We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Naval battles? What's that?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Naval battles? What's that?
shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 02-10-10 09:32 AM EDT (US)         
First of all welcome back to me, I drift from game to game so I havent been on in a while.

Dumb question: Is downwind when you have the wind to your back or is it when you are going against it?

Im having troubles with naval battles. I usually start with the wind if possible or ill send out 3 sloops Downqwind To block enemies ships from manuevering. Then ill send my larger ships in a line downwind or crosswind to broadside.

The problem arises when they turn thier ships around and start getting out of formation. I get destoryed. Even when I get multiple ships to surrender, I still somehow end up getting my 3 or 4 ships beat by the last few enemy ships.

Any advice or refrences would be amazing. Thanks in Advance.

Aspiring scientist and millitary enthusiast.

I tend to be long-winded. Thanks for any help.
AuthorReplies:
BastWorshiper
Sensei
posted 02-10-10 02:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 9       
If you are moving downwind, you have the wind at your back. However, if you are downwind from the enemy, you are in a bad place (unless you are fleeing), because that means you will need to go against the wind to close with them.

These articles may help you. Generally, I would say try to isolate individual ships and take them on with most of your ships, exercising local superiority. Sometimes it's hard to get the AI to break its formations, but IMO it is worth sacrificing a small ship to disrupt their lines. Play to your strengths: If you have small fast ships, surround your enemy and move whichever ships the enemy ship is focusing on out of range while continuing to engage with the rest. If you have big ships, get in close, and beat your enemy into submission. I'm not very good at naval battles, yet; but I improve with each one I fight.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 02-10-10 11:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Thanks for the quick reply.I will look into that link.

Im playing as UP right now and its kind of annoying because I have to set the battle difficulty at easy to have any chance in a naval battle, but my land battle skills are medium-hard range so land battles are wayy to easy.

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-11-10 07:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
Concentrate your fire on one enemy ship at a time to get them to sink, rout or surrender quickly. Start with their strongest and work your way down. Try and get upwind of them so you have the advantage of the wind. Don't crash into ships (your own or the enemies) because the AI always seems to get the advantage there.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 02-12-10 08:20 AM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
Yea thanks Gaius, Long time no see.

Ive accually got a "Decisive Victory" or two early in my UP campaign with these tips.

I do tend to loose ships more than d like to trying to board them, even after a good broadside of grapeshot on a busted hull.

Pitt
Commodore
posted 02-15-10 07:58 AM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
If you're not fighting large-scale battles with many ships on each side, and you feel like taking your time, you can just concentrate on destroying the sails of enemy ships one at a time. A few broadsides will usually be enough to slow a ship significantly; as it drops out of formation you can repeat the process with the next ship.

Provided the AI doesn't manage to box you in, or get a few lucky shots and dismast some of your ships, you should be able to isolate individual ships and defeat them in detail. You can hover at extreme range and deliver broadsides into their bows or sterns, where they only have a few (if any) guns. When dismasted their morale usually becomes shaky.

Alternatively, you can close into point blank range and unleash a withering broadside of grapeshot across their bow/stern. It's often enough to force a surrender.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-01-10 05:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9       
I suck at the naval battles. Generally they get auto resolved unless the odds are stacked against me.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-03-10 12:58 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
Also, use the pause button a lot until you get the hang of the battles. That's what it's there for.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

steace43
Mariner
posted 03-06-10 05:57 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
If you're not fighting large-scale battles with many ships on each side, and you feel like taking your time, you can just concentrate on destroying the sails of enemy ships one at a time.
I love that tactic, I originally planned to use it to immobilize the enemy so that I could then move into a position where I could shoot them without them being able to shoot back, but quickly discovered that it's so much more then that, since 99% of the time, a ship that lost all its masts and sails will surrender, and even just getting the sails heavily damaged is usually enough to make them rout. Considering that it's allot easier and faster to get the sails down, assuming you line up your broadsides correctly, then it is to get the hull down. Additionally, if you're going for the sails, then the enemy become slower and easier to outmaneuver as the fight progress, and unlike hull, there is only 1 health bar for sails, so they can't just turn the other side against you and keep on fighting.

Keep in mind though that it is actually an advantage to have the enemy between you and where the wind is comming from when using this strategy, unlike most other tactics, since if the enemy has the wind comming from behind them, then all their sails will be up, so your broadside will be allot less likely to miss, and if it hits, it will do allot more damage, which can be increased even further by making sure that you're firing either from the bow or stern of the enemy ship so that you hit all their sails and masts. I've completely demasted brigs and sloops with 1 volley from a 5th rate several times by doing that.

By using this tactic, I've become pretty much invincible on the sea, and have taken on full stacks of mixed hostile ships (everything from sloops up to 5th rates) with a single 5th rate of my own and captured pretty much their whole fleet (since no sails=surrender=captured). Admittedly, this was on m/m since this is my first campaign and I wanted to get the hang of it before increasing the difficulty, but still.

Just keep in mind that while you definitely want to focus fire and start getting rid of hostile ships asap, damage to the hostile sails is so extremely much higher when fired at a targets stern or bow compared to if it's fired from the side that if you have a choice between firing on the hostile ship with the lowest amount of sail hp left from the side or turning a bit to fire into the bow/stern of a different ship with undamaged sails, then you should definitely go for the undamaged ship.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
fluffy0000
Mariner
posted 03-07-10 03:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
I am the worst at naval engagements that usually end up with my ships taking a one way trip to davy jones locker.
Playing as UP makes you micro manage navys over several theaters with the massive pirate fleets with galleons dropping in on my fleets. Flynts are awesome ships but those pirate galleons have superior hull strengths and infinite cannons.
my settings are camp. normal - battle play hard/very hard

I lose focus on UP campaign play with to much naval engagements and balancing my trade . affects my UP land units performance.

I end up pushing the auto resolve and taking my lumps.

my navy blows.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames