We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.31 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » Map game?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Map game?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Hannibal the Conqueror
Mariner
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 03-19-14 09:49 AM EDT (US)         
So, how about we have a map game? Or any other kind of forum game for that matter.

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
AuthorReplies:
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 03-19-14 02:37 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31       
A map game based off of Game of Thrones perhaps? Don't know how people would feel about that.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Scenter102
Mariner
posted 03-19-14 02:42 PM EDT (US)     2 / 31       
A Ukraine Russia game may be fun.

[This message has been edited by Scenter102 (edited 03-19-2014 @ 03:13 PM).]

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 03-19-14 06:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 31       
So, how about we have a map game? Or any other kind of forum game for that matter.
Yes. For my part i think we should try either another Ancient, Medieval or WW1 one..
A map game based off of Game of Thrones perhaps? Don't know how people would feel about that.
Would be cool in theory, but would require at least a bit of GoT knowledge for the players
A Ukraine Russia game may be fun.
I think we found out what happened with this when we tried the Syria one..:/

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by Awesome Eagle (edited 03-19-2014 @ 06:04 PM).]

Scenter102
Mariner
posted 03-19-14 06:27 PM EDT (US)     4 / 31       
I think we found out what happened with this when we tried the Syria one..:/
Yeah I guess you're right. Post-nuclear apocalypse sounds fun.
Hannibal the Conqueror
Mariner
posted 03-20-14 03:22 AM EDT (US)     5 / 31       
Yeah I guess you're right. Post-nuclear apocalypse sounds fun.
That's a very interesting setting. But how will the various factions be organized?
Yes. For my part i think we should try either another Ancient, Medieval or WW1 one..
The last serious game we had, the WW1 game, made me learn so much more about Europe pre-WW1 which was an amazing thing really. But in which era should it be?

"I long for Darkness."

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 03-20-14 04:16 AM EDT (US)     6 / 31       
I agree on the WW1 Europe Map game. I was thinking of perhaps a WW2 one or something but i think that would just be too global, and i think i would try to model it somehow on HOI2 with events and stuff...

But i think to run it and make it actually work restrictions would have to be put in- such as budgets and a certain number of moves per month (politically, economically, military)

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Zsmart one
Mariner
posted 03-20-14 03:58 PM EDT (US)     7 / 31       
Yea I think if you do a new map you should try to quantify as much of the information as possible to try and clarify and doubts in the effects of actions. Perhaps a standardized list of numbers too so that there are no objections in how much player X should have. perhaps have a master file of information of what is globally known in the game.

Topic wise how about some form of civil war? say the Normandy invasion, war of the roses, a french battle for the crown, or the warring states period in China? This sets some groundwork by having a clear goal (stabilize the region). while giving multiple paths to victory. say uniting enough support to diplomatically become king or inviting family ties from outside the realm to support your claim. It would be kind of like the Game of thrones idea but with a history to draw upon.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 03-20-14 04:24 PM EDT (US)     8 / 31       
Yea I think if you do a new map you should try to quantify as much of the information as possible to try and clarify and doubts in the effects of actions. Perhaps a standardized list of numbers too so that there are no objections in how much player X should have. perhaps have a master file of information of what is globally known in the game.
That sounds like a plan. Just an example- For a WW2 map game we can say that Germany's military budget is XX Dollers (common currency would be needed i think) and a Division of Tanks will cost XX dollers and X Months to get into service.
Topic wise how about some form of civil war? say the Normandy invasion, war of the roses, a french battle for the crown, or the warring states period in China?
Good idea, although i have very little to no knowledge of these eras.

Zsmart one
Mariner
posted 03-21-14 09:50 AM EDT (US)     9 / 31       
An event where everyone knows only a little about might be ideal so someone who is well read on the topic will not have that much of an advantage at the start while everyone else is figuring out the time period.
Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 03-22-14 03:56 PM EDT (US)     10 / 31       
I agree on the map game, but I think we should avoid a modern setting (the Syrian game stands out as an example). I'm more inclined to participate in a game set in medieval Europe, either during the early or the late Middle Ages...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Zsmart one
Mariner
posted 03-22-14 05:58 PM EDT (US)     11 / 31       
how about like the reformation era? although the information on the period might be iffy.
Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 03-29-14 04:49 PM EDT (US)     12 / 31       
How about instead of a map game, we do a story game? I was thinking of one similar to this sexy one, but instead of starting in the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse, we start as leaders of pre-gunpowder states as it begins to happen. We'd have to deal with the border regions being overrun by people fleeing the zombies, and then the zombies themselves.

We'd need participants as well as a story master, who would control the zombies and give us the effects players actions have.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 04-03-14 09:31 AM EDT (US)     13 / 31       
Ahhhh you dug that up! I want to add more now, I never saw this ending of Liam's.

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

*tegos, -esos, noun, neuter. house.
Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 04-03-14 11:28 AM EDT (US)     14 / 31       
Honestly I think that's the best thread we've had in years lol. I can't think of one off the top of my head that has surpassed that one in level of fun

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 04-03-14 12:45 PM EDT (US)     15 / 31       
A Zombie Apocalypse story game set in the Ancient World? I might be interested

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Excelsior
Mariner
posted 04-28-14 05:48 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31       
I would be interested also, if I could figure out how to find time to post. Maybe there could be a Cretan culture, where I could float in every once and awhile and save the day with Minotaurs?

I just thought I'd add a potential player.

And hey, DU, how's your health buddy? I know last year you had some troubles, glad to see you still up!
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 05-13-14 11:48 PM EDT (US)     17 / 31       
And hey, DU, how's your health buddy? I know last year you had some troubles, glad to see you still up!
Doing great mate. Back to work causing chaos and all that

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 05-14-14 06:54 PM EDT (US)     18 / 31       
So, how many people are interested? Maybe do a 'turn' or whatever, once a week? Battles would be done via saying you march to battle with X, and X can either give battle or refuse, with some penalties if they refuse like lower morale and stuff like that. The game master would decide the outcome at that point, making an update.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 05-14-14 09:51 PM EDT (US)     19 / 31       
So what kind of game/ time period we decide on? Perhaps we should have a proper vote?

I am in- but i will have to wait until i am back from my cruise before fully playing/getting into it. Personally- i would go for either a age of Imperialism or ancient themed one.

Not sure if i had suggested this earlier, but i have an idea for a different kind of map game- A battle game. Basically, it would not be a normal map game but multiple small games with the greater general winning/ triumphing.

Basically i would be the game master and would give two generals/ teams information. The information would be a map something like this:

The map would have positions of respective armies and it would be up to the general to move their armies and decide their strategy with factors such as terrain, morale, etc combining to make a winner. The general/ team would email me the moves or somehow post them without the other player seeing them and i would process them and note the outcome.

We could make it that each day is a hour or so in the battle day, with extra large battles going into night time. Might be something to test/ trial when i get back?

[This message has been edited by Awesome Eagle (edited 05-14-2014 @ 10:00 PM).]

Hannibal the Conqueror
Mariner
posted 05-15-14 06:07 AM EDT (US)     20 / 31       
Awesome, I have a program that can make some very detailed maps - especially for RPGs (like the map game we're gonna do)

It's called Campaign Cartographer 3, and is at 30 euros. I'll do the maps if you guys want, in case we're running something completely ahistorical here.

"I long for Darkness."

Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 05-15-14 04:30 PM EDT (US)     21 / 31       
An amazing idea AE! Perhaps we could even run a small tournament if enough people sign up. I am in, but I'll be able to play after June 25...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 05-15-14 05:18 PM EDT (US)     22 / 31       
Awesome, I have a program that can make some very detailed maps - especially for RPGs (like the map game we're gonna do)

It's called Campaign Cartographer 3, and is at 30 euros. I'll do the maps if you guys want, in case we're running something completely ahistorical here.
Ooo, that could be useful. I would prefer to go ahistorical if i can.
An amazing idea AE! Perhaps we could even run a small tournament if enough people sign up. I am in, but I'll be able to play after June 25...
Thanks Alex. That is a good idea! a tournament would be fun.

Scenter102
Mariner
posted 05-15-14 06:54 PM EDT (US)     23 / 31       
Sounds fun, I'm in.

A DnD type game might be cool too, but that'll require a ton of meta work.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 05-29-14 06:55 AM EDT (US)     24 / 31       
So, time to get my idea sorted (if you want)

So on the map i have up, should all units be shown of the opposing armies? or should some units allow to be hidden (say a max of 500-1000 men per army)?

Also, in terms of real life- in a straight out fight- who wins- a man with a sword or a man with a spear? Each have same skill level and a similar shield?

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 05-29-14 11:14 AM EDT (US)     25 / 31       
Also, in terms of real life- in a straight out fight- who wins- a man with a sword or a man with a spear? Each have same skill level and a similar shield?
That really depends upon numbers, formation, and a whole host of other factions. It might be a good idea to establish some sort of skill/power rating for different types of troops.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames