We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Big ship= big weakness
Bottom
Topic Subject:Big ship= big weakness
Zippokovich
Mariner
posted 11-13-09 06:02 PM EDT (US)         
This is more an exclamation of an event that happened in my game than a question or anything but holly hell i didnt expect what happened.

Im played Prussia on my first play through of the grand campaign and at about 1750 i have a massive amount of money coming in. So i decide to expand into some prestige sea vessels; having always been a land force and needing to take on the likes of Denmark.

So i naturally build 2 fleets of 6 heavy first rates - im very inexperienced at naval battles so i can't control any more.

So i attack Austria and Britain declares war on me - fine, im sure i can buy peace later. But while i could i wanted to break in my two new super fleets, so i set about praying on GB's navy. They are made up of about 10 brigs or flyrts per fleet - no match for my ships, or so i thought.

I was praying on my 4th navy with the same fleet and all seemed the same as before - i split into two lines, drew up alongside and pounded the tiny ships.

I'd taken out most of their navy when i noticed a small explosion; one of the brigs had detonated right next to one of my heavys. Within seconds the massive ship's sails were ablaze. I was thinking at this point 'crap thats going to cost alot to repair'...

Then the ship began to rout as the burning masts collapsed onto the crew below. Seconds later, to my horror there was a massive explosion, the one mighty ship broke in half and sank.

So yeh, i learned to not let ships fire at point blank range, but has anyone else had this - where a massive ship is taken out by an almost kamikaze smaller one?
AuthorReplies:
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 11-13-09 07:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Yes I have seen small ships explode like that and take out another, much bigger ship. There was one post on a thread wherein the person described a chain reaction of explosions like that that wiped out his fleet or close to it, if I remember correctly.

In any case, V 1.5 has made smaller ships better in battle than the big expensive ships and CA hasn't justified why they broke naval combat that way (or they haven't said so that I'm aware of).

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 11-13-09 07:14 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
No, but i always use kamikazes attacks, since im so bad. I fail at controling, so i send a brig against a first or 2th rate, boom it exsplodes and i take the ship with me. Dont looks so good on prestige if i loose tho.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
Zippokovich
Mariner
posted 11-14-09 07:34 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Yeh im reluctant to patch at all, i hear its mucked up alot of things.

Im not atchually crazy on naval combat - its to stiff and clunky. I think CA could really learn from 'East India Company' the naval combat in that was fun, intuitive and involving
Cauchpotato
Vice-Admiral
posted 11-15-09 03:14 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
Fire was one of the greatest threats back then and if a ship was set alight, it was almost impossible to put out. Fire could strike any ship, large or small. There are accounts of smaller ships setting large ships-of-the-line ablaze in the midst of battle.

CA have done a good job to replicate the effects of fire in naval battles, especially setting other ships alight and the effect on morale.

Wyrd bid ful araed
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but of the best shots. (Voltaire)
Pitt
Commodore
posted 11-15-09 04:27 AM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Zippokovich, do I understand you still have Patch 1.3?

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Gallowglass
Mariner
posted 11-15-09 10:56 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
I take on the fleets of Spain, Austria, and Sweden with galleys and rocket ships. As soon as the rockets set the enemy ships on fire, then the galleys fire at the crews before they engage them in hand-to-hand combat.

Yes, the larger ships in the game have many disadvantages. They need to be part of a battle line, although the smaller ships can act independently. The largest ships I use are third rates, and those seem ridiculously slow compared to what I usually have. They also take more damage, in proportion, if an enemy ship manages to unleash a broadside.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
Zippokovich
Mariner
posted 11-15-09 07:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
I haven't patched at all - so i have whatever came on the CD

I don't know how to check the version actually
Pitt
Commodore
posted 11-15-09 08:23 PM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
The version number should be displayed at the bottom of the screen when viewing the main men.

You may be our saviour - http://etw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=11&tn=8580&st=5#post6.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Zippokovich
Mariner
posted 11-17-09 12:28 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
It dosnt show a version number anywhere on the main menu screen for some reason...

Now im off to have a massive rant in the land forum

[This message has been edited by Zippokovich (edited 11-17-2009 @ 12:29 PM).]

Pitt
Commodore
posted 11-18-09 03:05 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
The version details should be on the main screen, bottom left. Picture.

[This message has been edited by Pitt (edited 11-18-2009 @ 03:09 AM).]

Zippokovich
Mariner
posted 11-18-09 07:39 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
oh dam, sorry i should have known that - i was looking at an other menu - i have 1.0
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames