We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » I... just... can't... DO IT!!
Bottom
Topic Subject:I... just... can't... DO IT!!
TKwarrior17
Mariner
posted 05-13-10 01:00 AM EDT (US)         
Ok. I admit it. I am officially the worst admiral ever.

I can't win anything unless I outnumber the enemy 2-1. I go out of my way to build the best navies to ensure I never lose, because if I do not absolutely out-gun and out-man the enemy, I will lose. I do not know how to control my ships, especially in large battles, and how do I keep a battle from descending into utter chaos?

Just the other day in a battle with the Polish fleet I had 6 2nd rates, a 3rd rate admiral, and 2 4th rates. The Poles had 3 2nd rates, and 4 3rd rates. I lost my admiral, 5 2nd rates, and one 4th rate, while I captured one 3rd rate and defeated the rest of the Poles. I vastly outnumbered and outgunned them, yet suffered horrendous losses.

I simply cannot command and control my fleets. Does anyone have a step-by-step guide to improving naval capabilities? Even some pointers would help. Feel free to post whatever. You won't offend me: I already admitted I suck.
AuthorReplies:
Thrashmad
Mariner
posted 05-13-10 06:59 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Feeling a bit lazy (and not being that good with naval battles myself), I will link some guides.
This guide gives some basic tips and instructions. This one is a both tactic and strategy guide. And finally a guide to a special sort of formation for larger battles.

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 05-14-10 05:18 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
I suck at the naval battles too mate, I try to avoid them until I am a seafaring bully like Gaius said somewhere.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Pitt
Commodore
posted 05-14-10 09:38 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
Try playing lots of one-on-one or 2-2 ship battles. You can also get the hang of it by attacking merchantmen or isolated

When you get to large engagements, however, it becomes harder as micro-management gets more awkward.

I try to cripple my naval rivals before they can get to first rates, and I tend to make my fleets fairly heavy on for 5th Rates.

Group ships by type into small formations and in line astern formation. It's easier to keep track of their movements. If used correctly it can also allow several ships in succession to pummel a single enemy with broadsides.

Just remember one basic principle: concentration of firepower.

If you have smaller ships (which will be faster and more manoeuverable), use them to peck away at enemy ships. You can also use chainshot to wreck an enemy's sails, making them easy game.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
TKwarrior17
Mariner
posted 05-14-10 02:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Yeah I've been playing some naval battles and seeing how much I can stretch myself. Today I set up a battle as Great Britain vs the United Provinces and I had the Victory, 2 Heavy 1st Rates, 2 3rd rates, 2 steamships, a rocket ship, and a carronade frigate. The UP had 3 Heavy First rates, 4 Second Rates, and 4 Fluyts. I very narrowly won by putting my ships in line formation and cutting a path through the Dutch fleet, right between their Second Rates, and obliterated both Second Rates on either side of my line, and the best part was they couldn't even fire back.

It was my first battle using rocket ships too, and I thought they were the sweetest thing ever. The next battle I played was 14 rocket ships vs 14 rocket ships.

EDIT: Oh, and I got my entire line to encircle the last 4 remaining Dutch Fluyts. I was firing at them from three sides. Needless to say, they were obliterated.

[This message has been edited by tkwarrior17 (edited 05-14-2010 @ 02:21 PM).]

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 05-15-10 09:38 AM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Yeah, I like cutting the line. I tend to do it in two or three places, and micromanage to keep the ships moving. Another nice trick is keeping the autofire off until you get within a decently close range, then flicking it on. It's more effective than a broadside when breaking a line because the cannons appear to be aimed at the ships instead of being fired in a straight line.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
TKwarrior17
Mariner
posted 05-15-10 10:59 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
Yeah, it's about the only strategy I've thought of/used.
Clausewitz
Mariner
posted 06-12-10 09:22 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Cutting the line definitely seems to be the way to go and is historically the most effective way of doing things.
If its possible i also like to get a line of 3 or so ships in front of the enemy line then micro them into an arc so they can all fire on the enemy's front ship at once, then while their held up i slip my other ships into the enemy's line or behind it to create another arc hitting the last ship in the line. This generally results in a few minutes of hefty damage before the enemy get their act together and by then you usually have a numerical advantage as well as much better hull strength and cannon numbers. However this doesn't really work with huge fleets due to the micromanagement needed, 7 or 8 is the absolute limit and it works best with 2 or 3 1st to 3rd rates in the front arc and 4th or 5th rates doing the rest.
hope this helps, its a tactic thats one me lots of battles in the campaign.

laws are like sausages, its best not to see them being made...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames