 11-26-14 08:47 PM EDT (US)     267 / 284       
It read very well, quite short though.
Seems fairly un-biased for a source that old. (note: Only the first 3 chapters are from the actual manuscript, the rest of the book is fiction)

[This message has been edited by Belth (edited 12-04-2014 @ 09:27 AM).]

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 12-04-14 01:57 PM EDT (US)     268 / 284       
Just finished Battles with Panzers by Patrick Delaforce. Great book that details the war that the 1st RTR and 2nd RTR went through- from the western desert to northern Europe and Burma. Great book, that really goes into detail over the issues that plagued allied tank units. I never realized the massive casualties that such a formation could take from combat and mechanical failures.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 12-14-14 01:20 AM EDT (US)     269 / 284       
Been finishing a few books lately which is great. Just finished Black Watch by Tom Renouf. Good book, detailing the path of the 51st Highland Division through World War Two and the author's fighting with them through Europe. Decent book accounting it from a very human perspective. I never realized the turnover in casualties and personnel in the infantry, and how this affected the division and lives of survivors.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 12-25-14 07:30 PM EDT (US)     270 / 284       
Just finished Arnhem by John Nichol and Tony Rennell. Was a great book- with an interesting viewpoint in that it aimed to relate the story from a civilian viewpoint as well- of the people living through the events which i think is a view that is needed more.

Now on to David Downing's Sealing Their Fate, which is an accounting of the 22 days he sees as deciding the course and end of WW2- 17th November to 8th December 1941.

Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 01-19-15 10:45 AM EDT (US)     271 / 284       
I recenlty got my hands on some Terry Prachett novels: "Guards, Guards", "Pyramids" and "Thief of Time". I have only managed to finish the first one, but so far his writing style is intriguing...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 01-23-15 04:09 PM EDT (US)     272 / 284       
Currently reading Marshall: Organizer for Victory by Leonard Mosley, which is a biography of General George Marshall and his Wartime service as Chief of Staff of the Army. Very interesting read, although it does seem to slip into hagiography at some points.

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 01-24-15 08:43 AM EDT (US)     273 / 284       
About a third of the way through The Three Generals: Book Two of the Scipio Africanus Trilogy by Martin Tessmer and am enjoying it immensely. As you expect from the title, it gives a fictional but entertaining account of the Second Punic War primarily from the perspective of Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus though there are a few bits spread out from the pov of other characters such as his mother Pomponia, Hannibal, and Cato the Elder. Tessmer goes into great detail when it comes to environments, characters and events but not so much that it feels over the top as in the works of certain other notable authors.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 02-04-15 01:11 AM EDT (US)     274 / 284       
Just finished Alex Kershaw's The Liberator and now moved on to Tom Holland's Persian Fire. Although i have studied this topic a bit in school and read Herodotus, it is still interesting to read about it from a much more objective view point then Herodotus provides.

Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 02-04-15 01:33 PM EDT (US)     275 / 284       
Just got the first of thirteen books I ordered, almost all relating the the Eastern Front or Soviet military in general. This first book is called Panzer Destroyer: Memoirs of a Red Army Tank Commander by Vasiliy Krystov. As a fan of World of Tanks, and of studying the Eastern Front in general, I can't wait to read this! Alas, I'm also eager to finish reading Ivan's War by Carthine Merridale which I got for Christmas. I also want to read the LotR and the Silmarillion, but I haven't found enough time to read the pages upon pages of books. I might even fill my book case up! And I just got a new one!!

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
« Previous Page  1 ··· 9 10 11 12  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames