Were sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Campaign & General Discussion » New Prussian Strategy
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Prussian Strategy
chainshotter
Mariner
posted 12-08-12 01:09 PM EDT (US)         
Most conventional wisdom on the early turns of the Prussian campaign says to focus on Saxony first as it leads to war only with Poland. I played that exact strategy before, it works well. However, I recently started a new Prussian campaign (H/H difficulty), and noticed something big:

On the first turn, Denmark was allied with Poland and Russia. Thus, to start my expansion by attacking them would be tactically unwise. Of course, I don't generally attack anyone on the first turn as I like to have a few more infantry regiments and generally disband the pikemen/militia cavalry/demi cannons on Turn 1. I ally with Poland and Saxony on Turn 1, and secure as many trade agreements as I can (they are for some reason harder to get after Turn 1, even if there is an open trade route). Build up a bunch of infantry in Brandenburg and 1 ship in the Brandenburg port. End the turn.
On turn 2, Poland should no longer be allied with Denmark. Now I know what you're thinking, Denmark is still allied with Russia. If, when you land your troops and declare war, you don't ask your allies to join you, Russia won't join Denmark. However, even if they do, who cares? You're allied with Poland and they have to go through Poland to get to your territories. Also, Russia in the opening turns has a shitty, small army that is very far away from Konigsberg. If you take Denmark, it will likely lead to war with Sweden so your main task after taking Denmark is to quickly develop the other Denmark port in the Baltic into a naval base so you can kick out a few (I prefer 4) frigates. This will likely give you (if you're good at naval battles) sufficient naval superiority to crush Sweden's navy and control the area so their armies can't cross directly from Sweden to Copenhagen. This will allow you to station a small garrison in Denmark and turn your sights back south to Austria, who by this time is probably declaring war on you (they do it to me all the time). Since Frigates cost about the same as line infantry, you're essentially spending the same amount to defend Copenhagen as you would if you had four line infantry there, but with the added benefit of completely preventing any sieges on Copenhagen. My only issues with this strategy are (1) it leads to war with Sweden very early (though its not that big a deal if you maintain your four frigates and are good at naval battles); and (2) it leaves you with limited opportunities for expansion in other directions as I've allied with Poland and Saxony. I moved against Hanover in one game but didn't like being at war with GB and UP. I think, if you maintain your alliances, Austria is the best way to expand. Take a few of those regions and then turn on the rest of Germany, save Saxony (to keep your eastern flank secure). Thoughts?
AuthorReplies:
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 12-08-12 02:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 2       
An interesting take on things. The only change from the start that I would make (for myself at least) is instead of 4 frigates (do you mean 4th Rates?) I would use a single brig to block the straits. It would be taking (merciless) advantage over the mechanic that when you are attacked at sea to win the battle you need to merely survive. So by sailing around the perimeter of the map, always having chainshot loaded in case anyone gets too close behind, you can win almost every time. The caveat being fleets composed of a lot of brigs and sloops can be harder to work this tactic against but it isn't impossible. That let's you build 3 or 4 more units which can turn the tide of an otherwise chancey land battle.

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
chainshotter
Mariner
posted 12-09-12 03:10 AM EDT (US)     2 / 2       
I prefer frigates (sixth rates). With Prussia, you don't have the ability to build anything better early on because you lack the naval techs to upgrade your naval facilities. By building a shipyard in the second Baltic port in Denmark you can quickly build sixth rates, but without other naval techs (which aren't worth researching at that point), you can't do much better.

My strategy was to use my four frigates to capture the Swedish fleet which has two fifth rate admiral's flagships (using lots of chain shot). With those added to your four sixth rates you can even think about trying to take some overseas or mediterranean territories (e.g. Malta) to expand your influence/protect your trade routes. Malta as a base would help Prussia check the Austrian navy, which has a nasty tendency to raid your trade route with the Ottomans when the Austrians declare war on you (which they always seem to do).
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames