We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

News Forum
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » News Forum » "New Total War to be unveiled at E3"
Bottom
Topic Subject:"New Total War to be unveiled at E3"
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 05-21-10 04:00 AM EDT (US)         
VE3D reports that The Creative Assembly will unveil it's new Total War game at the E3 which will be held from June 15th17th. Earlier this week a job advertisement revealed CA's Australian studio is working on a sports game, but they're also working on a new Total War game, which they confirmed on their new Twitter page.

VE3D also claims it is in possession of full details, and although they're not releasing them just yet they do say "that the new PC-only game eschews the gunpowder weaponry of recent Total War titles and gets back to basics."

Anyone want to warrant a guess as to what the new game will be?

Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Hussarknight (edited 05-21-2010 @ 04:03 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 05-21-10 09:16 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
Yes! RTW2! Or something with vikings. Finally we dont have to see GB on their littel defended isle anymore. I love this new thing, but i hope you can run elections and things like that.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 05-21-10 09:42 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
Here is my Hypothesis;

Assuming that the new TW game will indeed be a remake, it could be either Shogun, Rome or Medieval. I'd eliminate Medieval III right away, being that they already have a remake for that period. Much more likely to be Rome or Shogun. Between the two? I took CA's statement to mean there will be no gunpowder involved at all, meaning Shogun is out.

This leaves us with Rome 2. The most likely remake for the reasons listed above, not to mention it seems to be the 'cult classic' or overall fan favourite for the most part.

Still, I had a conversation with LoH the other day where I said I'd be surprised if they moved away from the Gunpowder and trade wars so quickly, especially since there is still so much that could be added. Not that I am against a return to the Total War 'basics' at all, I relish in the opportunity to carve out an Empire with bow, axe and sword!

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Primo
Mariner
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 05-21-10 10:08 AM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
Rome 2 would be good, I enjoyed that era, moreso than Medieval as well tbh. I like just being able to assert your dominance with a blade, and not having to worry about politics or inquisitors.

Of course, 'back to basics' could mean we're fighting with cave men and hand axes. :P

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460

[This message has been edited by Primo (edited 05-21-2010 @ 10:11 AM).]

chrisciscoioio
VIP
posted 05-21-10 10:53 AM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
There are a couple things to note, or consider.

Whcih studio is working on it, it seems to me it could be the Australian studio trying to turn things around from a few of its poor games the last few years.

It will most likely use a the current total war engine, updated or regressed to support more melee, ranged.

Before gunpowered leaves us the greater part of human history.

Anything from 10000 BC to 1200 AD, but more likely 4000 BC to 1000 AD

still that is a large time frame.

Anything from the first settlements of cities to the Invasion of England in 1066 as the end point, or if you go east you could have anything from early chinese civilization to early Japanese and Korean, and add Mongols in there, the big problem with that is alot of the most famous periods from there involved gunpower. They could remake a classic, shogun/rome, I doubt medieval just because there have been two and the game is still quite popular.

Intern Game Scripter
Reverie World Studios
Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 05-21-10 05:23 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
While I personally think it will be Rome II: Total War, I would love to see something along the lines of a Dark Ages: Total War - something focusing on Europe (or maybe with a more global perspective?) from the years 400-1000. That would be a really interesting setting for a game.

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
Med8r
Mariner
posted 05-22-10 09:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
My guess is for Shogun 2, for several reasons:

1) Gunpowder isn't completely out of the picture here, not necessarily. To quote VE3D, "the new PC-only game eschews the gunpowder weaponry of recent Total War titles". By "recent", I think it's not unreasonable to say that they must mean Empire and Napoleon. In which games gunpowder is used far differently than in Medieval 2 or Shogun. So "gunpowder weaponry of recent Total War titles" may not mean "gunpowder in any form", but simply "gunpowder used as the primary weapon of war". Quite possible.

2) To quote the news post: "...and gets back to basics." That could mean several things, but Shogun was the first, oldest, and most "basic" of the Total War games, was it not? Again, it could mean several things, so it's just a hunch, and may be completely off.

3) The Far East has, for the most part, been left untouched since Shogun, while Europe and the Middle East have been in every other installment. It'd be the perfect world to explore anew.

4) Being that Medieval 2 and Rome are still fairly popular anyway, and that Shogun is the oldest, it would make for the best revisit, in my opinion. Many of us, especially those newer to the series, haven't played Shogun (or even heard much about it), so there would be little or no material that could be considered recycled or reused.

Anyway, that's my logic on it. Won't I look intelligent if it turns out to be Rome 2.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 05-29-10 03:17 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
Kotaku reports that a Turkish gaming site leaked they had an appointment with Sega to talk about Shogun 2 at the E3. The post on the Turkish site has now been removed.

Also, CA posted this on their Twitter page:
In Spring it roams not. / Maybe eastern sun rises / Nor will it show guns
That seems to confirm that there won't be gunpowder and it definitely doesn't rule out Shogun 2. What's interesting is that it has the form of a Haiku, a Japanese form of poetry, which could hint at a setting in the Far East.

Hussarknight
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 05-29-10 06:37 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
Then i hope we can play as the mongols. Then it would be the awsomest total war game ever. Think of the cool battles and the nice graphic. If it becomes Shogun 2 i bet PoM will start playing it, and maybe Daelon can challange him since he seems to not be abel doing it now.

The only thing that may become a probles is the walls. How is the mongols supposed to break throught them. In real i think they tricked the defenders to open the gates, then they made a massiv charge so they could break in.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames