We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Technical Help and Bug Reporting
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.152 replies, Sticky
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Technical Help and Bug Reporting » ETW Computer specs, upgrading +more reference guide.
Bottom
Topic Subject:ETW Computer specs, upgrading +more reference guide.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Waffentraeger
Mariner
(id: Daelon)
posted 01-04-09 07:18 PM EDT (US)         
Hello ETWH,

With the delay of ETW announced last month, it gave everyone more time to drool over screenshots, upgrade your pc's, and to gossip over the latest news. This thread is made for a reference of the technical aspects of the PC. For questions relating to if your pc can run ETW, please visit this thread: http://etw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=14,205,,10

There have been a few threads, made by both Hussarknight and myself.

Located here:

http://etw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,170,,10

And here:

http://etw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,167,,10

Both threads deal with minimum specs, how to properly upgrade etc.

I thought it would be a great idea to make a universal reference thread, so that less tech-savy people can refer to for any questions about hardware/software related to ETW.

ETW's graphics have been ante'd up compared to MTW2. The minimum specs weren't greatly increased, however, the minimum specs that were announced will more than likely cause you choppy gameplay.

Here are the announced minimum specs:

2.4Ghz single core processor
256MB Gfx card (DX9 compaitble)
1GB RAM (For XP, 2GB if using Vista)

So, comparing to MTW2:
Microsoft® Windows® 2000/XP.
Celeron 1.8GHz Pentium 4® (1500MHz) or equivalent AMD® processor.
512MB RAM.
DirectX® 9.0c.
128MB Hardware Accelerated video card with Shader 1 support and the latest drivers.
Must be 100% DirectX® 9.0c compatible.

You can see that the CPU and graphic cards minimum specs have been increased, not a whole lot, but a good measure.
In graphic heavy games, RAM and graphic cards are more important most of the time than CPU speeds.

In some cases, if you are running a very fast graphics card, your CPU and RAM speeds must be in the same ballpark to prevent "bottle necking" (I'll give definitions at the end).

In ETW, the battles will be huge. Lot's of explosions, new floral system, dynamic lighting and more. It is important that your system has both enough RAM and VRAM to be able to "drive" the data throughout your system effectively to prevent graphical lag.

The new graphic engine appears to have a new particle system with explosions. Unlike MTW2 when a cannon shell explodes, you don't see much. Just like a small little smoke cloud appear than disappear.

Now in ETW, when shells land, they LAND. CA has gone full force with their explosives and now it will put you into what a real cannon will do to its opponents.

Such graphic effects can put a hurt on a poorly outdated graphics card, ram, and CPU. In ETW, more than ever is it more important to have a good up-to-date graphics card to handle the demanding environment.

However, for those of you who do not have a fast graphics card, do not falter for there are ways to overcome this.
I started playing RTW around when it came out, I was playing on a Intel P4 1.6ghz, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 PRO and I had maybe 10 FPS. What's even worse, is that I had a friend get a little over 5 FPS with a GeForce 3 (if i remember correctly). He didn't play for long, because it just wasn't any fun skipping around the map..

There are many tricks in the book that I have figured out over the years to increase graphical performance. Wartrain from RTWH and an old member named "Firefox" had defined the technical requirements of RTW down to the megabyte.

I plan to do that here with ETW. I know what its like to play with a terrible system, and I feel very sorry for those who's system isn't the greatest.

First thing is first when getting ready for ETW:

1)Reformatting: Reformat your PC. Get all the hidden junk off of your hard-drive. Eating up the CPU usage, lowering your physical memory usage, and taking away valuable memory packets. Reformatting is THE number one way to get rid of ALL junk on your pc. With a game like ETW, it will need every bit of CPU, VRAM and physical ram as possible.

2)Adjust graphic drivers: Whether you are using the ATI catalyst drivers, or the NVidia performance control panel, toggle everything to "performance". Usually the CCP (Catalyst control panel) Will have the graphics tab labeled for "quality" or "performance". (And typically same with NVidia). I think it's safe to say, that you would rather play with lower than average graphics and no lag, or slightly better than average graphics and a lot of lag... Right?? (Yes, don't answer that.. )

3) CPU Affinity levels: This is intended for users with multi-core systems. I can assure you that CA has programmed multi-core systems some slack here, better utilizing the different cores. If you do have a dual-core system, press ctrl + alt + delete to open the control panel. Go to the "Processes" tab while ETW is running, right click and go to "Set Affinity..." once there you should see CPU 0 and CPU 1, those are your two cores. Make sure those are checked, so that the CPU will split the work in the cores.

4) Set CPU priorities: To drive data throughout your system faster, go: ctrl + alt + delete (opens cp), go to "processes tab" find etw.exe right click and go to "set priority" to above average. This will increase your CPU usage from about 10% to around 25-30%. This will slow down other programs, however it will allow ETW to run smoother. If you do this step, I suggest you turn off all other not-necessary programs.

5) Update drivers: There are multiple drivers that your system needs. Mainly the graphics card is the only real primary device that needs drivers. Go to your manufacturers site (NVidia/ATI) and find the necessary drivers for your card. Both NVidia and ATI have a straight forward layout for finding drivers. Once they are downloaded, install and enjoy. Some drivers increase performance in one area, but decreases performance in another area.

Those are just a few of many small tweaks/changes that you can do to your system to make things run faster, they are universal tips so they can work with other programs if needed.

Lets take a look at hardware.
Before I start, you MUST understand that building computers is easy. It isn't like building a rocket ship for inter-steller space travel, or lecturing calculus in latin.
Buying pre-builtpc's is a waste of money whether you like it or not. You can do the math, but my system would have costed me almost $2,000 dollars if purchased from cyberpower.com, I built it for for about $1,300 off of newegg.com . I encourage you to build it yourself, its just screwing a few things in, plugging a few cables in. Plop the windows CD in, run the installation and you are set to go.

Needed for a new pc:

[MotherBoard: - This is the primary piece of a computer. EVERYTHING sits on this (besides HD/PSU). The RAM, processor(CPU), graphics card, sound cards all go here. Everything eventually gets plugged into the motherboard.

Processor: - The processor, or Central Processing Unit (CPU) is the "brain" of the computer. It's what makes data run through the system and calculates the framework for your OS. Everything runs off the CPU. CPU speeds are in some cases important, especially in gaming. In ETW, the CPU plays a good rule, however, you will need more RAM and faster graphics than a fast CPU.

A quick side note about multicore systems:
Many of you have questions regarding dual core CPU's having lesser than minimum speeds that are required for ETW. If the minimum says 2.4 ghz on a single core, consider that roughly 2ghz on a dual core CPU. Now depending on the core of the CPU, many newer models of CPU's can out perform the fastest single core system and take it to school. If you follow my guild to setting affinities and CPU priorities, you won't have a problem with the 2.0ghz+ Dual core systems.
Dual/tri/quad cores split the work load into the individual cores. Lets take my quad-core as an example. The CPU has been overclocked to 3.0Ghz, so each core has 3.0ghz to it's disposal. Each core would run laps around any single core CPU out there. It's high memory cache and even faster speeds allow for it to smoothly operate any program with out a hassle. Multicore systems will have fun with ETW, I can assure you.

Memory: - The memory is sort of the "bank" for memory to store while the CPU calculates data already in it's cache's. Fast RAM is important because it is what stores RAM to go from the CPU to the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit/Graphics Card).

Graphics Card: - The #1 device for a pleasurable gaming experience. Nothing beats a fast graphics card. These beasts needed fast memory clocks, lots of VRAM (RAM specifically for the graphics card, always built in) and a CPU to top it all off. If your graphics card is to fast for your CPU you will experience whats called "bottlenecking". It is similar to lag, except it comes in short bursts that doesn't make your game choppy, it just slows it down.

Hard Drive: - Lucky for us, ETW won't be some huge 30 gig game like Age of Conan was when it came out. A huge fast hard drive won't be all the important. Transfer rate is the biggest thing you want, and it's "cache" (a small bank for transporting data).

Now the hard part... Windows XP Pro SP3 32bit/64bit, or Windows Vista SP1 32bit/64bit.

This is a controversial argument. Because you get ups and downs on both sides, and they weigh evenly.

Vista has been notorious so far for poor gaming performance. Since it eats up a ridiculous amount of RAM, it isn't ideal for gaming. However, it has been programmed for DX10 gaming. Which allows for an even more amazing gaming performance with graphics.

Windows XP PRO service pack 3 uses very little RAM, has been very cleaned up, and runs exceptionally well for almost every game out there. It doesn't need a lot of CPU usage, or vram. However, you cannot use DX10 and it is stuck on DirectX9.c (DX9.c).

If you go vista, enjoy the DX10 experience but have at least 3 gigs of ram to prevent the "choppyness".

Here are some recommended parts if you are building a system, these recommendations are my opinion based off of personal experiences. "Results may vary."

I have used Intel/NVidia/Corsair products for almost 6 years now, so excuse me, I am a bit biased towards them.

Intel: Core2 Duo series provides gamers with excellent speeds for a great price. They have low cache's, but they have multiple shared cache's providing the same amount as any other AMD.
Core2 Quad are incredibly fast CPU's. 4 cores provide your system with more CPU usage than Bill Gates has money. I can run almost 200+ programs of solitare without my system crashing, try doing that with an AMD.

NVidia:
8-Series: It's time to step away from the dark ages of the 7 series, and move on. The 8 series that came out in 2006, provides a huge boosted amount of performance. More VRAM, faster clocks, new "stream processors" and more allow you to just let the game loose and max it all out. Graphic cards of the 8 series from the 8800GT and up I highly recommend. You can catch good deals on them, and they will stay good in use for a few more years which is well worth it.
The 9-series are the monsters these days. The 9800GTX in SLI will walk all over any opponent. Don't bother arguing that against ATI, you'll probably get a chart off an ATI sponsored site. I purchased my 9800GT for $110 + shipping, and it is just thoroughly destroying any program i throw in its way. It is simply a beast for the money.

Corsair: Corsair and Mushkin RAM have been nothing but choice for me these passed few years. Out of all the systems I have built, I have only experience ONE problem with RAM from these companies. Excellent tech support, amazingly fast gaming RAM will add that edge on your systems peformance. When buying RAM, always shoot for LOWEST CAS latency, lower the latency, faster the ram.

ASUS/XFX: Are my ideal gaming motherboard manufacturers. I have been using their products for countless years now, and i kid you not, I have never had one problem. The new 6 and 7 series motherboards give you dual channels, LGA775/AM2+ sockets, new heat management systems, larger RAM capacities and faster SATA connections.
I suggest either the XFX 680iLT SLI, or the P45 series from ASUS. I have used both and have had nil problems. (A little "football" terminology for LoH).

I hope you enjoyed this huge read. It's for you guys/gals. The community has been nothing bust excellence for me, so this is a little way for me to give back. Thanks for everything.

If you have any further questions/comments/concerns/ideas, say it here!

[This message has been edited by Daelon (edited 02-08-2009 @ 01:28 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 01-05-09 05:20 AM EDT (US)     1 / 152       
Very nice guide Daelon. Thanks for the footie terminology.

I still think you work for Microsoft.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-05-09 09:00 AM EDT (US)     2 / 152       
I still think you work for Microsoft.
Bah, they couldn't pay me enough.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 01-05-09 09:33 AM EDT (US)     3 / 152       
Stickied. I'm keeping it as a separate thread to the min spec one because it's more of a reference guide.

Maybe add a bit about duo cores?
Some people might look at the processer speed and think they are short because they don't understand the concept of multiple cores.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-05-09 10:05 AM EDT (US)     4 / 152       
Good idea Gaius, thread has been updated explaining the concept.

[This message has been edited by Daelon (edited 01-05-2009 @ 10:42 AM).]

Chalupa Batman
Centurion
(id: ccsantos)
posted 01-05-09 11:45 PM EDT (US)     5 / 152       
I'm having trouble deciding what video card I want to buy :/

I'm partial to Nvidia and I want this to be a big step up from my current 7600GT.

As-Salaam-Alaikum
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-05-09 11:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 152       
Best bang for the buck:

eVGA/XFX 9800GT - around $120 depending on where you buy from. It will run laps around your current GPU.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 01-06-09 07:41 AM EDT (US)     7 / 152       
This can also be very helpful when you want to buy a new graphics card.

Hussarknight
Dark_Hoplit
Mariner
posted 01-07-09 08:34 PM EDT (US)     8 / 152       
hi, like y sed daelon im here, and this si a great guide, but i have a question, what do u think about intel core2 !7 compared to intel core2 quad, and others prosesadres makers like athlon and so?
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 01-08-09 03:01 AM EDT (US)     9 / 152       
Intel Core i7's are the latest Intel processors and they provide better performance than the Core 2 Duo/Quod CPUs. However the i7's (and the motherboards that can handle them) are much more expensive. Unless you've got a large budget I'd go for a Core 2 Duo.

AMD CPUs are good if you haven't got much money to spend. They're cheaper than Intel's, but their performance isn't as good.

Hussarknight
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-08-09 09:42 AM EDT (US)     10 / 152       
Intels are far more expensive than AMD. The intel Core2Duo Series out performs nearly everything Athlon 64. They are more expensive, but are worth the money.
AMD CPUs are good if you haven't got much money to spend. They're cheaper than Intel's, but their performance isn't as good.
Absolutely correct, AMD hasn't really picked up their game either.
Dark_Hoplit
Mariner
posted 01-08-09 08:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 152       
Oh! thx a lot! i think i will go for an intel core 2, thx again.
well i think i will get a dell with:
intel core 2 quad
4gb dual channel DDR2 SDRAM
320 GB HD
and an nvidia GF(dont really know if 8800 or 9800)
what do you think?
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-08-09 09:07 PM EDT (US)     12 / 152       
I think it's a waste of money.

Build one yourself. There are many excellent pc building guides online. Plus, building a pc is really straight forward. A few main components. Screw in a few things, plug in a few cables here and there. Mount 2 or 3 components and you are basically set. Plop the windows installation CD into the drive install it and you are set.

Plus hands down you WILL save HUNDREDS buy building one yourself.. Not to mention if you do buy a prebuilt, it will be just infested with demo software crap that will give you nothing but hassles.

[This message has been edited by Daelon (edited 01-08-2009 @ 09:08 PM).]

Dark_Hoplit
Mariner
posted 01-08-09 11:46 PM EDT (US)     13 / 152       
Yea, i know, and i think is reasonable what u sead, u know, i think i will search for some guilds, and stuff, but u know the real problem is that mt father is kind of eseptic of building a compu your own so...=S
But i will investigate anyway,thx! any advice for bulding it myself?
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 01-09-09 07:24 AM EDT (US)     14 / 152       
Some websites where you can order individual parts also have an assembly service so you can let them put it together for you. It costs some money, but overall it will be cheaper than buying a completely pre-build one.

Hussarknight
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-09-09 06:31 PM EDT (US)     15 / 152       
any advice for bulding it myself?
You will need:

Screwdriver (Phillups)
PC components
Windows installation disk
counter/desk to work on (Do not work on carpet)

Thats all you need. In order as I build pc's goes like this:

Set the case down on its back. Take your power supply unit, or "PSU" and fit it into the upper left corner of your case. (Upper left being defined if you are looking at your case correctly, the expansion bays for hard drives/disk drives are on the left). Then screw the PSU into the back of the case 4 times, make sure it is fitting correctly and securely. Then once done, take the huge bundle of cables and sling it over the side for now.

place and align the motherboard on top of the sockets in the motherboard.
screw in 5-6 brass spacers in between the motherboard holes and the case. The spacers are to ground the motherboard from electrical charge when sitting on the case, the spacers provide enough room to also protect the circuitry on the bottom of the mobo.

Once motherboard placed onto spacers, find where the spacers have been aligned and take motherboard screws to firmly seat the motherboard.

(Those 2-3 steps was as hard as it gets)

Next once the mobo has been seated firmly and properly, get your CPU and place it in the socket. The CPU will have a corner that has been "sawed off", match that with the sawed off corner on the CPU socket. Then gently put the CPU down onto its socket.

Next read through your CPU heatsinks instructions to place it. The CPU heatsink can be a pain sometimes, but usually the instructions are just straight forward.

After you have the CPU/CPU Heatsink seated, you can move on to place the hard drives/disk drives components. They are simple, requiring 3-4 screws to install. Start with the disk drive first, its bigger and easier to do.
Find a slot on the expansion bay towards the front of the pc, and align the harddrive with the screw slots in the expansion bay. screw it all in. Repeat with the disk drive.

Make sure they are properly aligned with the expansion bays.

Next can be the RAM. Very simple. Take your RAM sticks and find the RAM banks on the motherboard, they should be slender 3-4 inch long threads. Align the spacing in the RAM stick to the indent in the banking. Once firmly in place, snap it in with the 2 snapping gizmo's on the end of the bank.

Once done, take your video card and find the expansion slots. They will be located at the bottom of the mobo, usually bottom left. Find the correct expansion slot and gently press the video card into place, make sure that it is locked in.

Once this is done, you plug it everything needed. All 4/8 pins. 70% of the plugs that go into a pc are power related.

Disk drives, hard drives, fans, graphic cards, all require power. Make sure they are plugged in correctly.
The motherboard should take an 8 pin, some motherboards need both 6 and 8 pins.

I HIGHLY suggest you find a detailed guide online, this was just made today and I am not very good at explaining.
Dark_Hoplit
Mariner
posted 01-09-09 09:39 PM EDT (US)     16 / 152       
Wow! thex u a lot, its kind of your part to explain me at this level, i have benn serching online for guids, and i have done great dicovers, i think i will start seaching for the components i want, and maybe,(with some luck) in about 4 week i will be bulding my computer! thx again!
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-09-09 10:04 PM EDT (US)     17 / 152       
You got it! Good luck.
Duan Xuan
Mariner
posted 01-10-09 08:19 PM EDT (US)     18 / 152       
Remember also to use an anti-static wristband or mat. Don't fry your expensive new toys with ESD.

Also, I would suggest you start taking apart some components of your current PC first, then fixing them back. If you haven't done that before, or don't even know what a molex plug is, don't think about putting an entire system together.
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-10-09 08:22 PM EDT (US)     19 / 152       
Yeah thats a good suggestion. If you dont have a ESD wrist strap, make sure you are touching metal on the case to ground yourself.
NapoleonIII
Mariner
posted 01-17-09 07:56 PM EDT (US)     20 / 152       
I'm wondering how well my PC would run the game. Here is what dxdiag says:

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Model: PW571AA-ABU t830.uk
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/14/04 19:30:48 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.93GHz, ~2.9GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1357MB used, 2981MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: The file RTKVHDA.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Sound Tab 2: The file RTKVHDA.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7900 GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0292&SUBSYS_040110B0&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1272 MB
Dedicated Memory: 504 MB
Shared Memory: 767 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7824 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/7/2008 13:33:00, 5963776 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-41D2-11CF-906D-0A2401C2CA35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0292
SubSys ID: 0x040110B0
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_B ModeWMV9_B ModeVC1_A ModeWMV9_A
Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x32315659) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC3,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC4,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(S340,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{B338D50D-A64A-4790-AC01-475B64252A78}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(S342,UNKNOWN) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-17-09 08:02 PM EDT (US)     21 / 152       
You can play ETW on medium-low settings, might want to bump up the RAM + GPU however.
NapoleonIII
Mariner
posted 01-18-09 11:09 AM EDT (US)     22 / 152       
Does a dual-core processor perform at double the number of operations as a single-core one of the same frequency? For example would a dual-core 2ghz processor actually perfom around double the operations of a single-core 2ghz processor?

Also, I'm thinking of buying a laptop with the T7300 core 2 processor. How well would that handle ETW on the high-settings?

[This message has been edited by NapoleonIII (edited 01-18-2009 @ 11:14 AM).]

Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-18-09 12:16 PM EDT (US)     23 / 152       
It does in a way, depending on the core of the CPU and the game.
NapoleonIII
Mariner
posted 01-20-09 01:51 PM EDT (US)     24 / 152       
How well would these specs run the game on the highest settings (I ask because I'm thinking of buying it).

* Intel Quad Core Q8300 processor.

* 2.5GHz processor speed.

* 4MB cache.

* 4GB DDR2 RAM upgradeable to ??GB.

* 500GB SATA2 hard drive capacity.

* Multiformat dual layer DVD RW optical drive.

* nVidia GeForce 120GT graphics card.

* 1GB dedicated graphics memory.
Primo
Mariner
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 01-20-09 02:51 PM EDT (US)     25 / 152       
Not sure, but probably pretty well. Your system is comparable to mine, and mine's running some of the most demanding games today pretty smoothly, And Total War has never made graphics their utmost priority, so you should be good.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-20-09 04:32 PM EDT (US)     26 / 152       
That's a decent pc.. a 260 is a fine GPU.
The Elite Lord
Mariner
posted 01-24-09 02:23 PM EDT (US)     27 / 152       
With a

Intel Duo Core 2.12 Ghz
Nivada7900 GS
3 Gigs of Ram

Are you sure I could get medium settings? Or would it be best if I just upgraded the graphics card or processor first?

What's so special about The Boss? She beat Jesus in an arm wrestle, that's what! -WallyFeliz
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-24-09 03:25 PM EDT (US)     28 / 152       
Upgrade graphics card and you could reach high settings depending onthe upgrade.
The Elite Lord
Mariner
posted 01-24-09 09:13 PM EDT (US)     29 / 152       
So with my current setup, would I get a solid medium while running Empire: Total War? What would you recommend for a new graphic's card? I have the processor upgrade already planned though I need help of what graphic card I should look into. Budget isn't a issue here. Thanks.

What's so special about The Boss? She beat Jesus in an arm wrestle, that's what! -WallyFeliz
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-24-09 11:59 PM EDT (US)     30 / 152       
Yeah you could probably get semi-solid settings depending on your resolution. I suggest a 9800GTX or an 880GTX if money is not an issue. Preferably from XFX,eVGA or BFG.
Eddie_Six
Mariner
posted 01-31-09 08:15 AM EDT (US)     31 / 152       
Not knowing much about hardwar I'm going to have to ask

Currently have:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10Ghz
767MB RAM
Vista OS
NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405

Hard drive space shouldn't be an issue because I have an external hard drive I can shift stuff onto.

I am looking to upgrade but am also on a budget. I would be willing to spend around £150 so what would be the priorities/recommendations for purchase

If you can recommend a good product please do be as specific as possible.
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-31-09 12:05 PM EDT (US)     32 / 152       
You'll definitely need to upgrade the RAM & graphics card, You won't be able to play ETW easily with your current setup.
Eddie_Six
Mariner
posted 01-31-09 12:45 PM EDT (US)     33 / 152       
Thanks that's what I feared
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 01-31-09 12:50 PM EDT (US)     34 / 152       
Yeah, I'm surprised that you can run Vista with that much RAM. Playing games must be difficult! 3 Gigs on Vista would be suffice for ETW.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-01-09 06:01 AM EDT (US)     35 / 152       
Can you make a recommendation on a new AGP graphics card that will allow me to run ETW? (And by run I mean just work, I don't want extreme graphics or anything) It will be coupled with a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 & 2 gigs of RAM.

I've looked around a little and the choice seems to be between the ATI 2400 PRO, ATI 3450, GeForce 6200, GeForce 6800 and GeForce 7600 GS/GT. Am I right in assuming that an ATI 3650 would be overkill?

btw the screen I use is 17" inch one with a max resolution of 1024x768.

Hussarknight
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-01-09 12:07 PM EDT (US)     36 / 152       
I can, however, AGP x8 slots are quite out-dated, along with the cards that can be used for it. The SAPPHIRE 100228L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit is a good GPU for AGP however. You can't go wrong, it's a tad bit pricey but it will definitely get the job done. I'd expect a solid medium setting with this card!
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-03-09 10:38 AM EDT (US)     37 / 152       
Have talked to my dad a bit about a new graphics card. my dad wants a passively cooled card to keep the noise down and the current PSU gives 300W so the card can't have a too high power consumption. (a 3850 doesn't seem doable)We looked at a lot of sites yesterday and there seems to be three candidates: the GeForce 6200 and 7600 and the Radeon 2600Pro. From benchmarks it looks like the 7600 is best, followed by the 2600 and then the 6200? Is that correct?

Hussarknight
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-03-09 06:28 PM EDT (US)     38 / 152       
I don't recommend the 6200. If budget isn't a problem, upgrade the PSU. As far as benchmarking goes, it depends on what programs have been bench marked, with drivers n such. The 7600 & 2600 are close in performance.
Crue Knight
Divine Favor
(id: Crusader Knight)
posted 02-03-09 11:37 PM EDT (US)     39 / 152       
Nice thread Daelon.

¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
¨°º¤ø„¸EPIC MOD „ø¤º°¨
¸„ø¤º°¨ IS EPIC!``°º¤ø„¸?
¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º
Ex mod on: Spore - HG - RoN - RoL - N:TW
Check out my: DeviantArt - Steam
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-04-09 00:03 AM EDT (US)     40 / 152       
Nice thread Daelon.
Thanks m8, cheers.

I just ordered my second 9800GT tonight for my SLI...

Ahhh, I can test the maxed out settings already.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-04-09 12:44 PM EDT (US)     41 / 152       
I don't recommend the 6200. If budget isn't a problem, upgrade the PSU. As far as benchmarking goes, it depends on what programs have been bench marked, with drivers n such. The 7600 & 2600 are close in performance.
Upgrading the PSu would have been a bit troublesome I'm afraid. Anyway, my dad ordered a 7600GT today so I'll have a comp that can handle ETW in time.

Hussarknight
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-04-09 05:30 PM EDT (US)     42 / 152       
Indeed, is it a BFG?
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-05-09 10:57 AM EDT (US)     43 / 152       
If you're referring to the manufacturer then no, it's from MSI with 512 MB of memory.

Hussarknight
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-05-09 06:12 PM EDT (US)     44 / 152       
Not bad, MSI can have some strange tech support at times. Other than that the MSI's are relatively good cards.
PimpinKid
Mariner
posted 02-10-09 08:09 PM EDT (US)     45 / 152       
Ok, I know my PC can't handle this game since i have the weakest processor ever, 2 CPUs at 1.6ghz each baby! haha i know i know, i'm still young and inexperienced...

So I want to start from scratch again, what do you recommend I should buy to start off, and then what to upgrade it to for a Solid rocking Med settings on ETW? Cuz It seems neither the ps3 nor 360 are doing well on strategy games and i plan to sell them haha
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 02-10-09 08:11 PM EDT (US)     46 / 152       
Well what is your budget? And are you planning on building this system by yourself?

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
PimpinKid
Mariner
posted 02-10-09 08:22 PM EDT (US)     47 / 152       
Uhm budget doesn't matter i'm getting 100K in debt with college a lil more wont hurt. And uhm, i guess it's by myself, unless someone wants to help??? lol
Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-11-09 12:52 PM EDT (US)     48 / 152       
Hahaha, yeah why not throw on another 3k in debt! :P

I'm having my own problems now, these 9800GT's that I have in SLI are giving me some bad temperature problems...
NapoleonIII
Mariner
posted 02-11-09 01:58 PM EDT (US)     49 / 152       
Can this play the game on highest settings:

AMD® Phenom™ X4 9550 Quad Core 2.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache
512MB GDDR3 ATI® Radeon™ HD 4850
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 1024MB
Alienware® Approved AMD® 790FX Motherboard

[This message has been edited by NapoleonIII (edited 02-11-2009 @ 02:01 PM).]

Waffentraeger
Mariner
posted 02-11-09 02:02 PM EDT (US)     50 / 152       
Nice rig, I'm assuming its an Alienware? And yes high settings would be easy for it I'm assuming. (Should have posted that in the proper thread!)

I am having a bit of luck with the temp issues.. I have had to underclock both GPU's to even lower clocks, and raise the fan speed up to 95%, I will be buying an aftermarket cooler so I can just give an overkill on ETW.

[This message has been edited by Daelon (edited 02-11-2009 @ 02:02 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames