We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion » TWH Podcast Faction and Unit Polling Thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:TWH Podcast Faction and Unit Polling Thread
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 04-16-13 11:17 PM EDT (US)         
Hey all

So what would be your favorite faction and unit( can be land unit, or naval unit, or both) in Empire total war? (Tips on each would be appreciated and just may get you into the Podcast)

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda

[This message has been edited by Awesome Eagle (edited 04-16-2013 @ 11:18 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 04-17-13 00:38 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
My knowledge and experience with Empire: Total War is limited since I've only played three campaigns and completed one, but out of all of them my favorite is Austria. Things can be pretty tense at first since you start off surrounded by hostile or unfriendly nations like Poland and the Ottomans, but if you can maintain peace with some careful diplomacy and be patient enough to build up your military, you can eventually field one of the most powerful armies in the game.

My favorite unit has to be the Cuirassiers. I've always been a big fan of cavalry and these guys continue the old tradition of heavy shock cavalry. They're powerful, but they can get bloodied pretty badly if they get bogged down in a protracted melee so your best bet would be to charge them into the flank of a unit under fire by your line infantry or to maneuver them around the enemy firing line and into the enemy's artillery. They're charge is capable of breaking an enemy unit if you time it right, with their deadly sabres these guys can cut down routers like a scythe-wielding farmer harvesting a field of wheat.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Cherub of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 04-17-13 04:25 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Empire's a different game to the others because many of our actual countries are represented in it in almost the modern form. This means that, although Prussia is fun and means you can colonise from scratch, I have a fierce desire every time to play Britain, just cos. Throw in the fact I recognise most of the regiments, can blow stuff up with HMS Victory and command Sharpe's Greenjackets, we have a winner So that's my favorite.

In terms of units I'm going to be very boring and say Line Infantry. This is not because they're solid, dependable and pack a punch, though. It's because of Empire's naming system- I love organising my units into regiments and letting them build their own reputation up, unlike when you get a named regiment and feel you have to "match" their historical importance. Typically they get nicknames given to them upon reaching the first star and chevron level of experience (even if when retrained they then lose that level) and it goes from there. The potential to role play with your individual units is much greater than any other game in the series so far, and for all Empire's flaws that's why I had to redownload it and play recently

(I've started writing an AAR for Darthmod empire, actually, but I wasn't going to post it until I did another section- I'll try and post the first bit before you record your podcast? )

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
SongsOfBeitar
Mariner
posted 04-17-13 11:17 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
I haven't played ETW but my first choices would either be prussia or poland. Prussia because its so small and I love building tiny countries into big empires. Poland because of its historical decline into political irrelevance during the 18th and 19th century which I, of course, would avert.
I don't know any of the units but EoJ's mention of the line infantry sounds intriguing. I would definitely role play with my soldiers if I had the chance. I kind of do it already with rtw units but its not as satisfying.
Scenter102
Mariner
posted 04-17-13 03:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
I will start with my favorite units, which would be the Windbucshe as I quite like the concept of silently massacring my enemy. I recall one instance where the AI sent a general's unit near one, suffice to say they were massacred (there were two units and the AI didn't pull them back). I also like the Prussian fusiliers due to sheer flexibility. I also like grenadiers due to their high morale, I will usually use them as my 3rd line behind my skirmishers and my line infantry. As the AI likes to charge my 2nd line I will have my grenadiers shoot, close into grenade range and the charge, as the do fairly well in hand-to-hand.

My favorite faction is probably Great Britain due to their flexibility and safety. I can become a colonial power or I could attack the mainland etcetera. It make for a more interesting game.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 04-18-13 04:57 AM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Surely your Grenadiers would shoot your men in the back?

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 04-26-13 05:44 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
My favourite faction changes all the time. Mughals was probably the best campaign I ever played on ETW so they get the shout here.

As for favourite unit, I like the Spanish Walloon Guards. Placing them in the centre of my line to maximise their kills or on the flanks to steamroll an enemy force up from the end of their formation; a couple of volleys and a charge and moving on to the next. Plus they look awesome;

Those blue uniforms are striking on the battlefield in contrast with the rest of the Spanish White.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 04-28-13 04:09 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Windbucshe are my favorite unit. Silent, stealthy, I once had them capture a fort while my main army was fighting theirs, as they came out into the field to fight and left a unit of horsemen and an artillery (I think it was mortars) inside. They climbed the walls, made short work of the enemy inside, and allowed me to win the battle with fewer casualties than fighting to the end would have.

My favorite faction is Prussia. The whole thought of a small nation, with a supreme military and starting position, that's just an amazing campaign to play. Plus there are a bunch of different ways you can expand. Take over the German territories, take out Poland-Lithuania, go up against Sweden or Austria. Just love it I also like playing as Austria, because they have a boost in numbers for regular Line Infantry than other nations, or at least that I've noticed. I haven't played too much as GB, France, or non-Central/Eastern European nations. Too big at the start, plus I'm not a fan of colonizing.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames