Empire: Total War Heaven

Forum Party Guidelines

Here are some general guidelines we advise reading if you plan on coming to the forum parties.

Hosts

Prior to the games starting hosts will be chosen. Normally we'll get two hosts because 12 players seems to have worked out well. If a third host is needed, they will create a game as well.

General things to keep in mind when you're hosting

• Be considerate. Not everyone's computer is as good as yours. If you host, make the money limit and the unit size coincide. If you want a really high money limit do so but make the unit size smaller. If you want a low money limit, you can probably increase the unit size.
  • Password protect the game and don't give it out to people who ask unless you know they're from TWH.

Players:

Yes hosts are players too. General things to keep in mind:

• Arrive on time. If you do not arrive on time, do not expect to get a place in the first game. While you may get a place, do not expect it. We won't wait on you if you're late.
  • If there's a lot of people, join the game with the lower number of people in. Even out the games.
  • Don't leave games! If you don't have the time to play in at least one game, don't bother coming. Be considerate.
  • "Ready Up" quickly. Be considerate. There's a bunch of people waiting on you.
  • Don't worry about the people who are not in games! If we have more than 12 people a staff member will ask someone else to host another game but again if you're late, it's your problem, not ours so don't expect another game to be hosted if you arrived late.
  • Know your computer. If you know you won't be able to run the high spec game a host has created ask him to lower the specs. By trying anyway you're ruining the experience for everyone else.

And last but in no means least

Have fun!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I want forum parties to be as fun as they can be. If you have suggestions please post them.

Ueriah's Guide to Forum Parties:

Note that this was written for forum parties with Rome: Total War but the points here apply for Empire: Total War as well.

Having seen the HG forum games grow from just two people to nearly ten "regulars" and seeing that we are still growing in numbers, I thought I'd post a few points in general about Multiplayer games. Please bear in mind that this isn't pointed towards anyone, but for the newer players who might have been focusing on the all-too-engrossing campaign in single player, there are some things that you should be aware of when you do the multiplayer thing.

The forum game party runs regularly at weekends, starting at 2pm EST (that's 7pm for you Brits and 8pm for the continental europeans)and it usually runs about two hours in length. The password is always TWH (block capitals). I try to make sure I'm free for gaming from 7pm to 9pm since if a player drops out midmatch, it really throws the game dynamic off. I realize that not everyone's schedules can handle two hours of uninterrupted time but if you're thinking about attending a game that's just about to start and you know you might have something to do in ten or fifteen minutes, you might want to pass on that game. Generally games take about 20-30 minutes, sometimes less, sometimes more.

Here's some dos and don'ts.

DO:

• Know How To Communicate! If you hit T you will get options for speaking to everyone, just your team, just your foes, etc. Don't be stuck not knowing how to communicate to your allies!
  • Communicate! The trick to winning multiplayer is strategy. If you have two or three people coordinating attacks and moves, you are usually a lot more effective then just attacking the guy in front of you.
  • Understand the MP aspect! That means when you are done selecting your troops, know enough to hit the Start Battle button. That means you know that the button turns grey when that player is done with troop selection and that you have to click "Start Deployment".

DON'T:

• Don't play if you don't have enough time for a game! There will always be times when players have things happen out of their control, ie. computer crashes, something important coming up, etc, but do try to make sure if you are joining a game that you have time for at least a game.
  • Don't be an ass! We've never had a problem with this yet, which is one of the advantages of being involved in a gaming community like the forums here where people know one another, as opposed to just joining games. Don't be an ass just means be at least civil to people. Remember it's only a game, have sportsmanship, yadda yadda yadda. We've never had a problem with this one yet, which is one of the reasons I look forward to them.
  • Don't be inflexible! Understand that factions are first come, first serve. Be willing to try out things that maybe you otherwise would not be willing to try, and be willing to try other peoples' ideas as well as your own.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional