We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.152 replies, Sticky
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » ETW Computer specs, upgrading +more reference guide.
Bottom
Topic Subject:ETW Computer specs, upgrading +more reference guide.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Waffentraeger
Mariner
(id: Daelon)
posted 01-04-09 07:18 PM EDT (US)         
Hello ETWH,

With the delay of ETW announced last month, it gave everyone more time to drool over screenshots, upgrade your pc's, and to gossip over the latest news. This thread is made for a reference of the technical aspects of the PC. For questions relating to if your pc can run ETW, please visit this thread: http://etw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=14,205,,10

There have been a few threads, made by both Hussarknight and myself.

Located here:

http://etw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,170,,10

And here:

http://etw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,167,,10

Both threads deal with minimum specs, how to properly upgrade etc.

I thought it would be a great idea to make a universal reference thread, so that less tech-savy people can refer to for any questions about hardware/software related to ETW.

ETW's graphics have been ante'd up compared to MTW2. The minimum specs weren't greatly increased, however, the minimum specs that were announced will more than likely cause you choppy gameplay.

Here are the announced minimum specs:

2.4Ghz single core processor
256MB Gfx card (DX9 compaitble)
1GB RAM (For XP, 2GB if using Vista)

So, comparing to MTW2:
Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP.
Celeron 1.8GHz Pentium 4® (1500MHz) or equivalent AMD® processor.
512MB RAM.
DirectX® 9.0c.
128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 1 support and the latest drivers.
Must be 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible.

You can see that the CPU and graphic cards minimum specs have been increased, not a whole lot, but a good measure.
In graphic heavy games, RAM and graphic cards are more important most of the time than CPU speeds.

In some cases, if you are running a very fast graphics card, your CPU and RAM speeds must be in the same ballpark to prevent "bottle necking" (I'll give definitions at the end).

In ETW, the battles will be huge. Lot's of explosions, new floral system, dynamic lighting and more. It is important that your system has both enough RAM and VRAM to be able to "drive" the data throughout your system effectively to prevent graphical lag.

The new graphic engine appears to have a new particle system with explosions. Unlike MTW2 when a cannon shell explodes, you don't see much. Just like a small little smoke cloud appear than disappear.

Now in ETW, when shells land, they LAND. CA has gone full force with their explosives and now it will put you into what a real cannon will do to its opponents.

Such graphic effects can put a hurt on a poorly outdated graphics card, ram, and CPU. In ETW, more than ever is it more important to have a good up-to-date graphics card to handle the demanding environment.

However, for those of you who do not have a fast graphics card, do not falter for there are ways to overcome this.
I started playing RTW around when it came out, I was playing on a Intel P4 1.6ghz, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 PRO and I had maybe 10 FPS. What's even worse, is that I had a friend get a little over 5 FPS with a GeForce 3 (if i remember correctly). He didn't play for long, because it just wasn't any fun skipping around the map..

There are many tricks in the book that I have figured out over the years to increase graphical performance. Wartrain from RTWH and an old member named "Firefox" had defined the technical requirements of RTW down to the megabyte.

I plan to do that here with ETW. I know what its like to play with a terrible system, and I feel very sorry for those who's system isn't the greatest.

First thing is first when getting ready for ETW:

1)Reformatting: Reformat your PC. Get all the hidden junk off of your hard-drive. Eating up the CPU usage, lowering your physical memory usage, and taking away valuable memory packets. Reformatting is THE number one way to get rid of ALL junk on your pc. With a game like ETW, it will need every bit of CPU, VRAM and physical ram as possible.

2)Adjust graphic drivers: Whether you are using the ATI catalyst drivers, or the NVidia performance control panel, toggle everything to "performance". Usually the CCP (Catalyst control panel) Will have the graphics tab labeled for "quality" or "performance". (And typically same with NVidia). I think it's safe to say, that you would rather play with lower than average graphics and no lag, or slightly better than average graphics and a lot of lag... Right?? (Yes, don't answer that.. )

3) CPU Affinity levels: This is intended for users with multi-core systems. I can assure you that CA has programmed multi-core systems some slack here, better utilizing the different cores. If you do have a dual-core system, press ctrl + alt + delete to open the control panel. Go to the "Processes" tab while ETW is running, right click and go to "Set Affinity..." once there you should see CPU 0 and CPU 1, those are your two cores. Make sure those are checked, so that the CPU will split the work in the cores.

4) Set CPU priorities: To drive data throughout your system faster, go: ctrl + alt + delete (opens cp), go to "processes tab" find etw.exe right click and go to "set priority" to above average. This will increase your CPU usage from about 10% to around 25-30%. This will slow down other programs, however it will allow ETW to run smoother. If you do this step, I suggest you turn off all other not-necessary programs.

5) Update drivers: There are multiple drivers that your system needs. Mainly the graphics card is the only real primary device that needs drivers. Go to your manufacturers site (NVidia/ATI) and find the necessary drivers for your card. Both NVidia and ATI have a straight forward layout for finding drivers. Once they are downloaded, install and enjoy. Some drivers increase performance in one area, but decreases performance in another area.

Those are just a few of many small tweaks/changes that you can do to your system to make things run faster, they are universal tips so they can work with other programs if needed.

Lets take a look at hardware.
Before I start, you MUST understand that building computers is easy. It isn't like building a rocket ship for inter-steller space travel, or lecturing calculus in latin.
Buying pre-builtpc's is a waste of money whether you like it or not. You can do the math, but my system would have costed me almost $2,000 dollars if purchased from cyberpower.com, I built it for for about $1,300 off of newegg.com . I encourage you to build it yourself, its just screwing a few things in, plugging a few cables in. Plop the windows CD in, run the installation and you are set to go.

Needed for a new pc:

[MotherBoard: - This is the primary piece of a computer. EVERYTHING sits on this (besides HD/PSU). The RAM, processor(CPU), graphics card, sound cards all go here. Everything eventually gets plugged into the motherboard.

Processor: - The processor, or Central Processing Unit (CPU) is the "brain" of the computer. It's what makes data run through the system and calculates the framework for your OS. Everything runs off the CPU. CPU speeds are in some cases important, especially in gaming. In ETW, the CPU plays a good rule, however, you will need more RAM and faster graphics than a fast CPU.

A quick side note about multicore systems:
Many of you have questions regarding dual core CPU's having lesser than minimum speeds that are required for ETW. If the minimum says 2.4 ghz on a single core, consider that roughly 2ghz on a dual core CPU. Now depending on the core of the CPU, many newer models of CPU's can out perform the fastest single core system and take it to school. If you follow my guild to setting affinities and CPU priorities, you won't have a problem with the 2.0ghz+ Dual core systems.
Dual/tri/quad cores split the work load into the individual cores. Lets take my quad-core as an example. The CPU has been overclocked to 3.0Ghz, so each core has 3.0ghz to it's disposal. Each core would run laps around any single core CPU out there. It's high memory cache and even faster speeds allow for it to smoothly operate any program with out a hassle. Multicore systems will have fun with ETW, I can assure you.

Memory: - The memory is sort of the "bank" for memory to store while the CPU calculates data already in it's cache's. Fast RAM is important because it is what stores RAM to go from the CPU to the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit/Graphics Card).

Graphics Card: - The #1 device for a pleasurable gaming experience. Nothing beats a fast graphics card. These beasts needed fast memory clocks, lots of VRAM (RAM specifically for the graphics card, always built in) and a CPU to top it all off. If your graphics card is to fast for your CPU you will experience whats called "bottlenecking". It is similar to lag, except it comes in short bursts that doesn't make your game choppy, it just slows it down.

Hard Drive: - Lucky for us, ETW won't be some huge 30 gig game like Age of Conan was when it came out. A huge fast hard drive won't be all the important. Transfer rate is the biggest thing you want, and it's "cache" (a small bank for transporting data).

Now the hard part... Windows XP Pro SP3 32bit/64bit, or Windows Vista SP1 32bit/64bit.

This is a controversial argument. Because you get ups and downs on both sides, and they weigh evenly.

Vista has been notorious so far for poor gaming performance. Since it eats up a ridiculous amount of RAM, it isn't ideal for gaming. However, it has been programmed for DX10 gaming. Which allows for an even more amazing gaming performance with graphics.

Windows XP PRO service pack 3 uses very little RAM, has been very cleaned up, and runs exceptionally well for almost every game out there. It doesn't need a lot of CPU usage, or vram. However, you cannot use DX10 and it is stuck on DirectX9.c (DX9.c).

If you go vista, enjoy the DX10 experience but have at least 3 gigs of ram to prevent the "choppyness".

Here are some recommended parts if you are building a system, these recommendations are my opinion based off of personal experiences. "Results may vary."

I have used Intel/NVidia/Corsair products for almost 6 years now, so excuse me, I am a bit biased towards them.

Intel: Core2 Duo series provides gamers with excellent speeds for a great price. They have low cache's, but they have multiple shared cache's providing the same amount as any other AMD.
Core2 Quad are incredibly fast CPU's. 4 cores provide your system with more CPU usage than Bill Gates has money. I can run almost 200+ programs of solitare without my system crashing, try doing that with an AMD.

NVidia:
8-Series: It's time to step away from the dark ages of the 7 series, and move on. The 8 series that came out in 2006, provides a huge boosted amount of performance. More VRAM, faster clocks, new "stream processors" and more allow you to just let the game loose and max it all out. Graphic cards of the 8 series from the 8800GT and up I highly recommend. You can catch good deals on them, and they will stay good in use for a few more years which is well worth it.
The 9-series are the monsters these days. The 9800GTX in SLI will walk all over any opponent. Don't bother arguing that against ATI, you'll probably get a chart off an ATI sponsored site. I purchased my 9800GT for $110 + shipping, and it is just thoroughly destroying any program i throw in its way. It is simply a beast for the money.

Corsair: Corsair and Mushkin RAM have been nothing but choice for me these passed few years. Out of all the systems I have built, I have only experience ONE problem with RAM from these companies. Excellent tech support, amazingly fast gaming RAM will add that edge on your systems peformance. When buying RAM, always shoot for LOWEST CAS latency, lower the latency, faster the ram.

ASUS/XFX: Are my ideal gaming motherboard manufacturers. I have been using their products for countless years now, and i kid you not, I have never had one problem. The new 6 and 7 series motherboards give you dual channels, LGA775/AM2+ sockets, new heat management systems, larger RAM capacities and faster SATA connections.
I suggest either the XFX 680iLT SLI, or the P45 series from ASUS. I have used both and have had nil problems. (A little "football" terminology for LoH).

I hope you enjoyed this huge read. It's for you guys/gals. The community has been nothing bust excellence for me, so this is a little way for me to give back. Thanks for everything.

If you have any further questions/comments/concerns/ideas, say it here!

[This message has been edited by Daelon (edited 02-08-2009 @ 01:28 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
PimpinKid
Mariner
posted 02-11-09 06:41 PM EDT (US)     51 / 152       
So could someone guide me, cuz i've read and re read and re read this post. I still dont understand what to buy. Sorry i'm an idiot with this stuff but i dont wana waste more money than i need to
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-11-09 06:49 PM EDT (US)     52 / 152       
Sure. Well how much are you looking to spend?
PimpinKid
Mariner
posted 02-11-09 07:45 PM EDT (US)     53 / 152       
anything that will give me a solid medium graphics on Empires. Cuz i hate lowest graphics, and i think the price range between medium to high is a lot.
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-11-09 10:01 PM EDT (US)     54 / 152       
Alright, well have you built computers before? Or are you looking to buy a pre-built?
PimpinKid
Mariner
posted 02-11-09 10:25 PM EDT (US)     55 / 152       
nope never build one
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-11-09 10:45 PM EDT (US)     56 / 152       
Well, as I said in the thread, you can save a whole lot of money when building your own, as opposed to buying a pre-built. If you feel that you can build your own, than I can certainly help you out. If you are wanting to get a pre-built, go with ibuypower computers.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-12-09 11:03 AM EDT (US)     57 / 152       
This article can also be useful if you want to build your own pc.

Hussarknight
Thrashmad
Mariner
posted 02-13-09 12:38 PM EDT (US)     58 / 152       
I am going to buy a new computer, or more exactly by parts and put it together with help of my brother. But I am wondering if it's worth it to wait a bit and pay some extra money to get an Intel I7.

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-13-09 12:45 PM EDT (US)     59 / 152       
Supposedly ETW "Runs great on i7!!"

Will it really? Doubt it will, depending on the system config. If you want to buy the i7, go ahead no harm in it.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-14-09 08:42 AM EDT (US)     60 / 152       
Just installed the new graphics card and my recommended amount of men per battle in RTW jumped from 2400 to 6400.

Hussarknight
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-14-09 06:57 PM EDT (US)     61 / 152       
Good! What kind was it again?
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-15-09 04:06 AM EDT (US)     62 / 152       
It's a MSI GeForce 7600GT. Had some slight driver problems at first but everything works fine now.

Hussarknight
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-15-09 12:47 PM EDT (US)     63 / 152       
Yikes, I can't imagine the card you had before. That will be tough luck running ETW, I can't imagine it doing any good sorry to say.
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 02-15-09 08:14 PM EDT (US)     64 / 152       
I had a quick question about buying a computer to play ETW and other similar games with no problems...Ive always heard alienware comp's are some of the best gaming machines and one caught my eye...the Area-51 7501...would this machine be more than enough to satisfy my gaming needs these days???that price (witch is 1000$) is pretty much my maximum limit...i could really use some help on this...im new by the way so i hope this isnt a dumb question to be askin...thnx everyone!
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-15-09 08:43 PM EDT (US)     65 / 152       
I really dislike Alienware for a number of reasons. The biggest reasons are the cost. Depending on what and where you buy from, you can out-price alienware anyday when building a good pc. If later you want to upgrade an Alienware, good luck getting passed their "Modular Cable System", in which they literally zip tie a huge stack of cables to your expansion bays and than you'll need an industrial strength cutter to get through it.

I wouldn't be the person to ask about Alienware, considering I am highly biased against them. Perhaps you should ask in the OD tech support forum, PCDania is a good guy and isn't biased against anything... or I hope he isn't..
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 02-15-09 08:55 PM EDT (US)     66 / 152       
awsome...thnx for the honesty..ill check out that forum and consider building a gaming pc...
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-16-09 05:12 PM EDT (US)     67 / 152       
You find it here btw. PCDania is a Heavengames legend, just so that you know!

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

PimpinKid
Mariner
posted 02-16-09 07:41 PM EDT (US)     68 / 152       
Intel® Quad Core Q8200 CPU
ASUS nForce 750i SLI Chipset MB
Intel Certified Liquid Cooling System
2GB DDR2-800 Memory
500GB 7200 RPM SATA-II HDD
20X DL DVD±R/±RW
2x GeForce 9600GT 1GB Video Card
7.1 Channel Surround Sound
iBUYPOWER Subwoofer Speakers
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Raidmax Enzo Gaming Case

Could you plz tell me if those would fare well on ETW. Also thnks you're the one that game me the link to ibuypower

or this one

intel core i7 Processor 920 CPU
asus p6t intel x58 chipset crossfire and sli supported mb
3 GB DDR3-1333 Memory
320 GB Sata - II Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT 512MB Video
20x DL DVD RW + CD RW Combo Drive
8- Channel Surround Sound
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-17-09 02:07 AM EDT (US)     69 / 152       
Get a 9800GT instead of the 9600GT. Other than that, the first choice is good. medium/high settings.
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 02-17-09 11:25 AM EDT (US)     70 / 152       
you were kinda right daelon...pcdania wasn't that biased, but he said the same about getting a much better one built than at alienware...i could get more that the same amount of money...go figure
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 02-17-09 11:26 AM EDT (US)     71 / 152       
Alienware's are overpriced.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-17-09 01:18 PM EDT (US)     72 / 152       
Alienware's are overpriced.
Nailed it. Sorry fella, but Alienwares are for people who wipe with 1 dollar bills. Best off to build your own or buy from ibuypower or something.
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 02-17-09 04:02 PM EDT (US)     73 / 152       
yea i saw that u were talking to someone about ibuypower...i think thats what im gunna do...although their reviews were mixed...do they include free shipping??
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-17-09 04:17 PM EDT (US)     74 / 152       
Im not sure about free shipping. I think they ship from China.
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 02-18-09 05:58 PM EDT (US)     75 / 152       
real quick...what do u think of the Asus P5KPL-CM Intel G31 Chipset w/6-channels...is it pretty good for gaming or is something else better??
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-18-09 06:37 PM EDT (US)     76 / 152       
ASUS make good motherboards, but get a 7 series motherboard.
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 02-18-09 08:18 PM EDT (US)     77 / 152       
well i was going to choose the 750i but some guy on ibuypower's forum told me that he heard there were some problems with it...
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-18-09 08:53 PM EDT (US)     78 / 152       
Take it with a grain of salt. The 7 series mobo's from ASUS, XFX and MSI are top notch.
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 02-19-09 02:55 PM EDT (US)     79 / 152       
well this is what i got so far...

600W power supply
inter core 2 duo e8400 3.0ghz
nvidia nforce 750i SLI
2GB memory
9800 GTX 512MB
320 GB

im thinking about selling my xbox360 for some extra cash...if i do that im going to buy more memory...better power supply...
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-19-09 05:33 PM EDT (US)     80 / 152       
That is a great pc so far! high settings easy.
PimpinKid
Mariner
posted 02-19-09 05:36 PM EDT (US)     81 / 152       
KroNick, how much is that PC going to cost you? I had made up my mind on one, though i'm waiting for the game to come out and see recommended settings.
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-19-09 05:41 PM EDT (US)     82 / 152       
see recommended settings.
That is a tough one to say even when its released. Recommended settings could mean a number of things. It's best to just base it off the bare minimum.
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 02-19-09 06:08 PM EDT (US)     83 / 152       
well with what i got now its $735 without the OS and without shipping...if i get rid of my xbox im going to upgrade the ram/power and get vista 64
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-19-09 06:11 PM EDT (US)     84 / 152       
Get another gig of ram if you are getting vista.
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 02-19-09 06:18 PM EDT (US)     85 / 152       
yea i kno...but i dont need another gig for vista 32 right?
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-19-09 06:26 PM EDT (US)     86 / 152       
No you will still need another gig to run ETW nicely. The game will be very choppy with 2 gigs of ram on vista.
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 02-19-09 06:29 PM EDT (US)     87 / 152       
well i got my money and im going to buy my computer tonight...i will upgrade to 4 GB so i dont have to worry about it...thanks daelon for all the help...really appreciate that...i would have loved to join up with ya for ETW but i dont have the time requirements...but i got the love for the game...

[This message has been edited by KroNicK (edited 02-20-2009 @ 06:01 PM).]

Ventory
Mariner
posted 02-21-09 03:25 PM EDT (US)     88 / 152       
Hey Daelon

Money is an issue right now,

would a PNY 9400 Gt from Nvidia do well?

I'm on Vista and I have onle 2 gigs of RAm and might upgrade that later.
Jumbalaya
Mariner
posted 02-22-09 04:34 PM EDT (US)     89 / 152       
a PNY 9400GT is alright if you are just trying to play the game. I was trying one out the other day and I had to have medium-low settings to keep a smooth framerate.

lol im jumby
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-22-09 04:39 PM EDT (US)     90 / 152       
Not a PNY. Go for a 9600GT if money is an issue.
Ventory
Mariner
posted 02-22-09 05:01 PM EDT (US)     91 / 152       
149.99 is too expensive, are you sure the 9400 Gt won't work

I currentley can run the game at Medium settings with a 8800 gt
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-22-09 06:38 PM EDT (US)     92 / 152       
9400GT will probably run worse than an 8800GT.
Ventory
Mariner
posted 02-22-09 08:32 PM EDT (US)     93 / 152       
????

Why?

If it's a higher series?
Duan Xuan
Mariner
posted 02-23-09 02:20 AM EDT (US)     94 / 152       
Because it's akin to comparing a 2008 Toyata Corolla to a 1998 Ferrari.
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-23-09 09:42 AM EDT (US)     95 / 152       
Nice. Good comparison.
Ventory
Mariner
posted 02-23-09 03:38 PM EDT (US)     96 / 152       
would a 9600 gt be better than a 8600 gt?

Plus they're both the same company not different life Ferrari or Toyota

A better one would be a 2004 Toyota Corolla or a 2009 Toyota Corrola

[This message has been edited by Ventory (edited 02-23-2009 @ 03:45 PM).]

Jumbalaya
Mariner
posted 02-23-09 05:22 PM EDT (US)     97 / 152       
8800gt is slightly faster than the 9600gt

lol im jumby
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-23-09 05:47 PM EDT (US)     98 / 152       
The 9600GT is better for overclocking than an 8800GT. Therefore the card would be faster. Overclocking GPU's isn't hard, especially since most manufactures have overclocking programs to do it safely with.
imlost
Mariner
posted 02-27-09 02:17 AM EDT (US)     99 / 152       
I haven't upgraded my rig for a while. How do you think this would do with etw?
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
1536MB RAM
Hard Drive: 160 GB
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Windows XP Professiona
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-27-09 09:52 AM EDT (US)     100 / 152       
Please read:

http://etw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=14,205,,10

You'll play on low.