We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Help with naval battles?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Help with naval battles?
armenian
Mariner
posted 11-10-09 11:52 PM EDT (US)         
Ok naval battles are rlly new to me and i have no idea how to go about doing them. Now remember this though the biggest my current naval battle will bi is five ships - five ships. All of my ships being Brigs and thiers 2 fifth rates and the rest indiamen. Just whats the general order and whats the best thing to do in a situation when they have a few dominant fifth rate ships that can easily wipe out my briggs with a good broadside.
AuthorReplies:
Pitt
Commodore
posted 11-11-09 00:10 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Try and cripple the 5th rates by destroying their sails. Hang about at extreme range and use chainshot. It might take a while, and you'll have to keep an eye on the direction the wind's blowing, but you should get the hang of it after a while.

Indiamen don't pose much threat; though they have relatively strong hulls, they have very few cannon.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
BastWorshiper
Sensei
posted 11-12-09 11:38 AM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
Try and cripple the 5th rates by destroying their sails.
Absolutely right. If you can get well ahead of their ships with yours; so they're chasing you. You can quickly turn and let loose a barrage of chainshot and turn back before they can turn a broadside towards you. This has the added advantage that you are firing from their front with their sails square to you and they are usually at full sails trying to chase you down. Even if you are just in range of the enemy cannon, they will not continue to turn their broadside to you if you straighten out and are running away again, because by the time they finish their turn you will be out of range; so when you straigten up, they will, too.

Once the enemy sails have been shredded, they are essentially dead in the water; and you can work your way around to their stern (you can often get very close to them at this point) and fire roundshot or grapeshot into their stern, until they route. Then, chase them down and capture those fifth-rates to incorporate into your fleet.

That doesn't seem very articulate, in re-reading my post; but hopefully, the point still made it through my poor description.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 11-12-09 12:26 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
"This has the added advantage that you are firing from their front with their sails square to you and they are usually at full sails trying to chase you down"

If you (or they) are sailing into the wind then their sails are furled. This makes chainshot less effective. I haven't done enough testing to see if the effectiveness drop is a lot or only a little but, common sense would say it's a lot less effective when their sails are up.

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
BastWorshiper
Sensei
posted 11-12-09 03:07 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
If you (or they) are sailing into the wind then their sails are furled. This makes chainshot less effective.
True.

I assumed that if you are leading a chase, you are downwind and running with the wind; but you know what happens when we assume.

I should have specified to "run with the wind."

Also, while I haven't done extensive testing, either, it appears to me (anecdotally) that the effectiveness of chainshot drops of significantly with their sails furled.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)

[This message has been edited by BastWorshiper (edited 11-12-2009 @ 03:09 PM).]

Pitt
Commodore
posted 11-12-09 06:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
The effectiveness drops enormously. With the sails furled it's really hard to do more than nominal damage to them. You'd essentially be relying on knocking down a mast, which can sometimes take a dozen or more broadsides.

It might be my imagination, but sometimes the AI seems to realise what I'm doing and furl sails, or turn slightly into the wind to have the same effect, before I can finish destroying the sails.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 11-12-09 09:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
Pitt, I have to say one of the last naval battles I had I got the same impression. I was using chain and got a few broadsides in on them but suddenly every time I turned to fire they would turn into the wind and their sails went up faster than the prom queen's dress. It's nice to see the AI being somewhat proactive like that but it annoyed me as well because it took that much longer to pull their masts down.

And Bast, sorry I didn't mean to nit-pick like that.

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.

[This message has been edited by Warguppy (edited 11-12-2009 @ 09:24 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames