Were sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion » Bayonet Article Question
Bottom
Topic Subject:Bayonet Article Question
webstral
Mariner
posted 08-24-13 08:38 PM EDT (US)         
FM, I've just read your article on bayonets all the way through for the first time. Great work! You've answered many of my questions. One nagging question remains: are ring bayonet fixed automatically throughout the course of the battle? I have been operating under the assumption that the bayonets were fixed only when I toggle the Melee button. However, I have no evidence to back that assumption.

The musket is for fixing and softening the enemy. The bayonet is for destroying him.
AuthorReplies:
Pitt
Commodore
posted 08-25-13 00:07 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Ring (and socket) bayonets are permanently attached.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
webstral
Mariner
posted 08-27-13 01:23 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
Having written that note, I finally looked at my infantry close up for the first time. There the bayonets were, in all their glory. It makes no damned sense at all, but then the game is full of unexpected items.

The musket is for fixing and softening the enemy. The bayonet is for destroying him.
Francis Marion
Mariner
posted 08-28-13 04:47 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
I am quite glad to hear that my findings were of use to you, Webstral. I originally conducted my research on bayonets primarily to satisfy my own curiosity, particularly because I always seek to manage my campaigns with the utmost efficiency. I wanted to discover the quantifiable effects of the bayonet technologies (if indeed the effects were quantifiable), so I could better prioritize my research on a campaign level. I also hoped to increase my overall combat effectiveness by obtaining a better understanding of the effects of bayonets and taking them into account when making decisons regarding unit recruitment, army composition, battlefield deployment, and melee combat.

As Pitt stated, I found that both Ring and Socket bayonets are permanently fixed on all bayonet-equipped units as soon as the technology has been researched.

Edit: After attempting to locate this guide on the Articles page, I was unable to find it. Pitt - Was the Bayonets Explained: Effects of Bayonets on Army Unit Statistics article ever posted to the Articles page? I would have made mention of this in the original thread in the Guides & Articles Forum, but it has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.

[This message has been edited by Francis Marion (edited 08-28-2013 @ 05:47 PM).]

Pitt
Commodore
posted 08-29-13 11:04 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
I thought I had. Obviously not. Oops.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Pitt
Commodore
posted 08-29-13 11:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
The bayonet article is now up on the site and can be found here.

Sorry about the delay.

webstral
Mariner
posted 09-07-13 00:23 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
It was good stuff, FM. One wants to know these details.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames