We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » The less-than-agile admiral
Bottom
Topic Subject:The less-than-agile admiral
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 01-07-11 12:57 PM EDT (US)         
Summer, mid 1700's. On blockade duty on the port for Trinidad @ Tobago sits the Russian brig Nord-Adler. Locked in the port are 3 pirate galleons. They tried to sortie once before and were dealt a harsh defeat by my ability to stay on the other side of the map compared to them. I thought this sortie of theirs would be no different.

The seas were rough but beyond that no difference from before. So I waited on the edge of the map for their ponderous hulks to make their way upwind so I could once again spryly dart away with my Russian race horse of a brig.

As I sit there I suddenly see my admiral has died! What's this?! How can he die when there isn't any enemy ship even on the same side of the map as him? I zoom in and can see an officer lying sprawled on the deck, not doing the waiting dance like the rest of teh crew. So I took a screenshot and about 10 seconds later as I'm wondering if he fell to his death I see another crewman fall from the rigging next to him. A few minutes later there's a third body. It made me wonder if I could lose the fight just from my butter fingered crew all plunging to their deaths. I won but I was still a tad miffed about the whole thing. I suppose it's realism though.

[JPEG, (186.41 KB)]

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.

[This message has been edited by Warguppy (edited 01-07-2011 @ 01:01 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 01-07-11 02:10 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
He should have used his safety gear . Never had this happen to me, but I do know that admirals will also sometimes get killed when the mast they've climbed is cut down.

Hussarknight
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 01-07-11 03:44 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Yes I've had that happen to me. But this is the first non-combat death I have seen in a battle. I was a bit concerned the unit might route because of being so badly outnumbered but maybe if the 3 galleons had been closer it might have routed or even surrendered.

BastWorshiper
Sensei
posted 01-07-11 03:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
It's time to institute a policy prohibiting trading shots of rum before battle, I think.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 01-07-11 05:45 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Well Bast, he was a Russian admiral so I'm guessing it was vodka instead of rum but a good idea none-the-less!

GundamMerc
Mariner
posted 01-08-11 05:14 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Or perhaps the opposite was true. They had run out of vodka and were thus suffering withdrawal, causing them to lose spatial awareness and decrease reaction time.

"The only one here who could possibly help us is Edorix. Unfortunately, he is busy off killing Romans right now."- GundamMerc (an imagined quote)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames