We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Fluyts: the Q-ship of the game
Bottom
Topic Subject:Fluyts: the Q-ship of the game
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 07-04-09 12:12 PM EDT (US)         
I've found in the early to mid game for the UP fluyts are the way to go quite often as far as warships go. Fairly strong in both armament and hull strength, these ships are great for early game fleets.

The battle that sold me on them the most I think was when my lone fluyt went against a brig, 2 sloops and 3 light galleys and not only won but barely sustained any damage worth noting. I thing I still had 90% of my guns after the battle.

When 2nd rates come out it's a bit harder then (at least for me). I'm still trying to get the hang of larger fleet battles.

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 07-05-09 03:21 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Fluyts are wonderful ships indeed. In battle, they can stand up to almost all ships you encounter early on, and in the campaign they can act as trade ships and earn you money!

Hussarknight
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 07-05-09 07:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
I had a stack of fluyts in the Brazilian trade zone stand up to, and win against a stack of pirates that included 2 galleons and a 4th Rate.

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 07-06-09 11:45 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
Sounds interesting. Makes it all the more sensible to try the Dutch as my next game. Are there any other trade ships with decent military capabilities?

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

KroNicK
Mariner
posted 07-06-09 12:14 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
im playing my UP campaign and fluyts definitely saved my butt more than once...i have to admit their pretty sweet ships...
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 07-06-09 10:11 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
I think the trade ships the other nations get (except the galleons of Spain) pretty much suck to varying degrees. Worst of all is the dhow of the Ottomans.

Nduna
Mariner
posted 07-13-09 04:07 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
Fluyts are definitely the best ships available early on. They're a bit slow but the can take a lot and dish out more. I've had some great battles in which Fluyts just prove to be better.
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 07-13-09 11:25 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Another benefit to fluyts (especially with he more aggressive pirates) is early on they don't need any warships to protect them in the trade zones.

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 07-20-09 07:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
The pirates have galleons too and those pack a mean punch as well.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Tacitus_Aurelius
Mariner
posted 07-20-09 03:58 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
I like Galleons better personally, Fluyts are great ships but Galleons have more guns which to me is the big kicker.

The strange thing is that i once auto resolved a battle with a single, 1 experience flyut against a galleon and the fluyt won, which is weird because as far as I know Galleons are better in all stats...
Pitt
Commodore
posted 07-20-09 09:11 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Weird things sometimes happen when you auto resolve.

Fluyts are more manoeuverable than galleons though, and a little faster. In a one-on-one, a Fluyt should be able to stay at extreme range and get more shots in than the galleon can on the Fluyt.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
MUZZIAH
Mariner
posted 09-02-09 03:54 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Fluyts kik arse???
Agreed i have had sum excelent results with them early on in the game, given their excelnt qualaties.

But 1 thing suks big time for the Fluyts with me...
They keep dropping their orders making micro management a nightmare. Does any1 else get this? I can tell a Fluyt to move to the other side of the map. And then watch as it abandons my orders and simply stops moving!

I have lost as many naval battles with Fluyts as i hav won. Simply because they refuse to turn about!
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 09-03-09 07:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
I can't say I have seen that happen Muzz. Maybe it's something they'll address in the upcoming patch.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames