We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » 1.4 Naval Rebalancing
Bottom
Topic Subject:1.4 Naval Rebalancing
halberd
Mariner
posted 09-28-09 07:02 PM EDT (US)         

Me crippling and defeating a heavy first rate with only a sixth rate.

It still doesn't make sense that lighter ships have more range and accuracy than larger ships.
AuthorReplies:
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 10-02-09 01:13 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Nice picture but it looks like our worst fears re the naval rebalancing have come true. Naval battles were pretty much perfect in 1.3 I thought.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 10-02-09 06:37 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
I dont mind cus i got a best m8 when i play naval battles and its called "Auto resolve" god bless that button.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 10-03-09 03:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
That doesn't look very good. A sixth rate shouldn't be able to defeat a first rate, else what's the point of having one of the latter?

Hussarknight
Brongar
Mariner
posted 10-03-09 04:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
Yeah but that was 1 vs 1 .... if there was 10 on each side the micro management would kill you... and then the 1st rates would still get opportunistic shots on the frigates... At the end of the day that's how English sunk the Spanish armada innit?:P
Pitt
Commodore
posted 10-04-09 07:29 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
The English ships were smaller and more agile, but they didn't really sink the Spanish Armada: the weather did that.

I take your point about micro-management, but it still seems silly to be able to defeat a 1st rate with a small frigate. In reality no frigate would dare attack a 1st rate, let alone win.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Primo
Mariner
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 10-05-09 03:24 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
So there is no point bothering with more expensive ships, thus naval is about as advanced as it was in the days of M2TW.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
KIWI TYRANT
Mariner
posted 10-05-09 03:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
5th Rate is the biggest extent you need to go then?!

Relatively fast, 500 range with high reload and accuracy.

....unless you utilize steam ship power to negate the chainshot effect.

"...the strong did what they could, and the weak suffered what they must" - Thucydides
halberd
Mariner
posted 10-06-09 01:17 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
The problem is that it was so easy to win. All I had to do was cross the T downwind and the first rate couldn't do a thing about it.
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 10-07-09 01:56 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
May I ask what battle difficulty you were playing when that battle occurred Halberd?
halberd
Mariner
posted 10-07-09 09:42 AM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
I think it was on hard.
USAspecops
Mariner
posted 12-15-09 05:05 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
It is mainly a numbers thing. In the real world you could pull that off so long as you were faster and more agile. In reality you could not out range them but you could turn faster so if you would turn faster then them they could never bring their broadside to bare and then you only had to deal with the chasers. You can hurt what you can't catch. A sixth rate could stay on the front and slowly chip you down. Though it would most likely be a draw because a 1st would never surrender to a 6th. The best the 6th could hope is to imobilize the 1st and make a get away. This is why 1st traveled with frigates.
rhoops
Mariner
posted 01-18-10 04:29 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
...Admiral Cochrane anybody...?

Pax Romana.. Pax Britannia.. Pax Americana..INTERREGNUM RHOOPSIUM
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames