We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » New Computer Help
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Computer Help
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 05-10-14 11:51 AM EDT (US)         
As you all know, I am not the most technically-advanced sumbitch to ever swagger down these halls. yet in a day or two I have the chance to acquire a new Magic Metal Box.

My current virtual world runs off a Dell Dimension E521, running a very stable and beloved Windows XP. But that is now dying because Microsoft wants to kill XP (idjits) and now I am looing for something with Windows 8.1 (that I don't have to worry about Microsoft killing for another ten years or so)

I am currently looking at a Dell XPS 8700.

It runs on Windows 8.1 64-bit,
has a 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4440 Processor (6M Cache, 3.1 GHz)
12GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 635 1GB DDR3 video card
Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4 audio (oh well...)
16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD (what? No more 48x?)
and English keyboard (I will naturally replace this)
A Dell Laser Mouse (is this better than the optical mouse I currently have?)
Support for 4 HDD bays: including (3) 3.5” HDDs
–Capable of 1 SSD and 3 HDD configuration

Networking and Wireless
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 + Bluetooth 4.0
Dell Wireless-DW 1703 + Bluetooth 4.0ChassisExternal Chassis Connections

Ports and such
Rear: HDMI, Display Port, RJ-45 (10/100/1000Base), Audio (7.1 channel (6 Jack) Premium Audio Performance), Mic, Line-in, (4) USB 3.0 ports, (2) USB 2.0 ports.

Front: (2) USB 2.0 Ports (Top), (2) USB 3.0 Ports, Mic-in, Headphone, Media Card Reader (MCR 19:119-in-1 Card Reader (CF Type I, CF Type II, Micro drive, mini SD, MMC, MMC mobile, MMC plus, MS, MS Pro, MS Pro Duo, MS Duo, MS Pro-HG, RS-MMC, SD, SDHC Class 2, SDHC Class 4, SDHC Class 6, SM, xD). I currently use my printer to read SDHC cards), (1) Powered USB Charging when system off (Top)

So, will this rig be backwards-compatible to my beloved XP programs (like ACDSee, Dos Box, VLC player)?

Will it be forward-compatible enough to support me playing Total War games through the next ten-fifteen years? Will I be able to mod, or do I need to use those damned Vista tricks?

Do I really need a touch-screen for Windows 8,1, or can I live with a Mouse?

All help appreciated.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 05-10-2014 @ 11:51 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Zsmart one
Mariner
posted 05-10-14 12:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
Do I really need a touch-screen for Windows 8,1, or can I live with a Mouse?
no a touchscreen is not needed. If you haven't been exposed to Windows 8 you definitely need to come at it with an open mind unlike Windows 7 which was just an advancement of previous windows. If you loved the start menu that is the biggest change even if it isn't really a change but a shift to a screen over a menu.
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 05-10-14 03:26 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
You ought to be able to play most games for the next couple of years on that machine, as well as pretty much anything that's already come out. I'm not sure what Rome II's specs are, but I suspect that the machine you're looking at will be able to handle it at least on medium settings.

As for the whole touch interface, while Windows 8 was primarily made as a touch OS, it works perfectly well with a mouse. The charms menu on the right and the change from a pulled up start menu to a start screen are probably the biggest differences from Windows 7.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 05-10-14 08:27 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
Your build will be similar to mine. Unfortuantely i could not afford i7 processer, but will upgrade eventually. As little as i know of computers- this still seems like a good solid build.

Does this mean that old wise one will be whipping out Rome 2?

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 05-11-14 04:34 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Mayhaps. It doth depend on what coin remains in my sack after the acquisition of this item.

Methanks to all for the rapid and accurate replies and advice.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 05-11-2014 @ 04:35 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames