We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Cannonade for two?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Cannonade for two?
Waffentraeger
Mariner
(id: Daelon)
posted 09-24-09 11:57 PM EDT (US)         
Who uses the Cannonade frigate? And how? Do tell.
AuthorReplies:
rferrier
Mariner
posted 09-25-09 06:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 3       
You have to work in really close.

If you have other ships that can keep your enemy distracted, they're very useful. You can also keep them interspersed in a line with other, larger ships. They really are effective in the same way rocket or bomb ships are. I.e, you don't really pay much attention and then suddenly your third rate explodes.
HermannTLombard
Mariner
posted 09-25-09 06:42 PM EDT (US)     2 / 3       
Carronade Frigates are finishers, ideal to send in against bigger ships that have already been slowed and weakened, and as rferrier suggests they can be used for sneaky kills if they get overlooked.

My mind is like a steel sieve.
Smileyman007
Mariner
posted 09-27-09 04:11 AM EDT (US)     3 / 3       
I sometimes use Carronade Frigates in my main battle fleets as a replacement for normal frigates (5th and 6th rates). Essentially their role is one of mopping up a battle (delivering that final blow to force an enemy to route, similar to what others here have discussed) and chasing down routers. But in late game this role falls to Razees.

However, as their range and hull strength is far too short to be effective as a Ship of the Line, I most like to use Carronade Frigates in their own small fleets to take care of smaller problems. Essentially I use them to guard the homefront and keep sea trade lanes and ports open. They are cheaper and faster to build than larger Ships of the Line but maintain similar levels of firepower, making them great counter-raiders. A couple Carronade Frigates used effectively should easily defeat small to medium-sized fleets of Sloops/Brigs/Indiamen/Dhows/Light Galleys/Galleys that the computer likes to use as raiding fleets. They can even do reasonably well against larger ships like Fluyts and Galleons found around in the seas around North America and Africa.

I've found them to be very cost-effective in this role.

No, I'm not being sarcastic.

[This message has been edited by Smileyman007 (edited 09-27-2009 @ 04:13 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames