Were sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Don't Give up the Ship!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Don't Give up the Ship!
Tranquilis
Mariner
posted 08-07-09 07:30 PM EDT (US)         
Hello all. I was playing last night and I had a brig in the Mediterranean that was making its way to blockade Austrian ports. I ended up in a battle with the Barbary pirates, fought and destroyed a galley. I followed up with an attack on another single galley nearby, lit it up with cannonfire and then drew in close to board the ship. Next thing I know, I see my sailors bailing out of the boat and combat ended... no explanation as to why my sailors abandoned a perfectly sea-worthy ship. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tranquilis
AuthorReplies:
OctavianIV
Mariner
posted 08-08-09 00:22 AM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
The enemy could've used some grapeshot to kill a chunk of your men in one go - that's usually bad for morale...

Also - Did they have more men on their ship than you had on yours? Galleys are deceptively small, as they can carry a large crew.

A right-angled triangle has sides a, b, and c, and a<b<c. a+c=49.
Find the area of the triangle.
"It is not the job of Mathematicians to do correct arithmetical operations - that is the job of bank accountants". - Shatunovskiy
Pitt
Commodore
posted 08-08-09 08:01 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Was there an exchange of gunfire before you moved in to board? Galleys are very low to the water, and a shot from one might have holed your ship low down, and whilst you were manoeuvering the hole might have been exposed to the water.

Since it was the Med I'm assuming it wasn't a rough sea. Were you doing some sharp turns?

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins

[This message has been edited by Pitt (edited 08-08-2009 @ 08:02 AM).]

Tranquilis
Mariner
posted 08-09-09 11:07 AM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
The enemy ship barely even hit my brig with any shots, and I hadn't actually started boarding when my men bailed out of the ship. But yes, I was doing hard maneuvering while trying to come alongside to board. I'm not entirely sure what happened, perhaps they rammed it as I was crossing in front of the ship. Thanks for the ideas!
GSROCKS
Mariner
posted 08-30-09 02:59 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Well this has happened to me once. I had an admirals flagship (5th rate) and i went up against a galley. i drew up along side it and pummeled it into the sea till it exploded. a tiny fire caught on my deck and all the crew started to bail. The ship looked perfectly fine and if the battle had continued then maybe I could anchor and put out the fire.

Maybe they just do that if the ships on fire and the battle has ended leaving no time to put it out. Who knows?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames