We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion » Operational Level Strategy Guide?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Operational Level Strategy Guide?
Grognir
Mariner
posted 02-12-13 10:56 AM EDT (US)         
Ok, we have strategy (campaign map) and tactics (battlefield map) but what about operational level strategy? By this I mean like a single turn's movement on the campaign map, maneuvering for battle. The AI likely always knows exactly how far it can move, which towns it can raid etc and still be in position for an attack or defense.

I'm still struggling with such issues. I'm not clear yet on distances allowing reinforcement. It seems to differ but based on what I'm unclear. For example, how close I can move troops in for reinforcing a battle yet not trigger interception. How close such troops need to be. How exactly does the reinforcement screen work (as in, I thought the leftmost tab shows the earliest arriving reinforcements, and the leftmost unit under a reinforcement tab shows the order of reinforcements, but it seems unclear.)

Also, is there ever an ambush? Where you intercept troops on the march, as in Rome TW?

In short, anyone know of a guide or writeup that covers such issues? Thanks....
AuthorReplies:
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 02-13-13 10:24 AM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
As far as I know I do not think there is one yet written for Empire: Total War or beyond. However, if you have any questions feel free to ask them and I shall attempt to answer them to the best of my ability.

For example, and it has been a while since I last played Empire, but I believe like in Shogun 2 reinforcement range is the same as an army's zone of control. That small coloured 'zone of control' you see when you select an army controls both how far on the campaign map that army can intercept another army and how close another army has to be to provide reinforcements.

For reinforcements, the reinforcing army has to be within the 'zone of control' of the army you want it to reinforce, if I remember correctly. Now if I am remembering correctly an army's 'zone of control' (ZoC) is not fixed. So the distance its ZoC covers varies depending on several determining factors, which I cannot remember currently sorry. Personally I don't think the order armies are arranged in the reinforcement screen matters for anything important, but I could be wrong.

As for ambushes I have rarely encountered them in Empire personally, but they can happen. The AI has far more success setting up ambushes on the campaign map then I have ever had.
BastWorshiper
Sensei
posted 02-21-13 03:03 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Ambushes can only occur when an army is hidden on the campaign map. In order for an army to be hidden on the campaign map, it can only include units with this special ability (generally skirmisher types or natives, IIRC). Often, these armies are not very powerful due to the types of units which must be included. They are only really useful against small raiding parties.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
Grognir
Mariner
posted 02-21-13 07:59 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
I'm assuming you mean the 'paths seldom trod' ability. That's a useful tip, thanks!
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 02-22-13 03:34 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Yes, the 'Paths Seldom Trod' unit trait. Then it appears to require two turns for the army, on the campaign map, to setup the ambush, much like when they entrench themselves. So the turn you maneuver them in to position and then an additional turn after that.

I hear Generals can also gain a trait which allows them to conduct ambushes. Not sure what the trait is called, but the forums seem to suggest 'A Fair Fight?' as one name for it. Sadly I have no idea if a General with the trait confers the ability, to conduct ambushes, on to all men under his control.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames