We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.101 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Of God and Kings: Reformation Map Game
Bottom
Topic Subject:Of God and Kings: Reformation Map Game
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Scenter102
Mariner
posted 11-08-14 01:33 PM EDT (US)         
The World on January 1, 1520

The Catholic church has become corrupt and bloated. So much so that a monk named Martin Luther has found 95 issues with the church and nailed them to a door. The Pope has ordered him to recant, but Luther has dared to defy the church. Luther is also begining to find supporters and gain a following. History is about to change, how will nations react?

The Great Powers
The Papacy(Popeychops): The Catholic church controls the majority of the European world, but, it has it's own problems. Many people are starting to feel that the church is becoming bloated and corrupt. Up until Martin Luther, none of the sever critics have been reachable and killable, but Luther is being protected by the duke of Saxony.

Spain(Excelsior): Ruled by the Habsburg family, the traditional Holy Roman Emperors, Spain has risen to be the most powerful European country with their holdings in the New World. Charles V, the one and true king of Spain, also has familial ties with Austria and England. Spain's major rival of the day is the Valois held France. Charles V is a devout Catholic.

England(Awesome Eagle): Ruled by Henry VIII, England is an island nation. England's navy is considered one of the best in the world. The English have a long drawn rivalry with the French. Which has made war seem eminent, up until recently that is. Henry has been seeking an alliance with the French at the suggestion of his trusted adviser Wolsey. Henry is a devout Catholic and is writing a book denouncing the reformer Martin Luther. Henry's wife, a relative of Charles V, has been unable to bear children.

France(Alex the Bold): Ruled by Francis of the Valois family, France has been one of the most powerful countries in Europe since the Hundred Years War. France has a rivalry with Spain and England.

The Lesser Powers

Scotland(Lucius Julius): Currently ruled by a regent and in the Shadow of England, Scotland may face civil war over the who has more control over the future King.

Austria(Punic Hebil): Austria is one of the major electors of the Holy Roman Empire, and is currently ruled by Ferdinand II who also has a claim to the Hungarian throne through marriage.

Wallachia(Dominicus Ultimus): currently allied with
the Hungarians and supported by the Ottomans. Wallachia is a member of the Orthodox church. It also supplies the Ottomans with military supplies.

Sweden(Jetkill): Sweden is facing invasion by Denmark and is currently outmatched and on the verge of losing the conflict.

Bavaria(Hannibal): one of the electors to the Holy Roman Emperor, Bavaria holds some minor power in the Empire.

The Rules

Basically, as long as it makes sense you can do it, I reserve the right to make things more interesting(who wants alien invasions?) if I so choose though I'll try to make the random events more historical than fiction. Please bold your commands using [b][/b]. Every Saturday marks the end of a year, but I will post in between them.

If anyone has any issues(or if I missed someone) let me know.

[This message has been edited by Scenter102 (edited 11-08-2014 @ 03:23 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Lucius Julius
Mariner
posted 11-08-14 07:34 PM EDT (US)     1 / 101       
I presume that John Stewart is regent during 1520.

The Regent of Scotland wishes to know how much money there is in the treasury, also he wants to know if there is any unrest and if there is he would like to know why.

He also wishes to know if all taxes are being collected and Scotland's overseas relations with other kingdoms and empires.

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Matria Mori - It is sweet and meet to die for one's country.

We all die in the end, it only matters when and how - Me

Roma Invicta!
Scenter102
Mariner
posted 11-08-14 07:53 PM EDT (US)     2 / 101       
Yeah, I'm having trouble coming up with info on Scotland though.

The treasury is able to support some investments but, it is by no means burgeoning. Advisers state that Scotland could support only a short war with it's current stockpile.

There is unrest, namely in the Highlands over their desire for independence. There is also disagreement over the influence over the future King between clan Douglas and Clan Hamilton.

Scotland is friendly with both France and England, but it will not last too long given their rivalry.

All taxes are being collected.
Lucius Julius
Mariner
posted 11-08-14 09:08 PM EDT (US)     3 / 101       
The Regent travels to the Highlands and talks to the clans, saying that if they want independence then Scotland will no longer be united and civil war could erupt, making Scotland weak and open for invasion.

The Regent also says that the Highlanders are allowed to speak with the king, his advisers and the regent if they have any issues.

Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Matria Mori - It is sweet and meet to die for one's country.

Roma Invicta!
Jetkill Fastmurder
Mariner
(id: Mayank Sharma)
posted 11-08-14 11:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 101       
I was expecting a bigger intro, given that most of us will ask about our state of affairs anyway.

Is my character Gustav Vasa or someone else, given that he swung into action only after the Stockholm Massacre, which happened in November 1520.

The ruler of Sweden (whoever he may be) wishes to know about the current state of the war, the finances and foreign relations of Sweden.

He also wishes to know whether Denmark has any allies that it can call to war.

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor" - Alexis Carrel
Dawn of Fantasy Heaven Census II

[This message has been edited by Jetkill Fastmurder (edited 11-08-2014 @ 11:26 PM).]

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 11-09-14 02:05 AM EDT (US)     5 / 101       
King Henry politely asks as to the state of the treasury, the amount of unrest in the nation, and a guess as to the size of his army. (Sorry scenter, i know this stuff is annoying)

The King sends a representative north to Scotland, and one south to France, in order to establish more cordial relations. The King offers peace and friendship. He awaits their response.

The King asks as to the state of his children (I assume Henry's daughter is alive?)

The Royal Navy is ordered to assemble when it can near Dover, so it can be inspected by the King.

A upgraded system of paved roads is ordered to be constructed towards the northern Scottish border, in order to facilitate faster movement. A deadline of three years is asked for, granted it does not stretch the budget.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Hannibal the Conqueror
Mariner
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 11-09-14 02:06 AM EDT (US)     6 / 101       
William the Fourth wishes to know the status of the House of Wittelsbach's finances, and the profitable venues of investment in the duchy.

The Duke wishes to be informed of underdeveloped infrastructure in the Duchy.

The Duke wants to learn of the happenings in the Bavarian Circle, and what rivals does he have among the dukes and archbishops.

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
Lucius Julius
Mariner
posted 11-09-14 04:24 AM EDT (US)     7 / 101       
On behave of the king, Regent John Stewart accepts peace and friendship between Scotland and England, he hopes that better relations will occur.

The Regent asks an estimate on how large the navy and army is.

He also would like to know if the roads are in good shape and the different kingdoms that Scotland is trading with.

Roma Invicta!
Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 11-09-14 08:02 AM EDT (US)     8 / 101       
King Francis I gathers his advisors and asks them to provide detailed information on the matters of state, such as the size of the treasury, the state of affairs with foreign nations and the state of the military.

In addition, the English envoy is received in a glamorous ceremony. He is invited in a weekend of hunting and other noble activities, so that he may present to the king his proposals.

Also, anyone wishing any under the table non-official treaties can contact me on mapgamemail@gmail.com

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.

[This message has been edited by Alex_the_Bold (edited 11-09-2014 @ 08:07 AM).]

Scenter102
Mariner
posted 11-09-14 09:06 AM EDT (US)     9 / 101       
I am really starting to hate you guys and your damn gold :P.
Bavaria
Bavaria's treasury has enough gold to last a short war and/or minor investments. Bavaria is rivals with the Habsburg Austria and the Duke's brother, Louis X who holds part of Bavarian lands.

Sweden
So, Sweden in this period is really hard to get info about, basically you're being invaded by the Danes, and you are about to be massacred by the Danes. If you so chose I'll let you play as Vasa.
The Danes are winning the war, due in part to the hesitance of some Swedes to commit entirely to pushing back the Danes.

England

The treasury is in good condition and can support a long war with a great power and a lot of investment, thanks to Henry VII's policies.

Talk has begun in court about cordial relations with the French some powerful nobles are talking of open rebellion.

Mary is alive and well, but should be betrothed to a powerful man soon.

The navy is assembled and is in a good state, being one of the largest navies in the world. The army is sizable and is clustered around York and in Ireland.

"Your deadline is impossible" states the head architect of the project. He'll need 6 years at least to complete the task.

Scotland

The army is small, but can repel invaders. The navy is able to protect shipping along the Scottish coast, but won't be able to support a maritime invasion.

Scotland is trading with the Irish Kingdoms, England and France. The roads are dirt and could be upgraded, but the treasury won't support it.

The Highlanders laugh your messenger out of their halls. Though some ascent and promise their sword to James V forever and always.

The promises of equal opportunity only escalate the conflict as Clan Hamilton is being accused of spending more time than is fair with the young lord. Arms are being gathered by both sides.

France

Your treasury can support a war and some minor investment. You are friendly with Scotland, and rivals with England and Spain.

[This message has been edited by Scenter102 (edited 11-09-2014 @ 09:11 AM).]

Jetkill Fastmurder
Mariner
posted 11-09-14 10:46 AM EDT (US)     10 / 101       
Gustav Vasa it is then. Can I least get a report on foreign relations? You can make them up if you can't find them!

Gustav travels to the province of Dalarna and rallies the miners to his cause, promising them better conditions and a charter of rights.

Gustav asks his advisers for a report on the current military and Naval strength of Sweden and Denmark, so that he may better organize his war efforts.

Gustav asks the Hanseatic cities of Lubeck, Hamburg, Luneburg, Wismar, Rostock, Straslund and Malmo to honor their promise for mutual protection and aid to the Hanseatic city of Stockholm, which is about to be sacked by the Danes. To not do so would be against the founding principle of the League. In return, he promises not to close down any Hanseatic Kontors in Swedish cities, which the Danes will surely do if they capture Swedish territory.

Gustav sends his diplomats and military commanders to Helsinki and other Finnish cities to rally support, telling them of the sacking and massacre of captured Swedish cities and warns them that they might suffer the same fate.

Gustav also asks the duchies of Mecklenberg, Schleswig and Pomerania to join in the war against Denmark as they have a mutual benefit from a weakened Denmark, which frequently wages war against the former, which in turn is detrimental to Swedish iron exports. A combined assault on Denmark from the North and South will stretch their lines enough to be weakened. The duchies may keep what part of Denmark they manage to conquer. Surely this is an offer they cannot refuse.

"Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor" - Alexis Carrel

[This message has been edited by Jetkill Fastmurder (edited 11-10-2014 @ 02:42 AM).]

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 11-09-14 11:33 AM EDT (US)     11 / 101       
I second Jetkill's suggestion. Records for some of our chosen factions are fractured and chaotic so feel free to make up what you see fit to fill in the blanks.

Prince Neagoe Basarab wishes to know Wallachia's military and economic status as well as his standing with the western European states and how his positive relations with Hungary and the Ottoman Empire affect it.

He has encouraged the development and expansion of crafts and trade in Wallachia throughout most of his reign so far and wishes to know how his subjects are faring.

I used the wiki page on Neagoe for most of my info on Wallachia's status at this time. Would be nice if you let him live longer (or at least until his son reaches his late teens/early twenties) so Wallachia can have a continuous ruler unless you prefer to go through the historical "Game of Thrones" that played out (which could be fun too ).

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 11-09-14 11:37 AM EDT (US)     12 / 101       
DIPLOMACY
King Francis sends an envoy to the Portuguese king. He offers to protect the Portuguese interests in Europe and invest a small amount of money in exploring for potential trade routes. In exchange, he wishes for exclusive trade rights and for some french navigators to be trained by the Portuguese.

He also sends an envoy to the Pope, proposing that France will stay out of the Italian matters for 10 years if the Sforza line of dukes of Milan is declared illegitimate, as they usurped the throne of the Visconti family, Francis' ancestors. It is implied that a sum of money may be donated if the negotiations are successful.

In addition, a letter is sent to emperor Charles asking for a meeting between the two men, in order to discuss important matters, such as the dispute over the Burgundian lands.

MILITARY
Francis asks for an estimation of the army's size and composition. He also orders his most capable cavalry trainers to go to Milan and train a small force of 100 light cavalrymen for patrolling and scouting, consisting of native Milanese. He also orders his spymaster to find out which Italian condottieri are available for hire
(you can invent some names if you can't find any Scenter I only found Prospero Colonna )

FINANCE

The taxes are to stay at the current level. Any surplus will be put aside creating a fund in case of emergency. Moreover, the purchase of expensive goods buy the royal household is forbidden, unless it is absolutely necessary.

CULTURE
All monasteries, public and private libraries in France are ordered to send a copy of all their books to the royal palace, as the king intends to create an enormous library for thhe scholars from all over the world to study.

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Hannibal the Conqueror
Mariner
posted 11-09-14 12:42 PM EDT (US)     13 / 101       
Newer post written.

DELETED

"I long for Darkness."

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."

[This message has been edited by Hannibal the Conqueror (edited 11-09-2014 @ 01:26 PM).]

Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 11-09-14 01:00 PM EDT (US)     14 / 101       
Pope Leo X declares Francesco II Sforza and his house to be excommunicated from the Church of God. All his legal titles may be challenged by the faithful. His Holiness is pleased by the promise of the French crown to limit its influence in the Italian peninsula.

The Pope is privately horrified by the division brought by the Theses of Martin Luther. A letter is written, to which His Holiness signs his own name, stating that while such matters might be more appropriate for a debate amongst seminarians, His Holiness will recieve Luther in Rome to discuss the ramifications of his writings, with a suggestion that a small number of the Theses may provide useful criticism of Church traditions. With the letter is sent a written Catechism, as a subtle reminder of the truths Luther professed on taking his holy vows.

His Holiness dispatches envoys to the Dukes of Mantua, Lucca, Firenze, Siena, Ancona and Ferrara, suggesting a Holy Italian Union whereby all the Dukes will protect one another from outside conflicts. Any conflict between the Dukes will be mediated by the Pope. Any external aggressor will be excommunicated.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile

[This message has been edited by Popeychops (edited 11-09-2014 @ 01:05 PM).]

Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 11-09-14 01:06 PM EDT (US)     15 / 101       
King Francis gratiously accepts Duke William's good will. He responds with a letter assuring him that he has no ill-will against him. He also wishes to inform duke William on the letter he sent to emperor Charles proposing a meeting of the royalty and the mostt powerful nobles of France and the Empire, inviting duke William to it.

[secret]King Francis also sends some of his agents in Wurttenberg to slowly sway the public opinion in favor of the deposed duke Ulrich, who is currently residing in France.[secret]

A letter is sent to the experienced Genoese admiral Andrea Doria, offering him the position of admiral of the French navy. He shall be responsible for the reorganisation and training of the fleet, in order to rid the Mediterranean of the pirate scourge.

Finally, the king decides to make a tour of France, in order to visit the most powerful nobles and discuss the posibility of a compromise with the Empire. At the same time, he will evaluate the state of French infrastructure.

The king also sends a letter to the Pope, thanking him for the excommunication of the Sforza line. He vows that no French army is to cross the border of the French Milanese territory, unless he is invited by the Pope, or any other Italian power.

[This message has been edited by Alex_the_Bold (edited 11-09-2014 @ 01:10 PM).]

Hannibal the Conqueror
Mariner
posted 11-09-14 01:26 PM EDT (US)     16 / 101       
DELETED YET AGAIN

"I long for Darkness."

[This message has been edited by Hannibal the Conqueror (edited 11-11-2014 @ 02:02 PM).]

Lucius Julius
Mariner
posted 11-09-14 03:22 PM EDT (US)     17 / 101       
The Regent, on behalf of the king, accepts the Dukes offer for trade and better relations. The messenger is invited to a banquet in honour of Duke William.

The Regent asks the King's advisors about Clan Hamilton and the rebelling Scots and what to do.

Roma Invicta!

[This message has been edited by Lucius Julius (edited 11-09-2014 @ 09:23 PM).]

Jetkill Fastmurder
Mariner
posted 11-10-14 01:27 AM EDT (US)     18 / 101       
Gustav, acting ruler of Sweden-though not accepted by all, accepts Duke Williams' warm regards and promises better trade and movement between Sweden and Bavaria once the war is over.

Gustav sends letters to Scotland, England, France, Bavaria and the Papacy requesting them to clarify their position on the Swedish War of Liberation from the Kalmar Union.

Is there any map where the names of all the nations in the current are listed? Because it is pretty hard finding each one of them.

[This message has been edited by Jetkill Fastmurder (edited 11-10-2014 @ 02:25 AM).]

Lucius Julius
Mariner
posted 11-10-14 01:47 AM EDT (US)     19 / 101       
The Regent of Scotland knows of the situation in Sweden and replies to Gustav saying that Scotland will remain neutral unless provoked, however he would like to know the reason for the war.

EDIT:The Regent thanks Duke William IV for his generosity for good relations between them.

The Regent sends a message to the Pope in Rome, asking for his blessing for the young King James V and also to ask for his help if the rebellious Scots rebel against their King.

Roma Invicta!

[This message has been edited by Lucius Julius (edited 11-10-2014 @ 05:19 AM).]

Hannibal the Conqueror
Mariner
posted 11-10-14 02:40 AM EDT (US)     20 / 101       
DIPLOMACY ONLY

Duke William the Fourth expresses his immense support for the Swedish people's right to freedom and liberty, and wishes to inform King Vasa that the Duchy and the House of Wittelsbach fully support his war effort in pursuit of liberation. The Duke hopes that the Swedish people win this war as soon as possible so the bloodshed will be at a minimum.

Duke William would like to express his gratitude towards the Regent's honorable gestures, and would like the Regent to know that these actions would greatly improve the relations between the two states.

"I long for Darkness."

Scenter102
Mariner
posted 11-10-14 06:59 AM EDT (US)     21 / 101       
I don't have time to do an update, expect one tonightish.
Is there any map where the names of all the nations in the current are listed? Because it is pretty hard finding each one of them.
I haven't looked, I'll look into it tonight, if not I'll make a key or something.
Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 11-10-14 11:50 AM EDT (US)     22 / 101       
DIPLOMACY

King Francis receives the Swedish messenger politely. He replies to lord Gustav that he will remain neutral unless French assets are in danger.

By the way Scenter, if you want any assistance regarding the map game, I'm willing to help... I have some free time...

Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 11-10-14 01:12 PM EDT (US)     23 / 101       
Ferdinand II wishes to know the state of the land, as far as religious unrest, money and troop count goes. A general 'what the country is like' would also be greatly appreciated. He sends a courier to Hungary to reaffirm their close ties, as well as see what line in succession Ferdinand II is.

A diplomat is also sent to Bohemia, seeking improved trade relations and a military alliance, so that if one needs the help of the other, they may heed the call to arms if able.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Lucius Julius
Mariner
posted 11-10-14 03:25 PM EDT (US)     24 / 101       
The Regent decides it is time for King James V to be married. He sends a message to King Francis, asking if he has any French brides for the King of Scotland.

The Regent also sends a message to Henry VIII, asking for help with improving the taxation system in Scotland.

Roma Invicta!

[This message has been edited by Lucius Julius (edited 11-10-2014 @ 11:58 PM).]

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 11-11-14 03:01 AM EDT (US)     25 / 101       
Henry hears of the unrest fomenting in his court, and calls all nobles of import to London for a royal address. He will undertake his speech in a closed session once the nobles are assembled.

Henry relents, and agrees with the architect's 6 year deadline. construction will proceed.

30 new army transports are ordered for construction to be ready for the following year.

A permanent army force of 5000 is asked to be assembled (they will be paid a salary). These troops shall be from men currently under arms or volunteers and shall swear a oath of loyalty to Henry alone. They are ordered to assemble in a new army camp a distance of 10 miles from London, to be named Camp Tudor. The force shall incorperate 3500 infantry, 1000 archers and 500 cavalry. The figures that assemble will be reported to Henry when the muster to arms is complete.

The Fate of princess Mary will be pondered.

Sir Thomas More is asked to meet with the King. In the metting, this most trusted, honest adviser is given strict instructions. Within the year he is to root out corruption in taxation, install more honest men, and extend the system to ensure that the tax is being collected fairly and by the amount a person is adequately able to give.

King Henry considers the offer of Bavaria, but then disregards it. Bavaria could barely affect European trade and more continental entanglements should be avoided. An apology is sent to the Duke.

King Henry replies to Gustav in Sweden, stating that he has no view of what appears to be a continental or Scandinavian conflict.

Henry replies that unfortunately the Kingdom is not able to provide such help, struggling as we are to properly collect our tax.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames