We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

The Red Lion Tavern
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, Scipii

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.74 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » The Red Lion Tavern » The 'Now watching?' thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:The 'Now watching?' thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 12-27-13 01:56 AM EDT (US)         
The theme of this thread is similar to AE's 'Now Reading?' thread except the question is, 'What tv show/film/anime are you watching or have seen recently?'.

I just saw '47 Ronin' at the theater a few hours ago and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, even though it's an extremely loose adaptation of the original (and far superior) story.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
AuthorReplies:
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 07-10-14 00:55 AM EDT (US)     51 / 74       
About to start watching Borgia: Faith and Fear. I've already seen the Showtime Borgia series and enjoyed it quite a bit so I have high hopes for this one.

I watched the new Transformers the other week. Pretty much everything you expect from Michael Bay (awesome explosions and vfx), but at two hours and forty-five minutes it was too long for my tastes. The ending exhaustion I had when the credits finally started rolling felt like the one I get when I watch Return of the King

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 07-21-14 07:49 PM EDT (US)     52 / 74       
Ahhh Blackadder <3

Just bought Season One of Spin City with Michael J Fox, Hamish and Andy's Euro-Gap Year and Season One of the IT Crowd. Keen to watch them. :)

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 09-10-14 01:53 AM EDT (US)     53 / 74       
Been rewatching HBO's Rome in advance of the release of the Rome II: Emperor Edition next week. Really wish HBO could've given this show as much love as they have to Game of Thrones, but since it's said HBO cut the series short because they were making room in their budget for Game of Thrones I'm genuinely conflicted about which one I'd choose if I was in charge. The history loving side of me cheers for Rome, but the fantasy loving side cheers for Game of Thrones

Alex_the_Bold
Mariner
posted 09-12-14 12:23 PM EDT (US)     54 / 74       
I've been watching History Channel's "Vikings", and even though it is a highly fictional representation of the Scandinavian culture of the time, as well as the character of Ragnar Lodbrok, I somehow enjoy it...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 09-17-14 06:42 PM EDT (US)     55 / 74       
Been watching a some new movies that i got like The Silver Linings Playbook, Thor, Thor 2 and Warm Bodies(which i really recommend).

Also been back to the good stuff and having another run through Friends for the 25th time..

History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
PrinceofMacedon
RTW Ladder Leader
posted 09-18-14 01:36 AM EDT (US)     56 / 74       
I finally finished the 5th season of "Merlin." Fantastic show!

I'm gonna dig into "Legend of Korra" (season 2) next.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 09-23-14 07:09 AM EDT (US)     57 / 74       
Did anyone see that Daniel Radcliffe movie out recently? I thought it was actually OK after being dragged to it.

Side note- hello, Prince. Haven't seen you for ages.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 09-30-14 08:14 PM EDT (US)     58 / 74       
Anyone else seen the movie "A Million Ways to Die in the West"? I got it the other day and loved it. Originally i hadnt heard much good about it but it is great and recommended!

Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 10-17-14 09:33 PM EDT (US)     59 / 74       
Anyone else seen 9th Company (9 Rota?) It's a Russian film about a group of paratroopers that go into Afghanistan. I'm in the middle of it and it's pretty good. I would compare it to Band of Brothers for how they go about the film (initial paratrooper training => fighting ect)

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Ecthelion
Mariner
(id: p90pro)
posted 10-22-14 07:52 PM EDT (US)     60 / 74       
That would certainly beat a show about WW2 Soviet Paratroopers...

"Get in the box."

"Where is my parachute?"

"Get in the box."

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 01-18-15 04:06 PM EDT (US)     61 / 74       
Just watched the Amazon pilot "The Man in the High Castle". Based on the famous novel of the same name by Philip K. Dick, it features a alternate post World War II world where the Axis Powers won and Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan invaded the United States and divided the territory between them save for a small buffer zone. I'm really hoping it gets picked up for a season as the cast, sets and dialogue are exceptional.

General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 01-19-15 06:34 PM EDT (US)     62 / 74       
I'm glad you didn't say anything about the premise

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 01-23-15 11:25 AM EDT (US)     63 / 74       
I just binged Broadchurch, and would highly recommend. David Tennant and Olivia Coleman are really good

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 01-23-15 04:07 PM EDT (US)     64 / 74       
Just watched the Amazon pilot "The Man in the High Castle". Based on the famous novel of the same name by Philip K. Dick, it features a alternate post World War II world where the Axis Powers won and Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan invaded the United States and divided the territory between them save for a small buffer zone. I'm really hoping it gets picked up for a season as the cast, sets and dialogue are exceptional.
Wow, will have to look at this one.

Just watching Bones Season 9 with the Gf. I love this show!

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 02-16-15 02:11 PM EDT (US)     65 / 74       
Saw Kingsman: The Secret Service this past Friday and I was very pleasantly surprised. Wonderful characters, fantastic fights scenes and a story that hangs a lampshade on a fair number of spy movie tropes. 5 out of 5, and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 02-18-15 06:12 AM EDT (US)     66 / 74       
How to Train Your Dragon 2 was immense fun (DON'T JUDGE ME).

• EDORIX •
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
General Sajaru
Commodore
posted 02-18-15 06:12 PM EDT (US)     67 / 74       
I rather enjoyed it as well; for all that it's a "kids" movie, there are more serious things in it as well.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Kilos of Thermon
Mariner
posted 02-25-15 10:43 PM EDT (US)     68 / 74       
Having just watched it recently, I would highly recommend the series "I, Claudius," even if the series is surpassed in detail by the books. It still should fairly be able to retain its status as a well scripted series, and it is fantastically acted (as is to be expected with a cast consisting highly of Shakespearean actors). I'm sure many of you have seen it given the subject matter, but I'd feel unjust if the opportunity to promote it were to pass in such a forum.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaþáttr, #77.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 04-04-15 02:16 AM EDT (US)     69 / 74       
Just finished the first season of "New Girl", and love it. Funny show.

Also, has anyone watched the Disney Hercules movie? It is seriously under-rated and had me in stitches at some points.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 04-19-15 05:36 AM EDT (US)     70 / 74       
I, Claudius is a fantastic show. Derek Jacobi is amazing.

That little show HBO runs has started up again.

[This message has been edited by EnemyofJupitor (edited 04-19-2015 @ 05:36 AM).]

DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 05-15-15 07:20 AM EDT (US)     71 / 74       
Just finished watching Band of Brothers and The Pacific back to back (yay for HBO Now ). Both series once again drove home the point of how horrifying World War Two was, and why I will always consider the men and women who fought and lived through that time to be the Greatest Generation.

Of course I've also been keeping up with the latest season of Game of Thrones. Still annoyed that they killed a character in the show who is still alive and playing a significant role in the books, but that's why they call the show an 'adaptation' and why there's always the "based on 'A Song of Ice and Fire' by George R.R. Martin" reminder near the end of the opening credits

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 05-29-15 06:16 PM EDT (US)     72 / 74       
Band of Brothers is amazing- i actually wore out a copy i had and had to borrow my dad's. The Pacific is good also, although i do enjoy it less then Band of Brothers.

I have been watching a bit of Parks and Recreation lately- and just purchased Season 4 although i wont be able to watch it until after the semester. I cant believe i have never seen this before!

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 10-19-15 04:15 PM EDT (US)     73 / 74       
I know i am probably late to the party with it, but i just watched Generation Kill, and loved it. Utterly amazing, and i was surprised that it didnt attempt to hide the more contemptible aspects of the Iraqi war. Was quite wonderful.

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
posted 02-08-16 10:26 PM EDT (US)     74 / 74       
I have been watching some different stuff lately. My girlfriend likes the disney channel (she is 20), but some of the shows are good- like Girl Meets World, which is a spin off of the old Boy Meets world, but is still pretty good nonetheless.

[This message has been edited by Awesome Eagle (edited 02-08-2016 @ 10:27 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames