We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Late game navy
Bottom
Topic Subject:Late game navy
blockeyking3
Mariner
posted 07-13-09 05:05 PM EDT (US)         
The year: 1741
The nation: France
The difficulty: H/H
Territories owned: 44
At war with:
Norway (Iceland and Denmark)
Barbary States (all original territories)
Huron Confed, Plains Nations, Inuit nation.

My navy is rubbish (only one semi decent fleet) and at this stage I can't see any worth in a fleet, as Pirates, England and UP are eliminated.I have one fleet which is taking the Caribbean with an army, 2 ships holding back Norway, 2-3 ships holding back the Barbary states and one single boat as a transport to England.

How much money could I make from a trade fleet? Is a navy necessary?

Blokey
AuthorReplies:
Ecthelion
Mariner
(id: p90pro)
posted 07-14-09 06:24 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Depending on how many trade ships you have and the value of whatever is being traded, you stand to make up to around 2000 a turn off of one trade node.

Scout the different trade areas to find an empty node, park your ship on it and wait until your trade fleet arrives.
Look for enemy trade routes to take over.

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 07-14-09 07:24 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
Beware when leaving ships unguarded on the trade nodes in the trade theatres post patch 1.3 - before you could leave a fleet on a node the entire game and the AI wouldn't bother it at all but now they will frequently attack your trade ships. The main antagonists being the pirates, Spain and Marathas in my experience.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
GSROCKS
Mariner
posted 12-14-09 11:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
Well I posted this somewhere else in the campaign section but its still relevant to this post so here it is.

Well I just love my trade income. I managed to monopolise all the trade theaters with captured galleons from a Spanish full stack fleet (It needed some first rates to take) and now thanks to my trade im pulling in 56 thousand a turn as Great Britain, 35 of which come from trade.

Captain: Sally up the main mast and tell me what you see
Jenkins: But sir...........Its a rowboat.
Captain: Well um, err, yes I knew that.
TKwarrior17
Mariner
posted 01-25-10 00:43 AM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
That late in the game with no trade? Sounds like you need to make some trade wars, depending on what nations occupy the trade nodes, and the value of the goods being traded. And, you may not need a fleet too badly, but its worth having preventative fleets stationed near rival ports, especially ones that you have poor relations with. Typically that would be the Ottomans, Russians, Swedes, Prussians, and Austrians. Luckily, only Sweden typically has much of a fleet. The Ottomans have a multitude of ports, but seeing as they are typically one of the poorest nations because they lack in the technology department, especially with naval research. What I always do is use Indiamans (only 50g a turn compared to Brigs and Sloops, which are more than twice that amount) and put them right next to their wealthiest port (if unguarded by a fleet). Wherever their main fleet is, build yourself a better fleet (I hope you upgraded Brest) and attack when you're ready. If you do not have any adjacent territories, or you have a choke point you can hold them at with your army; i.e. Denmark's straits, the bridge between the Netherlands and Flanders, the mountain pass between Savoy and France (next to Nice), then destroy their fleet and take all their ports with your Indiamans. Now their income will be substantially weakened (especially if they are relying on overseas trade) and you can basically make them agree to a treaty of your liking after they've lost enough money for a few turns. I did this with Sweden as GB and they gave me Norway and Denmark in return for a couple technologies, peace, and a trade agreement. I even got an alliance with them a couple turns later. It's a way of capturing territory without pissing anyone off, not having to pay a large army to quell unrest, and your enemy will forget you even had a war 15 turns later, especially if you make a trade agreement and alliance with them. Navies are more important in ETW than any other TW game. Do not underestimate the impact naval warfare can have on your economy. I did the first time I ever played the game as France, and GB absolutely crushed my economy and was able to take almost all my colonies. I haven't made that mistake since.
KO66
Banned
posted 01-31-10 07:06 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
Throughout the whole game I try to make different trade navies and send them all around the trade areas.
I have to do this because a war can start suddenly and you may end up only with the trade from your trade navies.

And don't forget (like I always do) that when playing as the United Provinces you start out with a trade navy around Indonesia.
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 02-01-10 09:11 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
A trade fleet can give you some very nice income, as for me I earn very much in my French campaign, this is because i got a superior navy to anyone else and have monopole on evey trading spot.

The trick about the French is to defeat GB and UP early on, this give you some time and many ports in Europe. Make the one you dont trade with to shipyards. Thees should build a strong navy. Trade ships should be sent from America, but defeat the pirates early on, it gives you to shipyards.

If you want to force someone into peace or maybe even an alliance and some terotories. Then block all their ports and send some soldiers to do gurilla warfare. I find cavalery the best kind of soldier to use gurilla warfare. They move far on the map, then you can take many buildings in the same turn. After a couple of turns your enemy will go bankrupt, or atleast loose vast amount of money.

As said before by tkwarrior, navy is very importan in ETW. A strong navy is the way to go if you wanna be rich.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames