We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion » New here...would like to ask a quick question...
Bottom
Topic Subject:New here...would like to ask a quick question...
General_Malaise
Mariner
posted 02-12-13 10:22 AM EDT (US)         
I am playing as the Marathas (I know, LAME) and have been at war with the Dutch for what seems like forever. I took Ceylon about 30 turns back and destroyed the Dutch navy in the Indian theatre. I destroyed their trade fleets around Africa, blockaded Rotterdam (last remaining port), and landed a HUGE army in the Netherlands (their last province). I have laid siege to Amsterdam for 2 turns now and STILL the Dutch will not accept peace! Even for free! Even if I give them techs! I don't want to get entangled in Europe, but the Dutch wont budge. Any thoughts on why this might be? Thanks.
AuthorReplies:
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 02-13-13 09:31 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
How many additional turns does Amsterdam have left before the province and city become yours? Assuming the Dutch AI is not stupid and stubborn enough to sign its own death warrant they should come to the negotiation table sometime before the siege of Amsterdam is set to conclude. How long that could be depends on your answering to my answering question, but at worst they should hopefully see sense a turn before are consigned to death.
General_Malaise
Mariner
posted 02-19-13 09:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
Thanks for the reply! Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. There are still 3 turns left until the siege of Amsterdam is over. I guess I have just been frustrated with the AI recently, because they don't seem to care about themselves or their treasuries. I didn't feel like waiting around for the siege and didn't want to conquer the Netherlands and tie up an army there. I guess the only way they will surrender is to kill them all!
Pitt
Commodore
posted 02-19-13 09:33 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
If you really don't want a presence in Europe after you capture the Netherlands, you could just give the province to another faction immediately after capturing it. That should automatically transfer your army back to your own territories as well (you could hang onto the region for a turn and destroy all the infrastructure if you didn't want to give the other faction too much power).

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Scipii
TWH Seraph
posted 02-19-13 11:13 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
Better yet, profit from the ordeal by selling Amsterdam to the highest bidder. Annoying presence in the European continent gotten rid of and you get to fill your coffers too.
BastWorshiper
Sensei
posted 02-21-13 03:18 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
Better yet, profit from the ordeal by selling Amsterdam to the highest bidder. Annoying presence in the European continent gotten rid of and you get to fill your coffers too.
This. In addition, you could make it a point to sell the territory to a nation with poor relations with any other nations with whom you are at war. Alternatively, you could sell it to a country with whom you have poor relations to improve relations (or put them in a position where they have to contend with the nations surrounding The Netherlands.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
General_Malaise
Mariner
posted 02-26-13 10:21 AM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
All good ideas. I sold the Netherlands to the Brits for a pretty penny! Therefore getting peace with them so my navy isn't always on the run and to thwart their imperial ambitions in my theatre for the time being. And of course I destroyed all of the infrastructure first! Thanks again for the responses, gentlemen(and/or ladies)!
Grognir
Mariner
posted 02-26-13 11:54 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
I recall once playing as the Netherlands and France declared war. Not an especially brilliant move since artillery in Flanders (which I had) can reach Paris in one turn as can infantry from Amsterdam. I didn't want it myself, and I couldn't find anybody to buy it, so I dismantled everything and gave it away (don't recall to who, maybe the Ottomans). A few turns later it revolts and France is reborn. A few turns later, they again declare war and again I attacked. They hadn't even built walls in Paris. Again finding no buyers I gave it to the plains indians. Who actually kept it throughout the game, building their teepees and whatnot.
General_Malaise
Mariner
posted 02-27-13 08:59 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
I have used the strategy myself before, playing as France. I was able to slip a pretty big army across the Channel and took England. However it wasn't big enough to garrison and couldn't afford to defend France for long without that army, so I destroyed everything in England, Scotland, and Ireland. Scotland and Ireland declared independence and I gave England to the Spanish (who quickly lost it to rebellion due to the Protestant resistance, I'm sure). However, I was able to eliminate the Brits as competition for a LONG time and focus on crushing the Dutch and Austrians!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames