We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.544 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Holy Roman Party XVIII: Australians All Let Us Rejoice!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 21 22  Next Page »
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 01-10-17 11:52 PM EDT (US)         
Australia: The Land Where Everything IS Trying to Kill You

THAT’S right everyone- of course I would do an Australian themed Holy Roman Party. Or should I say HOLY AUSTRALIAN PARTY! Australia is the land of Dangerous Animals, dangerous weather, and dangerous women! Our cemeteries are so full cause everyone is dying to get in them! It’s a land where most of the people believe that centuries of injustice to the aboriginal peoples can be wiped away by a little apology!

Oh, and by the by, Australia’s military record is pretty good too! You would expect people from a land where the weather, women and animals are so dangerous to be pretty decent shots- and hardy! Aussies and New Zealanders paired together in World War One creating one of the world’s most iconic and instantly recognised acronyms- ANZAC. Australia is proud (and very defensive) of its ANZAC tradition- so fine travellers, when you get to Australia don’t mention that most of our troops in WW1 were aggressive and violent thieves and brawlers, even though they most certainly were!

Although Australians love to break the rules, these are some that cannot be broken in this thread:

1.Don’t be a flamin Galah (look this up if necessary)! No Flaming

2.Trolls were left behind in Europe due to the lack of space on the convict ships. No Trolling

3.Fishing is one of Australia’s prime industries, we just don’t like competition. No Baiting

4.We really tire of hearing how we are all descended from convicts- so don’t tell us more then once a week! No double posting unless a week has passed

5.Only the golden oldies still love a nice tin of heavily processed meat! No Spam

6.We landed on Australia because we stole rule 6.

7.And then once released we went and stole rule 7.

8.Here in Aussie, a bit of stupidity- like trying to tickle a brown snake, can get you killed. No Stupidity! But the long hot days need a bit of humour to help them pass. Silliness, on the other hand, is allowed

Winners of the Order of Australia:
100: DominicusUltimus
476: Terikel Grayhair
500: General Sajaru
1000:
1066:
1337:
1415:
1500:
1788:
1901:
2000:
2500:

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 11-13-2020 @ 11:40 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 12-15-20 04:56 PM EDT (US)     526 / 544       
I guess the simplest way to explain it is Rome: Total War mixed with The Last Airbender, the various Lantern Corps from the Green Lantern comics and a dash of Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones mixed in. I'm planning to have the story unfold over the course of seven or nine books with almost each book taking place on a different planet.
This sounds pretty close to a perfect brew!

You almost make me want to get back into more serious (or at least, finished-product-oriented) writing. I don't write much except character back-stories and plot outlines these days, plus the occasional mournful poem - just for my own amusement, rather than with any publicable opus in mind. I deliberately kicked proper story-writing into the long grass some time ago... who knew grown-ups had so many calls on their time and creative energy!

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

*tegos, -esos, noun, neuter. house.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 12-15-2020 @ 04:59 PM).]

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 12-15-20 07:51 PM EDT (US)     527 / 544       
You almost make me want to get back into more serious (or at least, finished-product-oriented) writing. I don't write much except character back-stories and plot outlines these days, plus the occasional mournful poem - just for my own amusement, rather than with any publicable opus in mind. I deliberately kicked proper story-writing into the long grass some time ago... who knew grown-ups had so many calls on their time and creative energy!
Anything in particular that's been stopping you from putting pen to paper (or keyboard to document)? It sounds like you'd have quite a bit of material to support those efforts.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 12-16-20 10:29 AM EDT (US)     528 / 544       
I suppose mainly two things:

I've always struggled with coming up with satisfying plot structures of my own - and once I've done so, ie I know what happens, I tend not to be very motivated to actually flesh out the narrative...

Also - my interests vary quite erratically! I may start writing a story in one world, but by chapter 4 I'd rather be writing in a completely different universe. Keeping at it starts to feel like "work" rather than fun - and I decided that I primarily wanted to write for fun, so I stopped trying to force myself. 🙃 I have enough work with work!

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

*tegos, -esos, noun, neuter. house.
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 12-16-20 08:02 PM EDT (US)     529 / 544       
Those are both excellent reasons not to write more seriously. With the way I've taken to writing, I don't plot extensively, which helps with the first, but I enjoy finding out what's next, which helps with the second.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 12-17-20 12:38 PM EDT (US)     530 / 544       
Sometimes I just let my mind rattle along and when I finally come to a stop, go back and read what I scribbled.

Sometimes what I write astounds me. Other times it makes me laugh.

I like surprises.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 12-19-20 11:03 AM EDT (US)     531 / 544       
This sounds pretty close to a perfect brew!
I thought so too. I've had the story brewing in my mind since high school, even before I created my account here. One of the main reasons why I was holding on off on making a serious commitment to writing it down is because I wanted to publish at least one historical fiction novel before delving into fantasy. But after everything that's happened this year, I decided to throw caution to the wind and just do it.
I've always struggled with coming up with satisfying plot structures of my own - and once I've done so, ie I know what happens, I tend not to be very motivated to actually flesh out the narrative...
That was another reason why it took me so long to write. I knew the story I wanted to tell, but I didn't know how to tell it properly or had enough inspiration to do so.
Also - my interests vary quite erratically! I may start writing a story in one world, but by chapter 4 I'd rather be writing in a completely different universe. Keeping at it starts to feel like "work" rather than fun - and I decided that I primarily wanted to write for fun, so I stopped trying to force myself. 🙃 I have enough work with work!
That's why I'm a huge fan of stories seen from the viewpoints of multiple characters in different places like LOTR or GOT, and it's what I'm aiming to do with my multiple world story format. I can have one chapter focused on characters fighting on a temperate world, then change it up and make the next chapter focused on another group that's exploring ruins in a desert or a jungle.

But I'm trying to avoid the 'single biome' trope for different worlds that's commonly used in Star Trek. Just because the characters are currently in a jungle or mountainous area, doesn't mean the entire planet is like that. I'm going to put in a bunch of things like oceans, beaches, plains and unique places like cursed lands filled with thousands of undead Elves and Dwarves locked in eternal combat with each other.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums

[This message has been edited by DominicusUltimus (edited 12-19-2020 @ 11:03 AM).]

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 12-20-20 03:50 PM EDT (US)     532 / 544       
Just because the characters are currently in a jungle or mountainous area, doesn't mean the entire planet is like that. I'm going to put in a bunch of things like oceans, beaches, plains and unique places like cursed lands filled with thousands of undead Elves and Dwarves locked in eternal combat with each other.
Well that escalated quickly! No planet of the hats then- always makes things more believable.
That's why I'm a huge fan of stories seen from the viewpoints of multiple characters in different places like LOTR or GOT, and it's what I'm aiming to do with my multiple world story format.
Are you planning to use first or third person?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 12-25-20 12:53 PM EDT (US)     533 / 544       
God jul and a Merry Christmas to all.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 12-27-20 04:35 AM EDT (US)     534 / 544       
It is a day or two late, but then again, so am I. Still, I consider it a Jultid classic to celebrate our beloved game:

On the first day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
A crushing vic-tor-y

On the second day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
Two onagers and
A crushing vic-tor-y

On the third day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
Three fleets of Danes
Two onagers and
A crushing vic-tor-y

On the fourth day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
Four bands of Vikings
Three fleets of Danes
Two onagers and
A crushing vic-tor-y

On the fifth day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
Five Beautiful Slaves
Four bands of Vikings
Three fleets of Danes
Two onagers and
A crushing vic-tor-y

On the Sixth day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
Six Dragonships
Five Beautiful Slaves
Four bands of Vikings
Three fleets of Danes
Two onagers and
A crushing vic-tor-y

On the Seventh day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
Seven Legionary Cohorts
Six Dragonships
Five Beautiful Slaves
Four bands of Vikings
Three fleets of Danes
Two onagers and
A crushing vic-tor-y

On the Eighth day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
Eight Ambushed Egyptian Generals
Seven Legionary Cohorts
Six Dragonships
Five Beautiful Slaves
Four bands of Vikings
Three fleets of Danes
Two onagers and
A crushing vic-tor-y

On the Ninth day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
Nine Plundered Burgs
Eight Ambushed foes
Seven Legionary Cohorts
Six Dragonships
Five Beautiful Slaves
Four bands of Vikings
Three fleets of Danes
Two onagers and
A crushing vic-tor-y

On the Tenth day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
Ten wagons of gold
Nine Plundered Burgs
Eight Ambushed foes
Seven Legionary Cohorts
Six Dragonships
Five Beautiful Slaves
Four bands of Vikings
Three fleets of Danes
Two onagers and
A crushing vic-tor-y

On the Eleventh day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
Eleven Severed Heads
Ten wagons of gold
Nine Plundered Burgs
Eight Ambushed foes
Seven Legionary Cohorts
Six Dragonships
Five Beautiful Slaves
Four bands of Vikings
Three fleets of Danes
Two onagers and
A crushing vic-tor-y

On the Twelfth day of Jultid, my generals gave to me
Twelve concubines
Eleven Severed Heads
Ten wagons of gold
Nine Plundered Burgs
Eight Ambushed foes
Seven Legionary Cohorts
Six Dragonships
Five Beautiful Slaves
Four bands of Vikings
Three fleets of Danes
Two onagers and
A crushing vic-tor-y

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 12-28-20 04:46 AM EDT (US)     535 / 544       
A belated God Jul Terikel!

I like the song, but it does seem to skew a bit towards a couple of your passions...

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 12-29-20 10:45 AM EDT (US)     536 / 544       
I did not notice.

I simply enjoyed writing it a few years back. Something Mrs Grayhair said triggered a memory of that song, so I spent a few day searching for it. Thus the delay.

I enjoy reading it, too. And singing. The neighbors hate that- I sing with volume and power. And mostly in Norwegian.

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-04-21 07:10 PM EDT (US)     537 / 544       
Well here we are in 2021. The world hasn't managed to end...yet, despite all predictions to the contrary.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-05-21 11:50 AM EDT (US)     538 / 544       
Those who believe the world will end are buffoons and easily misled.

The world will not end until the sun goes nova and explodes in about 4,5 billion years. Then the world will end. It will be eaten by the expanding sun, baked to a cinder, and what is left ejected into space for the next cycle.

Civilization will not end, either. Maybe the civilization we live in might end, but another will be along to replace it. Always has, probably always will until the Iranians get nukes, use them against the Great Satan and get nuked into the Stone Age in retaliation. Or give one to IS with the same result.

Or Kim Young-One gets a wild hair up his ass and lights one off at Japan, intending to hit some unoccupied island in the Pacific but having it morbidly and ghastly malfunction.

Life might end, civilization might end, but the world itself will go on.

I wonder, if after a nuclear holocaust wiping most of life off the planet, will there be human-like species 4,5 billion years from now watching in horror as the sun gets bigger and bigger?

And will they have found a way off-world to keep their species alive?

Food for thought.

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-06-21 01:52 AM EDT (US)     539 / 544       
Fortunately for all of us, there aren't even enough nuclear weapons to kill most humans, let alone make things difficult for all of us- and the disincentives against using them are high. Until Iran obtains nukes, the far greater concern are India and Pakistan; while much of their talk of nuclear war is just that, there's definitely some truth behind it.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-07-21 11:41 AM EDT (US)     540 / 544       
Where do you get your numbers from?

Not forty years ago the talking heads on the telly were saying the USSR had enough warheads to nuke the planet five times over, while the US had enough to wipe all life off the planet six times over.

SALT I and II cut those numbers down, to maybe two times over.

That's not counting the British and French who have their own stockpiles, and maybe the Israelis- always suspected, never proven. The Chinese, Indians, and Pakistanis have their own supply.

Add in Kimmy Young Un and Ayatoilet Whateverhisname joining the Nuke Club and the world becomes a very unstable place.

The key thing about nuclear weapons. Like biological ones, you DO NOT use them. You keep them in your pocket for protection, but never use them. Bio is an easy one to figure out why- you cannot control a biological weapon. It goes where it wants to go- including back to its user's homeland.

Nukes are slightly different. They go where you send them, then flatten the place. People are kind of used to nukes and think them something of a big bomb and that's it. It is that, and much much more. Ask any Japanese.

I see news stories of 'Lions of Islam' festooned with hand grenades, a sniper rifle, a submachinegun and several pistols and knives going out to bomb a marketplace of civilians. If they wear that much hardware for something as cowardly as that, they will have no qualms about sacrificing themselves to Allah to detonate a nuke on US soil.

If that happens, nothing in all the world will stop them from doing it again. And again.

There are multiple ways to stop that from happening, of course. Some are even legal. The easiest and most efficient way is to prevent the bastards from getting The Bomb in the first place. Once they do and use it, you are left with some really hard decisions. Mainly, turn their homeland into a parking lot, or genocide? Letting them do it again is out of the question.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 01-07-2021 @ 11:42 AM).]

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-11-21 07:58 PM EDT (US)     541 / 544       
Currently, Russia and the US have around 6,000 warheads each and the rest of the world is estimated at 1,200 at the high end. If all of those were launched at once at the largest cities in the world, you'd kill a lot of people, but it certainly wouldn't "wipe out all life on earth". All of the people living in more rural areas would survive- and even the majority of people in larger geographic cities would survive unless you used multiple warheads on them (here's a website that shows you the various effect radii of a nuclear device)

As for North Korea, it's pretty clear that they do have nuclear weapons- they just don't have any means of delivering them, short of driving. If they were willing to use one on the DMZ and then drive a bunch more into South Korea, they could do a lot of damage. Of course, as you say, the rest of the world would be ready to retaliate swiftly, as they should.

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-12-21 11:46 AM EDT (US)     542 / 544       
If someone lit off 12,000 nuclear warheads around the globe, certainly many many would be killed by the blasts. A single multi-kiloton warhead can pulverize a city center and annihilate its suburbs as well. There are only 10,000 cities in the world. That leaves 2000 other warheads to deal with the countryside.

How many would succumb to the after-effects, like no electricity, no running water, no sewage treatment plants? The rotting off those not killed immediately would cause disease and other horrors.

Then there is the fallout. The blast is the immediate killer, but that is on the ground. Nuclear warheads explode in the air. A good bit of the radiation goes upwards. It then cools and falls, being heavier than air, in a predictable pattern over a much wider area- if there was anyone left with the data and the formulas.

Radiation lasts a long time and the gamma rays they exude tend to f*ck up DNA. That's what causes mutations. Few are good ( a third eye in the back of the head might be handy for a bald man) but most are bad.

Uranium 235, the crap they make nuclear warheads from, has a half-life of 703 million years. Plutonium, on the other hand, has a half-life of only 24000 years. (Half life means the time it takes for the substance to lose half of its radioactivity)

That kind of dust blowing around, damaging things and DNA, might not destroy all life on earth, but it will certain do in the vast majority of it. It will certainly change those humans who survive the blasts, forcing them into major adaptation to survive at all.

I wonder if they will still be human two hundred years after all goes poof?

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-17-21 07:50 AM EDT (US)     543 / 544       
I imagine you and I wouldn't be very happy if people started tossing around nukes- after all, we live near big cities, and we'd get to enjoy all of that nice fallout. That of course does presuppose that the nukes manage to reach their targets- with most of the users, not an inconsequential consideration. In fact, with someone like Russia, the odds of most of their supposedly "deployed" warheads actually launching is low- it's hard to open the missile silo doors when you've drunk the hydraulic fluid, or when your ballistic missile submarine is at the bottom of the harbor.

I would say that the biggest threat to the US and Europe in terms of nuclear attack would be a "hand delivered" bomb- one driven in a vehicle or a similar means of transport. After all, it's not too hard to shoot down a missile these days. Maybe those open borders the EU is so big on weren't the best idea?

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01-18-21 11:31 AM EDT (US)     544 / 544       
Very good points, all of them.

Russian missiles have less than a respectable rate of hitting their target zone, much less target point. The American ones are more accurate, but not perfect, either. I read somewhere that over long shots (intercontinental) the curve of the earth and varying magnetic fields confuse missiles a bit.

I live on the edge of one of the circles painted by your link. That's just blast damage. Fallout if the wind blows in the wrong direction would cover us like snow. I know the ash will.

Missiles can be shot down (see Patriot) but I don't think they've tested anti-missile missiles against targets dropping from outer space as most ICBMs do. They can hit shit in the atmosphere for sure, tracking, plotting, aiming and boom.

Tom Clancy wrote a wonderful novel, containing some real-life research, that went into a tale about China launching nukes and the scramble to stop the inbound.

So, like you said, the most accurate and probable delivery would not be ICBM or cruise missile, but by Fedex or TNT or whatever.

Better if children did not play with weapons; they might hurt someone or themselves. Or both.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 21 22  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames