We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.178 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » If You Could Name Ships, What Would You Call Your Best?
Bottom
Topic Subject:If You Could Name Ships, What Would You Call Your Best?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Gallowglass
Mariner
posted 06-15-08 03:51 PM EDT (US)         

Firstly, thanks to Legion of Hell for suggesting this thread. I couldn't wait to see it up. All credit for it is his, I can't claim any.

Call this speculation of the highest order, but I reckon for some random reason you'll be able to name ships in Empire Total War.

And so this forum isn't filled with threads on mere speculation and a handful of teasers: if my guess is right, what would you call your ships?

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
AuthorReplies:
sibee20
Mariner
posted 07-28-08 07:43 AM EDT (US)     51 / 178       
The USS Flying Weasel. i dont know why, first thing that came to mind lol. or HMS Flying Weasel, whatever sounds cooler.

"Anything worth living for is worth fighting for, and anthing worth fighting for is worth living for."
Pontus AAR -discontinued
Macedonian AAR-discontinued

[This message has been edited by sibee20 (edited 07-28-2008 @ 07:45 AM).]

Trottski
Mariner
posted 07-28-08 10:28 AM EDT (US)     52 / 178       
HMS Hellfire
HMS Queen Anne's Revenge
HMS Black Pearl
HMS Flying Dutchman
HMS Endeavour

(Yes I like Pirates of the Carribbean)

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE
Better yet. Syria is creating a chemical weapon who's only known antidote is foreskin-Mebert
Real men do stuff to each other...Share needles, tickle scrotums, and take photos-Jax
Peace & Chicken Grease
Trottski
Headmaster
Mariner
posted 07-29-08 02:12 PM EDT (US)     53 / 178       
USS Enterprise, is there any better name?
Gallowglass
Mariner
posted 07-29-08 03:42 PM EDT (US)     54 / 178       

I'd personally call mine HMS Flying Corgi. It rolls off of the tongue, doesn't it?

The more this thread goes on, the more I think the developers will put a naming ship or army thing into the game.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Guy Fawkes
Mariner
posted 07-31-08 03:26 PM EDT (US)     55 / 178       
Well, I think I'd be rather spoilt for choice.

First up, I might name them after some classical heroes, so H.M.S. Neptune , H.M.S. Ulysses , etc.

I might name one after whoever's monarch at the time the game starts, thus the H.M.S. Queen Anne or whatever.

Or I might name some after famous people/battles (yes, I know most of these hadn't been born/happened when the game starts, but who cares?): H.M.S. Nelson , H.M.S. Howe , H.M.S. Gravelines , H.M.S. Cape St. Vincent , and so on.

I might name 'em after real ships: H.M.S. Dreadnought , H.M.S. Temeraire , etc.

Or I might give them "miscellaneous" names: H.M.S. Justice , H.M.S. Fortitude , H.M.S. Terror .

In case you're wondering how I thought of all these names, the answer is that I have way too much time on my hands .

"[President Warren G. Harding's speeches] leave the impression of an army of pompous phrases moving over the landscape in search of an idea; sometimes, these meandering words actually capture a straggling thought, and bear it triumphantly, a prisoner in their midst, until it dies of servitude and over-work." -- William McAdoo
"He cannot be great, who has ceased to be virtuous." -- Dr. Johnson
Alexander332
Mariner
posted 07-31-08 05:14 PM EDT (US)     56 / 178       
The H.M.S. Flotsam
Primo
Mariner
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 07-31-08 09:21 PM EDT (US)     57 / 178       
I can't believe nobody went for HMS Victory yet.

"Yes Nelson, you'll get to defeat the French at Trafalgar again."
"Yay!"
"And you'll get to bleed to death again too."
"Aw shit. Ah well, you can't always get the the good things in life, but this time, I want a reporter there so nobody can claim I turned homosexual in the last moments of my life!"

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
Gallowglass
Mariner
posted 08-01-08 06:11 AM EDT (US)     58 / 178       
RNAS Victory?

People here are more original, Primo

What we should do here, to stop this dissolving into a spam thread or something, choose five names for ships and then vote for our favourite or something. Turn it into a bit of an unofficial competition?

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b

[This message has been edited by Gallowglass (edited 08-01-2008 @ 06:17 AM).]

Primo
Mariner
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 08-01-08 08:58 AM EDT (US)     59 / 178       
I know people are more original, but to avoid the obvious...

HMS Dumnorium.
I think it's more likely that ships will have names assigned to them by the game (the names depending on what faction you are), since we've never had the option to name things (of course with the new option of starting colony settlements that might change anyway). But even if the game did it, you could still edit game files to get a set of names you wanted.
You could rename cities in BI.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460

[This message has been edited by Primo (edited 08-01-2008 @ 08:59 AM).]

Guy Fawkes
Mariner
posted 08-02-08 03:56 AM EDT (US)     60 / 178       
"You could rename cities in BI."
Really? How?

"[President Warren G. Harding's speeches] leave the impression of an army of pompous phrases moving over the landscape in search of an idea; sometimes, these meandering words actually capture a straggling thought, and bear it triumphantly, a prisoner in their midst, until it dies of servitude and over-work." -- William McAdoo
"He cannot be great, who has ceased to be virtuous." -- Dr. Johnson
Andalus
Mariner
posted 08-02-08 11:59 AM EDT (US)     61 / 178       
Open up the city screen, and right-click (Left-click?) on the city name, and change it. It also works in any mod using the BI exe.
Danilh
Mariner
posted 08-02-08 02:27 PM EDT (US)     62 / 178       
You could do it in RTW too, just go to the preferences file in the preferences folder in your RTW directory, and go to the last line , which should be edit_settlement_names and change the value to TRUE.
LordTaeglan
Mariner
posted 08-02-08 05:07 PM EDT (US)     63 / 178       
The Crystalstar
The Darkstar
The Infinity Storm
Spirit Of Fire

Nobody knows exactly where the entity known as Stephen Hill came from. He was found fully formed at the height of a storm and is believed to have come to Earth from a distant world where human qualities of fashion and beauty did not exist, which explains a lot. Constructed mostly of hatred and contempt, wrapped up in a pathetic human shell, Stephen comes fully equipped with his Antarian death coat, his Pen of Rage +2, and a variety of useful headgear
Enkmaster
Mariner
posted 08-02-08 11:39 PM EDT (US)     64 / 178       
HMS:/Woody
HMS:/Great Willy
HMS:/Distraction

HaHa Yaa.

[This message has been edited by Enkmaster (edited 08-02-2008 @ 11:40 PM).]

SpartanOfShadowz
Mariner
posted 08-03-08 12:45 PM EDT (US)     65 / 178       
Aegis class Princess

The blood we spill today is just the beginning
Proud to be American/Polish/Irish/Welsh
Empire Total War Heaven : March 3rd, 2009 US
Call of Duty 4/Call of Duty WAW/Halo 3 Beta tester
No need to spell my name, just call me Ben!
Conqueror Matt
Mariner
posted 08-05-08 04:48 PM EDT (US)     66 / 178       
I'd use the names of the Titans in EVE Online

Levaithan
Erebus
Ragnarok

After that I'd use mythical creatures

Griffon
Pegasus
Kraken
Dragon
Minotaur

[This message has been edited by Conqueror Matt (edited 08-05-2008 @ 04:54 PM).]

Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 08-14-08 06:43 PM EDT (US)     67 / 178       
I'll call mine HMS **** OFF.

No by-passing the swear filter. Next time will result in an official warning. - Kor

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.

[This message has been edited by Kor (edited 08-17-2008 @ 09:33 AM).]

HereticPope
Mariner
posted 08-15-08 01:43 AM EDT (US)     68 / 178       
Definately the USS Incorruptible or the USS Defiance.

EDIT -

BEST NAME EVER - USS Owngasm

Was USS even around back then? 0.o

[This message has been edited by HereticPope (edited 08-15-2008 @ 01:44 AM).]

Ecthelion
Mariner
(id: p90pro)
posted 08-15-08 02:52 AM EDT (US)     69 / 178       
I guess so, if he game goes to 1775.

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
zlack
Mariner
posted 08-15-08 04:38 AM EDT (US)     70 / 178       
HMS ... I'll think of something
HMS ... I'll get back to you on that one
HMS ... how does next year sound?
HMS ... our ship namer has resigned from his position

This is not a signature.
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 08-17-08 09:30 AM EDT (US)     71 / 178       
HMS I've-shagged-your-mother-so-what-are-you-going-to-do-about-it.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
Chalupa Batman
Centurion
(id: ccsantos)
posted 08-18-08 01:34 AM EDT (US)     72 / 178       
Perseverance

As-Salaam-Alaikum
el_bandito
Mariner
posted 08-19-08 00:59 AM EDT (US)     73 / 178       
Lair of Thousand Wyrms.--my best name

Michael Jackson
Emperor Alexander
Mariner
(id: Alex Coles)
posted 08-19-08 01:09 PM EDT (US)     74 / 178       
How about HMS My ****

I mean, if there's a navy battle, one side might say "We're taking heavy fire from my ****!". Or "My ~**** is putting up stiff resistance!". Oh, that last one was funny.

Edited swear filter violations - Gaius

"...there's a difference between offering constructive criticism and going out of your way to be a dick." - Aro

[This message has been edited by Gaius Colinius (edited 08-19-2008 @ 05:51 PM).]

Bulba Khan
Mariner
(id: stormer)
posted 08-19-08 02:55 PM EDT (US)     75 / 178       
hey language,
I would call mine MS My ship

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
Emperor Alexander
Mariner
posted 08-19-08 03:06 PM EDT (US)     76 / 178       
Uhm, who is this "language" person you speak of? If you're referring to my post then I astericked it all up, so the faint hearted wouldn't pass out from my disgusting humour

"...there's a difference between offering constructive criticism and going out of your way to be a dick." - Aro
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08-19-08 05:50 PM EDT (US)     77 / 178       
Err...Alex. Do read our rules please. There are certain words that the forums will automatically censor and you must not bypass that censor. Okay?
Profanities

You may not use profanity or bypass the software-based censor. In addition to words included in the censor list, sexual remarks and slang may be considered profane when used in certain contexts.

A word about what is considered to be bypassing the software-based censor: Anything done to avoid the default *'s provided by the censor is considered to be a bypass of the censor. For example, if the word “angle” was in the censor (it is not), then all of the following are considered a bypass of the censor and thus in violation of the CoC:

* A****
* ang1e, angl3
* anglë, añgle
* a n g l e
* Angle
* angle
* (links to image containing the word “angle” used in a demeaning context)

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Emperor Alexander
Mariner
posted 08-19-08 06:42 PM EDT (US)     78 / 178       
My bad. However, care to explain the problem in revealing the first letter?

Bulba Khan
Mariner
posted 08-19-08 07:00 PM EDT (US)     79 / 178       
I was talking about LOH.

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
Emperor Alexander
Mariner
posted 08-19-08 08:24 PM EDT (US)     80 / 178       
"My Ship". Stormer, you are so boring

Bulba Khan
Mariner
posted 08-20-08 01:47 AM EDT (US)     81 / 178       
Well, It is MY ship isn't it?, or are you trying to steal it, oh yeah that's one of the feature of ETW, in Naval battle if the enemy is demoralised, you could capture his/her ship and turn it against thier former owners, but there might be assimilation time, you know like in RON.

Palatine warrior
Mariner
posted 02-01-09 01:56 PM EDT (US)     82 / 178       
How about these ones:
HMS P4wnage
HMS Intimidating-Name-Pending
HMS Snowball
HMS Terrorist Situation
HMS Cowboy
HMS UP YOURS BITCH

By the way Gallow, RNAS= Royal Naval Air Service.

I'm not playing all the wrong notes. I'm playing all the right notes. But not
nessescarily in the right order.- Eric Morcambe.
I have the body of a GOD!- Buddha...
www.Nottinghamrugby.co.uk
They have sown the wind, now they will reap the whirlwind.- Arthur "bomber" Harris.
Ventory
Mariner
posted 02-01-09 02:07 PM EDT (US)     83 / 178       
Patron, Russian for Bullet.
NapoleonIII
Mariner
posted 02-01-09 02:37 PM EDT (US)     84 / 178       
Napoleon III.
Ibuprofen Redux
Mariner
posted 02-01-09 03:47 PM EDT (US)     85 / 178       
@ Andalus fron June, concerning ship prefixes:

Many navies don't use ship prefixes, and never have. The French Navy, for instance, has never used prefixes. The Germans currently don't although the German Empire used SMS (Seiner Majestät Schiff) - but I'm not sure if the Prussian Navy used this prefix.

Interestingly, in the US Navy ships used to have prefixes based on what sort of ships they were - for example, USF for "United States Frigate".

"...angry men must also be strong, if they would achieve their purpose."
-Livy
Ventory
Mariner
posted 02-01-09 04:00 PM EDT (US)     86 / 178       
Russians didn't use them niether
Catabre
BFME2H Replay Reviewer - Library Guildsman
posted 02-02-09 10:20 AM EDT (US)     87 / 178       
I'd call my ship Unsinkable III.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
Boetje
Mariner
posted 02-02-09 03:22 PM EDT (US)     88 / 178       
no: "TiS ShiP iS PUrE pWNAge OmG"

cool ey?

to be serious, anything with batavian and republic in it will be a good name

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
Ventory
Mariner
posted 02-02-09 05:12 PM EDT (US)     89 / 178       
Batavian Republic

IS that a good name?
Woolagaroo
Mariner
posted 02-02-09 11:33 PM EDT (US)     90 / 178       
Under my guide, the German (i.e. Prussian) Navy will be small but formidable, with heroic Germanic names like SMS Barbarossa and SMS Siegfried.
By the way, Ventory, патрон (patron) is not the Russian word for bullet. It does mean a socket or cartridge, which I suppose could create some confusion. However, the rifle cartridge was not introduced until the nineteenth century. The much more appropriate word for bullet would be пуля (pulya).

Deutschland erwartet, dass jeder Mann seine Pflicht tun wird.
Россия ожидает, что каждый исполнит свой долг.
el_bandito
Mariner
posted 02-03-09 00:11 AM EDT (US)     91 / 178       
"Emperor of the East" Another ship name I'm gonna give.

"Warlord of the West" The sister ship's name.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 02-03-2009 @ 00:12 AM).]

LordTaeglan
Mariner
posted 02-03-09 11:49 AM EDT (US)     92 / 178       
I'm definately having a fleet named after confectionary:
HMS Galaxy
HMS Milky Way
HMS Dairy Milk
HMS Malteser
HMS Fruit Pastille.

Nobody knows exactly where the entity known as Stephen Hill came from. He was found fully formed at the height of a storm and is believed to have come to Earth from a distant world where human qualities of fashion and beauty did not exist, which explains a lot. Constructed mostly of hatred and contempt, wrapped up in a pathetic human shell, Stephen comes fully equipped with his Antarian death coat, his Pen of Rage +2, and a variety of useful headgear
Hunterufus
Mariner
posted 02-03-09 03:24 PM EDT (US)     93 / 178       
lol Sloop, HMS 'Unsinkable'

Baggies great escape!

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Bender, be careful! That's the ship's diamond filament tether. It's unbreakable.
Bender: Then why do I have to be careful?
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: It belonged to my Grandmother.
Palatine warrior
Mariner
posted 02-03-09 04:55 PM EDT (US)     94 / 178       
Actually, I can imagine Sloops being good ships for hit-and-run tactics, they are very fast so they, if used correctly could be unsinkable. =)
Sorry for being pedantic but it is my opinion on Sloops.

I'm not playing all the wrong notes. I'm playing all the right notes. But not
nessescarily in the right order.- Eric Morcambe.
I have the body of a GOD!- Buddha...
www.Nottinghamrugby.co.uk
They have sown the wind, now they will reap the whirlwind.- Arthur "bomber" Harris.
Wilhelm Vaste
Mariner
posted 02-03-09 07:36 PM EDT (US)     95 / 178       
Surely there is only one name for a ship

The USS Chuck Norris - the only ship needed to rule the waves

Veni, Vidi, Vici

A Greeks women never buy a rabbit withouit the head, in fear that it is a cat.

Emperor of The Holy Roman Empire
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 02-04-09 11:07 AM EDT (US)     96 / 178       
More like HMS Cliche

HMS Optimism, Endeavor, Selfless and, of course, Jupitor, will find themselves into my navy, I think.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
mainhunter
Mariner
posted 02-14-09 11:22 AM EDT (US)     97 / 178       
As a German/Prussian player:

KMS Bismark, Tirpitz, Seydlitz, Moltke, Königsberg, Wilhelm II., Ludendorf, Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, Hindenburg, Blücher, Land/Town names: Königsberg, Hessen, Bayern, Sachsen, Preußen, ect.

Name of germanic gods: Wotan, Thor/Donar, Odin....

Ships of the line have to have bad a55 names...
Ventory
Mariner
posted 02-14-09 11:33 AM EDT (US)     98 / 178       
Gotcha Woolgaroo,

a whole fleet of Pulyee (plural)
Woolagaroo
Mariner
posted 02-14-09 12:44 PM EDT (US)     99 / 178       
Uhh ... interesting ship names. Very historic (although most of these names had no meaning in the eighteenth century). Personally, I would steer clear of ship names with links to National Socialism, but I guess it is nice to see a fellow Prussian/German enthusiast.
Ventory, it was no problem. Do you speak Russian (you seem like quite the enthusiast)? Personally, when I play my Russian campaign (which I think will be my second campaign), I plan to name my ships all after Russian cities or monarchs.

Deutschland erwartet, dass jeder Mann seine Pflicht tun wird.
Россия ожидает, что каждый исполнит свой долг.
Nimcenzo
Mariner
posted 02-14-09 06:48 PM EDT (US)     100 / 178       
Once you name your ship or whatever else you can name, can you rename them again or are you stuck with the name you give them?

"Chuck Norris doesn't know where you live, but he knows where you will die"
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames