We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Wind against you? A very quick tip.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Wind against you? A very quick tip.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08-01-09 07:48 AM EDT (US)         
I seem to end up deploying with the wind dead against me quite a bit and it frustrated me until I found a useful way around it.

When fighting the computer, your deployment area is a lot larger than theirs. Move to the extreme limit of either side and the wind won't be quite side on but it won't be into your bows either.

You will start the battle quite a distance from the enemy so you can use that time to improve your position. Start tacking against the wind (approx 45 degrees off) and you will get reasonable speed while ensuring that by the time your ships engage, your position is more favourable than theirs.

Any other tips for this kind of situation?

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

AuthorReplies:
LordTaeglan
Mariner
posted 08-19-09 11:14 AM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
I found that zig-zagging towards the wind helps you go a little faster than just going straight towards it. It may be just me though.

Nobody knows exactly where the entity known as Stephen Hill came from. He was found fully formed at the height of a storm and is believed to have come to Earth from a distant world where human qualities of fashion and beauty did not exist, which explains a lot. Constructed mostly of hatred and contempt, wrapped up in a pathetic human shell, Stephen comes fully equipped with his Antarian death coat, his Pen of Rage +2, and a variety of useful headgear
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 08-19-09 12:28 PM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Yes Taeg that I believe is called close hauling. .

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
LordTaeglan
Mariner
posted 08-19-09 12:30 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
I knew it had some technical name but I couldn't think of it. Thanks

Nobody knows exactly where the entity known as Stephen Hill came from. He was found fully formed at the height of a storm and is believed to have come to Earth from a distant world where human qualities of fashion and beauty did not exist, which explains a lot. Constructed mostly of hatred and contempt, wrapped up in a pathetic human shell, Stephen comes fully equipped with his Antarian death coat, his Pen of Rage +2, and a variety of useful headgear
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08-19-09 03:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Also known as "tacking against the wind". It's very slow though and the ships will move much faster if they are side on with the win. The closer they are to directly against the wind, the slower your fleet will be.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames