We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.54 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » New Gameplay Movie of Naval Warfare
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Gameplay Movie of Naval Warfare
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Intrepid C I F
VIP
posted 08-13-08 10:33 AM EDT (US)         
If you look around we have released a movie of gameplay footage of the naval battles for Empire.

Enjoy.

Edit by Gaius
You can also view the trailer here on our Youtube channel.

Intrepid C I F ~ C.A Staff

http://www.totalwar.com

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

[This message has been edited by Gaius Colinius (edited 08-19-2008 @ 06:06 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08-13-08 11:13 AM EDT (US)     1 / 54       
Great! It looks absolutely sweet!

Hussarknight
sibee20
Mariner
posted 08-13-08 11:17 AM EDT (US)     2 / 54       
awesomeness!

"Anything worth living for is worth fighting for, and anthing worth fighting for is worth living for."
Pontus AAR -discontinued
Macedonian AAR-discontinued
Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 08-13-08 11:17 AM EDT (US)     3 / 54       
Thanks a lot for pointing this out, Intrepid! I've newsied it. For those who can't be bothered to check out the frontpage, you can view the video here.
Enjoy!

I must say, I'm very much impressed by both the water and the ships/units. The effects, such as explosions, waves, cannonball impacts, etc, look spectacular. Can't wait to play!

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 08-13-08 11:52 AM EDT (US)     4 / 54       
Nice! I noticed that the ships have names. Will we be able to name our own ships?

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
Andalus
Mariner
posted 08-13-08 01:04 PM EDT (US)     5 / 54       
Awesome!

My computer just gave a little sigh and jumped off the desk...
LordTaeglan
Mariner
posted 08-13-08 01:08 PM EDT (US)     6 / 54       
I'm getting that whatever my father says!

Nobody knows exactly where the entity known as Stephen Hill came from. He was found fully formed at the height of a storm and is believed to have come to Earth from a distant world where human qualities of fashion and beauty did not exist, which explains a lot. Constructed mostly of hatred and contempt, wrapped up in a pathetic human shell, Stephen comes fully equipped with his Antarian death coat, his Pen of Rage +2, and a variety of useful headgear
Smileyman007
Mariner
posted 08-13-08 01:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 54       
"Jaw dropping" only begins to cover it.

Well done! I cannot wait to play this game!

No, I'm not being sarcastic.
CaesarVincens
Mariner
posted 08-13-08 02:23 PM EDT (US)     8 / 54       
Awesome!

My computer just gave a little sigh and jumped off the desk...
Mine hung itself by its power cord...

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
SubRosa
Mariner
posted 08-13-08 04:49 PM EDT (US)     9 / 54       
Utterly fantastic! The night battle was especially breathtaking, seeing all the gun ports lighting up with every shot fired, going down the length of the ship.

Horatio Hornblower meets Total War!

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 08-13-2008 @ 04:50 PM).]

Wolfpanzee
Mariner
posted 08-13-08 05:42 PM EDT (US)     10 / 54       
Awesome!

So uh...who's going to have to buy a new computer in the next 6 months?

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his-George Patton
You can get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone-Al Capone
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo-H.G. Wells
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity-Karl Marx
Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 08-13-08 05:55 PM EDT (US)     11 / 54       
*raises hand*

Actually, I should have bought a new pc for M2TW. I run it at almost minimum settings.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.

[This message has been edited by Kor (edited 08-13-2008 @ 05:56 PM).]

Son_of_the_King
Mariner
posted 08-13-08 05:57 PM EDT (US)     12 / 54       
I might try and get enough money to do so. That looked amazing. Although I hope the control will be better than it was in Imperial Glory.

Exilian Patrician
| SotK |

Valour is the contempt of death and pain. - Tacitus
Bohemond I
Mariner
posted 08-13-08 06:43 PM EDT (US)     13 / 54       
Holy crap that looks amazing! I wonder if pirates will play a large part in Empire:Total War? Anyway i too unfortunately will probably have to get a new computer becaus when i first got M2TW id did not work and i had to do a bunh of shit to my computer
CaesarVincens
Mariner
posted 08-13-08 06:44 PM EDT (US)     14 / 54       
I'll probably need a new graphics card at the least.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08-13-08 07:55 PM EDT (US)     15 / 54       
For some reason I'm not getting sound on the IGN website so I'm downloading it. Thank heavens for fast net connections!

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08-13-08 08:04 PM EDT (US)     16 / 54       
Well holy god. That is amazing. I love how they have elements of the classic TW interface blended into what is a remarkably different engine.
And the broadsides!!!

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

General_II
Mariner
posted 08-14-08 00:13 AM EDT (US)     17 / 54       
I'm happy to see land in the distance, pure sea maps get plain after awhile. Top notch naval warfare.
zlack
Mariner
posted 08-14-08 04:27 AM EDT (US)     18 / 54       
*screams because the wait is 6 months*

I'm lost for words. The graphics are amazing, even though I got a new hi-spec PC about a year ago I'm having doubts about whether it can handle it.

WHY CAN'T IT BE OUT NOW????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Anyone else have the problem with the vid, no sound and stopped every 3 seconds?

This is not a signature.

[This message has been edited by zlack (edited 08-14-2008 @ 06:00 AM).]

Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 08-14-08 10:42 AM EDT (US)     19 / 54       
Wow. The way those cannons tear planks of wood off the target ships was awesome.

Pleased to see it is 1/5, can't wait for the others!

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
SubRosa
Mariner
posted 08-14-08 09:37 PM EDT (US)     20 / 54       
Thank goodness the company I work for will loan employees up to 2,000 interest free in order to buy a home computer. I wonder what Alienware has for 2k?
Smileyman007
Mariner
posted 08-14-08 10:22 PM EDT (US)     21 / 54       
I wonder what Alienware has for 2k?
Build it yourself and you can make a pretty darn good machine for $2000. In February I built the following for about $1700:

3.0 Ghz Intel Core2 Duo
motherboard (I forget make/model)
4 Gigs of DDR2 800 RAM
GeForce 8800 GT
SoundBlaster X-Fi soundcard
300 Gig HDD (10,000 RPMs)
standard DVD/CD drive
case & power supply
22 inch monitor
Windows Vista and Microsoft Office

Assuming you don't need a new monitor or keyboard or mouse and can reuse your old HDD, DVD/CD drive, and sound card, then you can probably get something pretty sweet for $2000. Probably top of the line motherboard with top of the line dual-core (or possibly even quad), lots of high quality RAM, and top of the line video card.

I checked Dell's website and I would have had to pay about $2200 for something comparable. I highly recommend building your own. Or getting a nerdy friend to do it for you.

[This message has been edited by Smileyman007 (edited 08-14-2008 @ 10:24 PM).]

Ubernoober
Mariner
posted 08-14-08 10:32 PM EDT (US)     22 / 54       
I laughed when I saw that crewman go flying. Am I a bad person? Its not 6 months; its only 5 months, 21 days, 4 hours, 3 minutes and 27 seconds. We might get a demo to drool over in the next 3 months or so.

It is not enough that I succeed, but my enemies must fail.

I came, I saw, and was crushed.

Mongols? Time for a strategic retreat to the Atlantic.
Trottski
Mariner
posted 08-15-08 07:04 AM EDT (US)     23 / 54       
Wow that's some good meth. Or that video was just good.

BAD SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE
Better yet. Syria is creating a chemical weapon who's only known antidote is foreskin-Mebert
Real men do stuff to each other...Share needles, tickle scrotums, and take photos-Jax
Peace & Chicken Grease
Trottski
Ischenous
Mariner
posted 08-15-08 11:16 AM EDT (US)     24 / 54       
Me too. I am slowly saving up money for a new one. I have about £300 right now. I need more now!

Plus the video is very cool.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
HereticPope
Mariner
posted 08-15-08 12:39 PM EDT (US)     25 / 54       
I have $700 (USD) saved up so far, I'm hoping to get another few hundred by the time it comes out so I can get a real comp.
Bulba Khan
Mariner
(id: stormer)
posted 08-16-08 06:24 PM EDT (US)     26 / 54       
I would love to see somebody do an AAR on ETW.

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
impspy
Mariner
posted 08-16-08 06:59 PM EDT (US)     27 / 54       
*picks up Computer and smashes it with a sledge hammer*

dang I need a new computer. I can just see ETW trying to run off my current one, it can barely play m2tw at the lowest settings.

"He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword..." Matt 26,52b
"Viva Christo Rey!" Miguel Pro, and numerous other Catholics who were martyred for their faith in Spain and Mexico in the early 20th century.
Winner of the 2008 TWH Seraph elections.
Unchallenged master of EAW Heaven
Ah, but for a return to Christendom, darn Reformation.
SubRosa
Mariner
posted 08-16-08 07:58 PM EDT (US)     28 / 54       
Build it yourself and you can make a pretty darn good machine for $2000. In February I built the following for about $1700:

3.0 Ghz Intel Core2 Duo
motherboard (I forget make/model)
4 Gigs of DDR2 800 RAM
GeForce 8800 GT
SoundBlaster X-Fi soundcard
300 Gig HDD (10,000 RPMs)
standard DVD/CD drive
case & power supply
22 inch monitor
Windows Vista and Microsoft Office
That is one impressive box. Although I would not touch Vista with a 15 foot sarissa. I went to Alienware and built myself a box. It came out to 5k. So I think I will just build myself another box instead. If I need to.
Chalupa Batman
Centurion
(id: ccsantos)
posted 08-16-08 07:59 PM EDT (US)     29 / 54       
Thanks for the link :/

I save everyone else by putting a link in my sig.

As-Salaam-Alaikum

[This message has been edited by Santos I (edited 08-16-2008 @ 08:10 PM).]

Smileyman007
Mariner
posted 08-17-08 04:18 AM EDT (US)     30 / 54       
That is one impressive box.
Crysis on max settings brutalizes my machine, so it's not THAT great. But it's still my baby.
Although I would not touch Vista with a 15 foot sarissa.
I can understand that. I had similar feelings, but I wanted DirectX 10 and Media Center to sync up to my Xbox 360.

But I will say that my biggest beefs with Vista were fixed with SP1 (namely hangs when Windows boots, generally slow performance, and issues with wireless connectivity). Since I got SP1 it's been pretty great. Virtualization can be a pain, especially when M2TW's folders are spread out across Program Files and the Virtual Store...but it's not too bad.

Back on topic: Yeah, Empire looks cool. And by cool I mean totally sweet.

Wolfpanzee
Mariner
posted 08-17-08 05:41 AM EDT (US)     31 / 54       
Although I would not touch Vista with a 15 foot sarissa.
Yes, I imagine that touching a computer with a sarissa would damage it, the end being pointy and all. Waste of money that is.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his-George Patton
You can get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone-Al Capone
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo-H.G. Wells
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity-Karl Marx
Bulba Khan
Mariner
(id: stormer)
posted 08-17-08 06:49 AM EDT (US)     32 / 54       
I thought a Sarissa was a 24-footer

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
Ubernoober
Mariner
posted 08-17-08 07:17 PM EDT (US)     33 / 54       
Anybody else spot the steam ship?

It is not enough that I succeed, but my enemies must fail.

I came, I saw, and was crushed.

Mongols? Time for a strategic retreat to the Atlantic.
Smileyman007
Mariner
posted 08-17-08 09:55 PM EDT (US)     34 / 54       
Anybody else spot the steam ship?
Yep.

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08-19-08 05:57 PM EDT (US)     35 / 54       
I'm currently uploading this to our Youtube channel (with kind permission of CA) and will add the link to the OP when it is done.

-Love Gaius

Intrepid C I F
VIP
posted 08-21-08 10:12 AM EDT (US)     36 / 54       
Glad you enjoyed it guys. As it says at the beginning 4 more to come. Will keep you posted.

Now you might get an idea of how I felt when I saw the naval battles working for the first time.

Some of you will remember me saying this

"Naval battles...huh..huhhhurrr...mmmmm. Sorry got carried away."

http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=22,6600,,10

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
SubRosa
Mariner
posted 08-21-08 11:52 AM EDT (US)     37 / 54       
Enjoyed it is an understatement. Based on just the naval battles alone, I cannot wait to buy this game! When you throw in all the other Total War goodness, well, it is gamer paradise.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 08-21-08 04:33 PM EDT (US)     38 / 54       
Bloody hell. CA's completly made a mockery of any bar a developer's put up there. Interesting music, too- I assume that's going to be a marching track in-game?

Will we get different music for land and sea, out of curiosity?

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Gallowglass
Mariner
posted 08-24-08 06:08 PM EDT (US)     39 / 54       
little sigh and jumped off the desk...
Mine done cartwheels then ran around a hamster wheel in a hamster cage when I don't even have a hamster.

If we get to name our own ships, I won't know what to call mine. One for each clan...be an expensive fleet.
I hope, too, that naval tactics are very different from land ones. The Highland Charge at sea is not something I think I could pull off without...mixed success at best.

To put the description of that naval video into words:

A stalwart fleet of oak and rigging, wet mast, drenched sails, slicing the waters through the mists to the welcoming hand of watery oblivion.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b

[This message has been edited by Gallowglass (edited 08-24-2008 @ 06:12 PM).]

Intrepid C I F
VIP
posted 12-31-08 04:50 AM EDT (US)     40 / 54       
You can name your ships.
And your land units

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 12-31-08 06:02 AM EDT (US)     41 / 54       
Awesome Intrepid. I'm newsing that.

Thanks for popping in. Apologies for the thread move email you got but it's an automated email that gets sent out whenever a thread is moved and as you may have noticed, we have a brand new site with forums here so a bit of housekeeping is required!

-Love Gaius

Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 12-31-08 06:06 AM EDT (US)     42 / 54       
That's great! I know a lot of people (including me) have hoped that it'd be possible to rename ships. A very nice feature to add to the game.

btw, it's nice to see you here again Intrepid.

Hussarknight
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 12-31-08 06:39 AM EDT (US)     43 / 54       
Finally I can name my ship HMS Rustbucket or better still Gaius can call his ship HMS Grammaticus.

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
Ischenous
Mariner
posted 12-31-08 10:46 AM EDT (US)     44 / 54       
LoH is going to stop asking his big question now. Great news.

Calling all new people. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION before asking a question. Thank you.
Alert the APOCOLYPSE is coming!!!!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM(Itcame)
"TWH Guild Award (Best Duo/Trio) -Ischenous/IJ"- Tryhard. Why he chose that nomination, I don't know...
Gallowglass
Mariner
posted 12-31-08 12:13 PM EDT (US)     45 / 54       

Yay! It wasn't a pipe-dream!

I'm going to call my ship HMS Duzzantpey, then I'm going to get it sunk just to prove its name was accurate. Then I'm going to make one called...wait for it...Titanic.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
As_Saffah
Scenario Reviewer
posted 12-31-08 03:42 PM EDT (US)     46 / 54       
Nice necro LoH. But yeah, oh man the naval warfare trailer is sexy. This is what AOE3 should have been like but without the lag.

Gogo USS Crackerbox

I suspect I won't have the graphics to run it anyway so meh

Crunkatog on ESO
Bart331 balance suggestion: aztec: remove civ
Voltiguer: Ender, Sioux in 1.04 will be a top civ, no matter how many layers of Sioux goggles you put on
schildpad on Elephants: ...their mansabdar unit sucks so hard it looks like a black hole
Crunkatog on Steam.
LordTaeglan
Mariner
posted 01-01-09 04:12 AM EDT (US)     47 / 54       
I think my first ship shall be called the Suicidal Insanity. I'm definitely calling annother the HMS Malteser. I envisage a whole fleet of ships named after confectionary.

Nobody knows exactly where the entity known as Stephen Hill came from. He was found fully formed at the height of a storm and is believed to have come to Earth from a distant world where human qualities of fashion and beauty did not exist, which explains a lot. Constructed mostly of hatred and contempt, wrapped up in a pathetic human shell, Stephen comes fully equipped with his Antarian death coat, his Pen of Rage +2, and a variety of useful headgear
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 01-01-09 06:33 AM EDT (US)     48 / 54       
Sea and land units?

That's just plain awesome. Thanks

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 01-01-09 06:11 PM EDT (US)     49 / 54       
Praise the Gods! We get to name our men! Cheesy 17th century movie references here I come!

Actually it was originally called just Heaven, but then God sold the naming rights to Microsoft, so.... -GoForGoldenJarls

Astor: “Churchill, if you were my husband, I’d put poison in your coffee.”
Churchill: “Madam, if you were my wife, I’d drink it.”
Ecthelion
Mariner
(id: p90pro)
posted 01-02-09 04:21 PM EDT (US)     50 / 54       
I would recomend reading The Influence of Sea Power on history by Alfred Mahan. It's chock full of succesful strategies used in the ETW era. Also playing a little bit of Age of Sail 2.

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames