We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War Modifications
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.37 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War Modifications » Minor Factions Summary/Goals mod.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Minor Factions Summary/Goals mod.
shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 07-30-09 09:47 PM EDT (US)         
Lets Try This Again...

Aspiring scientist and millitary enthusiast.

I tend to be long-winded. Thanks for any help.

[This message has been edited by shadowdrummer46 (edited 10-23-2009 @ 09:38 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
BriJr
Mariner
posted 07-31-09 03:01 PM EDT (US)     1 / 37       
This is a great idea. I can't mod for crap, but I'd be willing to test and write nation summaries.

BriJr
shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-01-09 00:32 AM EDT (US)     2 / 37       
Excellent!!! Once we have a couple more people ill put up more details. Right now im teaching myself as much about modding as I can. So far its just editing "startpos.esf", but I have a feeling its going to get a bit more complicated =P

Soleb
Mariner
posted 08-06-09 04:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 37       
i have never modded shit, but EL Bandito is a modding expert, i'm sure he can give some amount of help if you ask nicely. i am willing to be an extra pair of hands for reaserch, and i have a pretty good head when it comes to new idea's, so i'm sure i can help with unit creation. (not he mathematics of it all, just the guidelines and idea regarding unit role and such)

If you must cross thin ice, dance your way across

[This message has been edited by Soleb (edited 08-06-2009 @ 04:53 PM).]

BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 08-06-09 06:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 37       
I can volunteer for writing, revising, and all the boring stuff for the nation summaries. Just give me a couple and I will do some research right away.

Actually it was originally called just Heaven, but then God sold the naming rights to Microsoft, so.... -GoForGoldenJarls

Astor: “Churchill, if you were my husband, I’d put poison in your coffee.”
Churchill: “Madam, if you were my wife, I’d drink it.”
shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-06-09 06:53 PM EDT (US)     5 / 37       
Great guys!

Right now im just Trying to learn some modding basics, and finding out where the files we need to mod are. I still need to find a modder( who is El Bandito?lol).

This mod wont get into any gameplay mechanics or unit creation, though. Just adding some additional info to anyone interested in history, or playing smaller nations.

[This message has been edited by shadowdrummer46 (edited 08-06-2009 @ 07:01 PM).]

BriJr
Mariner
posted 08-06-09 10:20 PM EDT (US)     6 / 37       
Getting started on Mysore.

What if, after this first warm-up, we just compile a list in the OP of all minor factions, then let researchers choose which ones they want to get done? We could aim for one nation from each researcher every 10 days, we'd just have to call dibs on which nations we want.

Firstly, though, we all need each others email or IM screen name to coordinate this and edit each others' articles.

Edit: Like this...
Not Started
In Progress - *Name*
Completed - *Name*

Minor Factions + Revolters:
Afghanistan
Barbary
Bavaria
Cherokee Nations - Soleb
Courland
Crimean Khanate
Dagestan
Denmark
Genoa
Georgia
Gran Colombia
Greece
Hannover
Hessen
Hungary
Huron Confederacy
Khanate of Khiva
Knights of St John
Inuit Nations
Ireland
Iroquois Confederacy
Italian States
Louisiana
Mamelukes
Mecklenburg
México
Morocco
Mysore - BriJr
Naples & Sicily
New Spain
Norway
Savoy
Pirates
Plains Nations
Portugal
Powhatan Confederacy
Pueblo Nations
Punjab
Quebec
Persia - Burningsushi460
Saxony
Schleswig-Holstein
Scotland
Swiss Confederation
Thirteen Colonies
Tuscany
Venice
Westphalia
Württemberg

BriJr

[This message has been edited by BriJr (edited 08-06-2009 @ 10:31 PM).]

BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 08-06-09 10:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 37       
I'm just going to look at the length of the original factions and then type up something of that size on Word.
Who do we send our emails to?

Edit:
To add to your setup, here is the layout for how the nation summaries should be written in accordance to Total War's canon summaries:

Rubric:
- Two to five paragraphs in length
- Introduction to the nation
- Historical background of the nation
- Potential expansion points for said faction
- Current political/militaristic position as of 1700
- A hint of writing voice that sounds good, just imagine the library monk from Medieval II Total War reading your summary.

Just for pointers, they are merely guidelines for myself.

In terms of editing and processing, we need two revisers. One for historical accuracy (God I wish Kor was here) and one for the traits of writing.

Actually it was originally called just Heaven, but then God sold the naming rights to Microsoft, so.... -GoForGoldenJarls

[This message has been edited by BurningSushi460 (edited 08-06-2009 @ 11:17 PM).]

Soleb
Mariner
posted 08-06-09 10:57 PM EDT (US)     8 / 37       
Well i hope i know what i am getting into, El Bandito is the madman who created the famous mongoleaphobia mod, you may want to post on the Medevil total war home page asking him to help, he has also written some guides about modding to. (damn you BriJr you gave me more nation's than anyone else!) and about the units, well if i know total war right, they probly didn't give minor nations very good unit's especially late game, so if a player uses this faction he may be stuck with generic unit's

Also i have only played the demo of this game, i own it, but the computer that can run it is being shipped in. i am however very interested in this time periods history, and love total war games.

[This message has been edited by Soleb (edited 08-06-2009 @ 11:02 PM).]

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-06-09 11:04 PM EDT (US)     9 / 37       
Mysore
Persia
Cherokee
Huron
Inuit
Iroquois
Barbary States
Bavaria
Courland
Crimean
Dagestan
Denmark
France
Genoa
Georgia
Hannover
Italian States
Knights
Morocco
Portugal
Savoy
Saxony
Venice
Westphalia
Wurttemburg

Thats the list of Non-Emergent Minor nations I had.

Emergent nations arent really working to my knowledge... they spawn at random times, and so when the game goes to spawn a nation that is being played, it explodes.

[This message has been edited by shadowdrummer46 (edited 08-07-2009 @ 00:00 AM).]

Soleb
Mariner
posted 08-06-09 11:41 PM EDT (US)     10 / 37       
well, now that i look at the list, it seem's i will have to see location of their starting places and such before i hand out advice and what not, so i will wait till i have the game till i do stuff, however if you give me specifics i am sure i can come up with solid research.

Also E-mail : Scmcgintn@aol.com (yes i know AOL sucks)

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-06-09 11:59 PM EDT (US)     11 / 37       
An email is a email (I have yahoo).

If we let people select nations we need to make sure that two people dont start to research a nation at the same time if im not around a computer for a couple of days, and thus not able to update the MP.

Idk...Just a thought- rather request, then wait till the MP is updated .That way we dont have people wasting time. Although I guess it's not wasting time if you enjoy it......

=)

BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 08-07-09 00:07 AM EDT (US)     12 / 37       
Actually, it took me two hours, but I finished my summary of Persia already. You still haven't the question of who gets the email.

My email is wto702@gmail.com

I would like to have a bite at Portugal please, I was so pissed beyond reason that they weren't on the major factions list.

[This message has been edited by BurningSushi460 (edited 08-07-2009 @ 00:10 AM).]

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-07-09 08:42 AM EDT (US)     13 / 37       
You can Email all finished sections to me, ill start making a file to keep track of them.

Eventually im sure ill use your help Burningsushi460 to revise them.

[This message has been edited by shadowdrummer46 (edited 08-07-2009 @ 08:47 AM).]

Soleb
Mariner
posted 08-07-09 01:35 PM EDT (US)     14 / 37       
I'll take a stab at the Barbery States, they should be an interesting nation to play as, lot's of light infantry i suppose. I will write a summary, and other such stuff. Could someone E-Mail a summary so i have something to base mine off of. I was thinking of making mine hatefull and slightly jealous of the other nations.

Does anyone know where i can get to the website that has all the unit info of every nation, i think it's called the royal artilary school or something. that would be very usefull since i have never seen the nation before. (except in the video's i have seen)

[This message has been edited by Soleb (edited 08-07-2009 @ 01:55 PM).]

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-07-09 02:12 PM EDT (US)     15 / 37       
Soleb,

Start out with the Cherokee Nations. once that is done you can request barbary states.

http://totalwar.honga.net/empire_units.php?encode=en is the site you were looking for.

As for something to base your writing off of, just read the rubric on the First Post. You dont need to go in-depth about units and such, just hit the main points BurningSushi460 laid out in the rubric.

Here is BurningSushi460's Desciption for Persia:
"Indeed, the Safavid rulers of the new Persian Empire have had a glorious streak in the past two centuries, their leader Ismail I ousting the Turks from Persia and forging its borders from Azerbaijan and Persia to as far as most of Pakistan and Afghanistan, perhaps a hereditary trait from their original Timurid rulers. The Safavid should not bathe in their glory for too long however, for their position as a major power is beginning to falter quickly.

More than half a century ago, since the Ottomans and Persia settled their border agreement in the Treaty of Qasr-er-Shirin, ending 150 years of intermittent warfare. Even on secure borders though, religious differences have kept the candle burning with the Shiite Muslims despising their Sunni rivals. However, as it stands now, Central Iraq is becoming somewhat unstable in its nature. The Persian Empire, like its Turkish counterpart, sits as the buffer between the East and the West, resulting in what could be a major political and economic standpoint. From his capital of Esfahan, the Shah can choose to null a century-strong border and seize the holdings of the Turks or advance east for the Mughals who, despite their lack of political stability at the moment, have shown recent interest in controlled Afghanistan. He must even be wary of the prudent Russians lying quietly in wait for an opportune grab at Central Asia.

Mustering great military and financial strength from its ethnic groups of Qizilbash and Turcoman, both of which have dealt a major hand in Persian history, the Shah must consider how he musters his armies. The legacy of the Safavid dynasty is soon coming to a close, ushering with it a band of land-hungry neighbors that could potentially annihilate a culture more unique and diverse than almost any other. When they come, the new rulers of Persia are in a situation quite difficult. Perhaps, though, with a quick hand, strong soldiers, and a lion-like Shah, such trivialities will be fleeting, and the rulers of the East and the West will bow their heads to an empire of limitless bounds, perhaps greater, than even their Achaemenid ancestors… "

Very well done!!!

[This message has been edited by shadowdrummer46 (edited 08-07-2009 @ 02:20 PM).]

Soleb
Mariner
posted 08-07-09 02:35 PM EDT (US)     16 / 37       
I have sent my summary, if you think it need's changing please let me know. I am kina new at this so i have no problem being told it's a peice of crap.

[This message has been edited by Soleb (edited 08-07-2009 @ 03:40 PM).]

BriJr
Mariner
posted 08-08-09 12:09 PM EDT (US)     17 / 37       
I'll finish up Mysore tonight and then I'd like to get started on Venice if no one minds.

Also, my name is spelled B-r-i-J-r :P

Email: bdijr@comcast.net

BriJr

[This message has been edited by BriJr (edited 08-08-2009 @ 12:10 PM).]

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-08-09 01:35 PM EDT (US)     18 / 37       
Sorry about that Brajr I change the MP, looking forward to your summary!

Nice work Soleb you can get started on The Barbary States right away, although dont be afraid to write another paragraph for the Cherokee Nations, if you can find content for it.

Everyone is doing great work so far! You guys are pushing me to keep up. This is coming along nicely!=P

[This message has been edited by shadowdrummer46 (edited 08-08-2009 @ 01:45 PM).]

BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 08-08-09 01:51 PM EDT (US)     19 / 37       
Speaking of work, have you been doing anything on the prestige list? I think the major faction prestige list should be untouched and a little button that toggles to the minor factions should work if you are able to put it in.

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-08-09 02:01 PM EDT (US)     20 / 37       
Hmm...I dont know.

Your talking about Moving a nation in game, from minor to major faction list, correct?

Ill check it out.

BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 08-08-09 02:35 PM EDT (US)     21 / 37       
I'm talking about prestige. I don't think it would be effective to crush 30+ nations onto that little board so it would be better to have an extra prestige panel that you can toggle to that contains all the minor factions.

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-08-09 03:10 PM EDT (US)     22 / 37       
yea idk ill have to look at it, I was thinking the same thing.

[This message has been edited by shadowdrummer46 (edited 08-08-2009 @ 03:26 PM).]

BriJr
Mariner
posted 08-09-09 12:38 PM EDT (US)     23 / 37       
I'm talking about prestige. I don't think it would be effective to crush 30+ nations onto that little board so it would be better to have an extra prestige panel that you can toggle to that contains all the minor factions.
That would involve creating new graphics for the in-game prestige window and probably some coding, which it looks like none of us know how to do. :P

BriJr
BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 08-09-09 03:18 PM EDT (US)     24 / 37       
Hey guys, I'm going to have Portugal done probably by Monday and after that I have to go vacation to California with my brother for a week. When I get back I might get started on another.

Soleb
Mariner
posted 08-09-09 04:23 PM EDT (US)     25 / 37       
sorry i have been unable to talk much, i was camping and my dog died, so that kind of took priority. My second summary has been sent. also pardon my ingnorant mind what is MP?

[This message has been edited by Soleb (edited 08-09-2009 @ 04:52 PM).]

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-10-09 00:04 AM EDT (US)     26 / 37       
sorry to hear that.

MP=Main Post

BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 08-10-09 10:41 PM EDT (US)     27 / 37       
I sent Portugal already and when I come back from California next week, I'm going to probably do some work with Hannover. Jeez, now that a number of the good minor factions are already gone, the remaining are getting difficult to write summaries for in terms of history. Apparently life was quiet for these little guys during this time, all the action for most of them being in the 19th century (maybe that might have been why CA didn't make them playable here).

Soleb
Mariner
posted 08-11-09 00:22 AM EDT (US)     28 / 37       
idk what nation to do now, also i start school tommarow, so i may be a bit late with the next one, also i don't know which nation i'm doing next so if you can assign them, i don't want to do the same one as someone else

BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 08-11-09 02:24 AM EDT (US)     29 / 37       
I'll toss you one of two choices, try Denmark, I'm not very knowledgable of that country but I know that it has a rather nice history. If not, there is Bavaria, that one has good potential for the summary, the others, I'm quite hesitant to write about due to their severe lack of data concerning their 18th century appearance.

Edit: I just now noticed, why are the French in the Minor Factions list?

[This message has been edited by BurningSushi460 (edited 08-11-2009 @ 01:01 PM).]

Soleb
Mariner
posted 08-11-09 11:50 AM EDT (US)     30 / 37       
@Burning sushi 17th century, and i'll take Denmark

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-14-09 02:28 PM EDT (US)     31 / 37       
Sorry guys I was on vacation for a couple days.....im back now, thanks for helping keeping things organized burningsushi460.

BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 09-15-09 06:04 PM EDT (US)     32 / 37       
I think our mod died.

Waffentraeger
Mariner
(id: Daelon)
posted 09-15-09 07:49 PM EDT (US)     33 / 37       
I can do Denmark
shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 09-17-09 00:03 AM EDT (US)     34 / 37       
Yea I kinda bit off more than I can chew...Sorry to everyone. If someone wants to pick this up that would be cool or I might try again sometime in the future.

Just thought id bring closure if anyone was interested. Thanks for all the effort; sorry im a bad mod leader.

Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09-17-09 09:29 AM EDT (US)     35 / 37       
You could always upload what you have now so at least some factions appear as normal ones. I would very much like a mod doing only a few of them already.

Hussarknight
BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 09-19-09 01:02 PM EDT (US)     36 / 37       
Do you think someone may claim this mod and finish what shadowdrummer started?

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 10-23-09 09:41 AM EDT (US)     37 / 37       
Lets Try This Again...

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames