We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Wheres The Wind?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Wheres The Wind?
KroNicK
Mariner
posted 07-13-09 07:16 PM EDT (US)         
Im starting this topic because its really starting to annoy me. It seems like every time I play a naval battle the wind is rarely in my favor, especially in the mediterranian. Most of the time its going east, west or south, not north. And trying to manouver a first rate with no wind can be very frustrating. Are any of you guys noticing this or am I just unlucky?
AuthorReplies:
blockeyking3
Mariner
posted 07-14-09 03:26 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
It seems the wind is random, cus once I lost a naval battle, reloaded and approached the enemy from the other side (north rather than south) and still had the wind against me.

It is really annoying
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 07-15-09 07:11 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
Try turning your ships around to face the same direction as the wind as the enemy approach then anchor them. That way, once the enemy ships are moving past yours downwind you can unanchor and follow suit.

I agree that the wind is more often than not against the human player, but it doesn't really effect the game too much. Even if you don't turn your ships as I described above. I typically have two halves of the same fleet formed in two columns - the enemy fleet moves between the two columns and is hammered on both sides. I make sure I keep plenty of Sixth Rate frigates and use them to maneuver after the enemy fleet who will typically be turning around themselves to continue to engage you. The sixth rates are more than mobile enough to continue to pound them during this maneuver and by the time they've completed it your heavier ships have turned to face the enemy too; and now you have the advantage of the wind.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Pitt
Commodore
posted 07-15-09 08:50 AM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
Having the weather gauge is useful but not essential in the game, unless you're heavily outmatched.

The AI will always come at you in a naval battle, so you can do what Afty suggested above.

Historically, holding the weather gauge was a great advantage because it meant you could choose whether to fight or to flee, but this isn't reflected in the game (it would be bloody annoying if it were).

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Thrashmad
Mariner
posted 08-09-09 09:31 AM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
If you have the wind against you, I recommend that you deploy your ships far to the left or right. This way your fleet will at least move perpendicular to the wind.

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08-09-09 01:06 PM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
If you have the wind against you, I recommend that you deploy your ships far to the left or right. This way your fleet will at least move perpendicular to the wind.
Yup. Found that to be the best way to recover from such a situation.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Warguppy
Mariner
posted 08-09-09 02:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
Another option, which I use quite a lot, is deploy your ships perpendicular to the enemy line of advance. You'll get a few shots off on them bow-on and so their ability to return fire (unless they're galleys) is limited. Once they are up closer you can manuever as you would otherwise.

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08-10-09 05:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
You could also try deploying in a curved line, either convex or concave and let the enemy sail within range of your (hopefully) overlapping fields of fire.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Ibuprofen Redux
Mariner
posted 08-11-09 00:00 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
You could also try deploying in a curved line, either convex or concave and let the enemy sail within range of your (hopefully) overlapping fields of fire.
Quoted for truth, but I think concave is really the best way to go.

I don't really care about the wind, since all I use are steamships XD

"...angry men must also be strong, if they would achieve their purpose."
-Livy

[This message has been edited by Ibuprofen Redux (edited 08-11-2009 @ 00:01 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames