We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » I have to be the worst admiral ever....
Bottom
Topic Subject:I have to be the worst admiral ever....
shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 07-30-09 08:19 PM EDT (US)         
Ive been doing some small naval practice battles with both armies consisting of 2 sixth rates and 2 sloops, and I havent won a battle yet. I cant seem to keep all my units moving at one time. I focus on one group of my ships and then forget about my smaller ships, while they get pounded into routing. I wont even attempt a large scale battle (with 10+ ships)because im so intimidated by it!

I use the line formation mostly and keep and anything smaller than a sixth rate (sloops in this case) away from the line to get fore or aft on a ship for some devestating shots.

I always try to keep down wind, but I always get turned around in the course of battle.

I guess im looking for any tips on how to keep all my ships involved at the same time instead of switching from one group while the other gets pounded. Also strategies or links would be great!

Aspiring scientist and millitary enthusiast.

I tend to be long-winded. Thanks for any help.

[This message has been edited by shadowdrummer46 (edited 07-30-2009 @ 08:42 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08-01-09 07:44 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
I always try to keep down wind, but I always get turned around in the course of battle.
You don't need to have the wind directly behind you to make good speed and as you've noticed, it makes turning about very difficult. It would be better to keep the wind side on to allow ease of coming about.

Use the pause button a lot. Naval battles can be hard to get the hang of until you practice them lots.
Make it a little easier on yourself at first and give yourself slightly more powerful ships than the enemy. Once you're confident there, you can change to a more even balance.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

shadowdrummer46
Mariner
posted 08-02-09 04:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Thanks for the tips Gaius.

I just feel kinda cheating with an uneven fight. If I wanna get good, I gotta learn to fight forces that far outnumber me. It makes sense to use uneven fights to learn the controls and such.

Its really the problem I have in real life, I like to make things harder on myself to strive for perfection. Im deffinitly an All-or-Nothing person.

Im sure everyone here was just dying for that insite on my life....LOL

Aspiring scientist and millitary enthusiast.

I tend to be long-winded. Thanks for any help.

[This message has been edited by shadowdrummer46 (edited 08-02-2009 @ 04:50 AM).]

Warguppy
Mariner
posted 08-02-09 11:39 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
I can relate shad. But in order to fly one must first learn to crawl then walk (Nietzsche).

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
Randomhero44
Mariner
posted 08-03-09 01:14 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
I find the best way to win naval battles is to get upwind from the enemy to let him come on with all his canvas flapping in the wind then tack back and forth while hitting his sails at first it will seem useless but as the battle draws to an end you'll getid.

[img]http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3086/randomherosignature.jpg[/img]
MUZZIAH
Mariner
posted 09-02-09 03:45 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Real simple way to fight Naval battle with complete ignorance of tactics is to apply a "spin top" style of play with your ships.

Have your ship approach in side to side formation. Attempting to keep up wind and sailing to the front of their fleet, but not essential.

Once your ships come into range. Simply spin, and keep spinning. For concentrated fire, consider which direction you spin. If you have all your ships spinning the same direction and in range. Then they will all unleash their broadsides at the same ship.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09-02-09 05:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
What do you mean by "spin"?
Ships have a turning circle. As far as I know they cannot simply spin on their keel.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

MUZZIAH
Mariner
posted 09-02-09 11:37 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
To spin. By this i mean rotate in either a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction, or as you put it. Keep to their turning circle.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames