We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Tales of Daring From the Merchant Marine...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Tales of Daring From the Merchant Marine...
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 09-03-09 07:48 PM EDT (US)         
As the title suggests, have you had any battles using merchant ships that you did far better than you expected to do?

For me, one happened just today. Playing on normal difficulty I (the UP) was attacked by the Mughals using a second rate and a fifth rate with 2 sloops coming in as their reinforcements. I had a galleon and a fluyt. I played out the battle rather than auto-resolve hoping to at least sink one ship.

They came on with the wind and I stayed perpendicular to their line of approach figuring I might as well try to get as many broadsides in on them as possible while they were bow-on to me. I decided to use chain since I figured maybe I could slow one or both down and live a little longer.

The 5th rate ran ahead of the 2nd rate so I had to deal with him first. I got enough shots in to destroy all but one of his masts. So he was almost a mission kill though he could still make headway. Next it was the 2nd rate with the 2 sloops coming in fast.

I managed to stay ahead of the 2nd rate and dismasted the sloops though not completely so. But I killed their admiral so they lost the will to fight pretty fast. I then proceeded to zig-zag and circle in front of the 2nd rate firing chain all the while. He got in a couple broadsides but they were at a far range and pretty much ineffective.

Eventually I managed to knock down all his masts til he was DIW (dead in the water for those not familar with the term). A mission kill though I still had to stay out of his side arcs since he wasn't striking his colours.

On comes the tenacious 5th rate and I knock his masts completely down. VICTORY!

I lost minimal guns and crew (maybe 15 guns and 30 or 40 crew?) and destroyed a far superior fleet.

Any other tales of merchant marine bravery?

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.

[This message has been edited by Warguppy (edited 09-04-2009 @ 08:53 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 09-04-09 04:06 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
Sadly I don't have any tales, but well done on your great victory!

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 09-04-09 08:51 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
Thanks! As an addendum to the original post, it doesn't even need to be a battle you've won with merchant ships, just one that you did a lot better than expected (for example having a fleet of dhows sink a 6th rate even though the dhows were all wiped out).

GSROCKS
Mariner
posted 09-05-09 00:06 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
HAHA good going warguppy. I dont think i would have survived that encounter. The only story I have is when i had 3 Indiamen merchant ships and they went up against a surprisingly good fluyt (even though the AI was normal) the fluyt got off a lucky shot and lit up one of my ships BOOM then I decided to go all in and just grapeshotted away with my last 2 ships. one sunk which left it to my last indiamen ship to board. they had 20 more ppl now but somehow or rather they surrendered and i got a fluyt out of my troubles. =)
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 09-05-09 01:03 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
Rocks that is good (and exactly what I mean by the thread)! Fluyts are tough boats to go against. Good job!

Soleb
Mariner
posted 09-10-09 06:46 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
I personally prefer the galleon, if i can capture one i will, then fix it up and sent it out to the trade theaters to guard my indiamen. and the good thing about the dhow is its low cost and upkeep but you get as much out of it as a bigger trade ship.

If you must cross thin ice, dance your way across
Thrashmad
Mariner
posted 09-11-09 04:41 AM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
I in my campaign as France, Britain has (finally declared war on me after about 50 turns after the campaign started. they attacked on of my trade fleets, that consisted of 3 galleons that I had captured from the pirates, and one brig. They had 4 ships too, 1 4th rate, 1 galleon they had captured and 2 other ships. The strange thing about the battle is that the balance of power meter was showing that the British was a little bit more powerful than me, despite the fact that many cannons on the British ships was destroyed in earlier battles, which made it not so hard for me to win the battle. Their hulls wasn't so damaged, nor was their crew depleted in large numbers. I guess the balance of power metere doesn't account for the number of cannons.

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 09-11-09 11:39 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
I wonder if it assumes the ships are at undamaged capacity or maybe that warships are intrinsically stronger than merchant ships, regardless of what type of merchant ship it is?

Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 09-22-09 03:57 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I dont have any bravery stories about any of my merchant ships in any of mine campaign, yes im the born admiral i could loose a battle with 10:1

But once i did a custom battle 2 indi vs 1 gally. It went very smooth, i tried to board their gally, unfortunally i shoot one boardside from my other indi, it exsploded the gally and i lost the indi. My luck in naval battle.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
HermannTLombard
Mariner
posted 09-25-09 06:39 PM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
Warguppy, the fact that you pulled off that victory with 1.3 shows how ridiculous the 1.4 changes to chainshot are.

My mind is like a steel sieve.
halberd
Mariner
posted 09-26-09 11:08 PM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
This is my admiral being attacked by a full stack of ships somewhere off the cost of Italy.

Yes, those are all Indiamen and they were all captured or sunk.

[This message has been edited by halberd (edited 09-26-2009 @ 11:10 PM).]

Mastah
Mariner
posted 10-20-09 10:10 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
One of my greatest naval encounter was to destroy a 2nd rate with the brig. One on one. Brig is much faster than 2nd rate so I just stayed a little bit in front, like so:
        2222222 - his ship    > - direction of the ship  
BBBB - my ship > - direction of the ship
I kept on taking out his masts until he surrendered.

Fixed diagram - Hussarknight

[This message has been edited by Hussarknight (edited 11-01-2009 @ 05:19 AM).]

Warguppy
Mariner
posted 10-31-09 07:39 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
Oh my god that must have taken ages Mas. Was it a no time limit battle?

Gallowglass
Mariner
posted 11-15-09 05:42 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
I send rocket ships and bomb ketches into the trading areas, hunting for enemy Indiamen. They are unable to defend themselves against the long-range bombardment, and most of them catch fire. They blow up before they can escape, and a few are captured. It's always fun.

Those ships are also good against anything up to a third rate, and I've taken on heavy first rates before with three rocket ships, and a galley to capture it when it routed. I had been planning that for a while, though, as the ship was Spanish, and its army of ten mortars was so useless that its presence was annoying me...

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames