We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Naval Battles
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Naval Battles » Largest Ship You Have Captured
Bottom
Topic Subject:Largest Ship You Have Captured
Legion Of Hell
Centurion
posted 04-16-09 04:22 PM EDT (US)         
As the thread title says what is the largest ship you have ever captured?

As the British I managed to capture a 41 gun Fluyt off the Spanish which they captured it off the Dutch. I was very proud of that. I also managed to capture a 58 gun Spanish galleon but when I boarded it with my fifth rate the crew was half it's size and only had 21 usable guns.

So what are your greatest captures?

General Rawlinson- This is most unsatisfactory. Where are the Sherwood Foresters? Where are the East Lancashires on the right?

Brigadier-General Oxley- They are lying out in No Man's Land, sir. And most of them will never stand again.

Two high ranking British generals discussing the fortunes of two regiments after the disastrous attack at Aubers Ridge on the 9th May 1915.
AuthorReplies:
remulu
Mariner
posted 04-16-09 09:05 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
In the third RTI campaign I captured a british triple chevron third-rate in a major battle off the coast of Florida. It was the pride of the American navy for the remaining years(I could only produce 4th rates and I didnt have anything with 3chevrons)
Thats the best, a french 5th rate has been my second best so far.
Smileyman007
Mariner
posted 04-17-09 03:17 AM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
In my Austrian campaign I managed to capture three 2nd Rates from the Marathas in a single battle. Difficulty was Hard/Hard.

I've captured a number of galleons from the Spanish, Portuguese, and Pirates in a few campaigns. But the 2nd Rates was by far the biggest haul.

No, I'm not being sarcastic.
Killer_of_Hopes
Mariner
posted 04-17-09 11:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       
I've captured a Genoa Admiral Flagship named Rosa as France

A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of. - Jane Austen

Every reform, however necessary, will by weak minds be carried to an excess, which will itself need reforming. - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man’s. - Mark Twain
Boetje
Mariner
posted 04-18-09 10:05 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
I captured 5 Dhow's with 3 brigs on M difficulty. They are now making almost 2000 a turn from trading Ivory.

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
OctavianIV
Mariner
posted 04-25-09 00:39 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Prussia vs Spain north sea, with 4 3rd rates I captured a 3-chevron 2nd-rate and a few Galleons. I renamed the 2nd-rate Bismark. It's currently the flagship of a blockading squadron off Gibraltar.

A right-angled triangle has sides a, b, and c, and a<b<c. a+c=49.
Find the area of the triangle.
"It is not the job of Mathematicians to do correct arithmetical operations - that is the job of bank accountants". - Shatunovskiy
rferrier
Mariner
posted 07-03-09 05:14 PM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
Captured an 84 gun Spanish first rate wandering in the Caribbean with an unarmed dhow. Ganged up on her with a second rate, a brig and a couple of sloops. Nice addition to the fleet.

[This message has been edited by rferrier (edited 07-03-2009 @ 05:14 PM).]

Cancer of the Head
Mariner
(id: say1988)
posted 07-04-09 04:21 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
I renamed the 2nd-rate Bismark.
He'll be proud, once he is born
pyromaniac73
Mariner
posted 07-10-09 03:23 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
I was playing as Austria and captured a British Heavy First Rate with only a First Rate. it was a one-on-one battle. I won by taking out his sails, then positioned my ship at the reer of the British, and fired off round after round of broadsides into its bow untill it surrendered.
the04dude
Mariner
posted 07-10-09 11:20 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
It's true the larger the ship the easier it is to capture because a) it's already really slow and b) it has a ton of sails to target.
Ecthelion
Mariner
(id: p90pro)
posted 07-12-09 06:37 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
The largest single ship I captured was a Spanish three chevron 2nd rate.

I captured a fleet of nine ships (sloops, brigs, and 6th rates) It was pretty easy after on just one broadside their Admiral's ship blew up. The rest of the battle was simply to swing around and do a second pass making them all surrender. The prize money was essential in being able to reinforce my army and take France.

Sir, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
Swallow my pride? No thank you, Im too full of myself.
I bring you nothing but love and a shopping bag full of sexual depravity.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Tied with Meteora (****er) for Best Sig Award.
masterbrett12345
Banned
posted 07-14-09 06:48 PM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
ive captured a 4 cheveron 1st rate and a two cheveron 3rd rate and a no cheveron 5th rate it made me proud as they were all in the same battle and the fleet they were in had killed 10 of my ships and captured 3 more I was on vh/vh it was fun
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 07-14-09 07:23 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
I've captured 3 Spanish Galleons in one naval battle, also managed to take a second rate in a larger battle but it probably wasn't worth the cost of ships needed to get in close and grapeshot whilst getting annihilated by a volley or two of roundshot broadsides.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Pitt
Commodore
posted 07-15-09 09:22 AM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
I managed to capture two Pirate Galleons in a battle. I was playing as Prussia and, getting sick of the pesky threats to my Indiamen, sent a sizeable army to capture the Leeward Islands and Trinidad & Tobago.

Without a dockyard the best I could manage was a Sloop, an East Indiaman, and 2 light galleys. On arrival I bumped into a Pirate fleet of the two Galleons and 1 Sloop.

After a chaotic melee, both my galleys surrendered (cowards!), but I sank the Pirate Sloop. I spent the next 30 minutes steadily destroying the Galleons' sails with my Sloop, then parked my Indiaman behind a disabled Galleon and raked it with round shot till it surrendered, then did the same for the second Galleon.

Later I used those two Galleons (after repairs) to land an army at Calcutta. The Mughals attacked with a large fleet, consisting of 2 Sloops, 1 Brig, and about a dozen dhows. I closed in to near point-blank range, sank the warships, then forced the dhows to surrender (about 9 of them survived the battle) so as to boost my trade fleets.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
Smileyman007
Mariner
posted 09-01-09 06:18 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
(If you want to skip the story, just scroll to the bottom)

The French and the Russians have been long at odds. For the last twenty years, the French have been fighting a bitter war with the Polish/Lithuanians over the remains of the Austrian Empire. As the Polish/Lithuanians were on the ropes, the Russians decided to enter the war against the Polish AND the French. This proved to be a costly mistake for the Russian Czar, but perhaps even more disastrous for the Polish. Squeezed between two of Europe's largest armies, Poland/Lithuania no longer exists. However, the war with Russia continues on land...and on the high seas.

The French navy has long been the most powerful navy in the world. Needless the say, the French were shocked to discover a massive Russian navy hiding in the far eastern Baltic. This navy was more powerful than any single French fleet. When it engaged France's proud sailors in battle, it caused the destruction of one of France's most proud armadas.

The fleet that silenced the guns of Amsterdam. The task force that ran Danish and Prussian blockades for decades. The armada that won control of the great North Sea and secured the valuable trade lanes between France and Sweden. All hands lost. Destroyed! At the hands of...Russians?!

In short, it was a humiliation beyond any suffered in the history of the newly born French Republic. Hundreds of cannons lost. Thousands of sailors killed or captured. The most powerful navy in the world defeated by the supposedly backward Russians. Unthinkable! Was history on the high seas echoing the ghosts of the real-life Napoleonic invasion of Russia?

The Republic could not let this humiliation stand. In response, the resources of the great French Republic were marshaled and a great fleet was purpose-built with one goal: crush the Russian navy before any further damage could be done to France's navy, economy, or pride.

The final battle in 1783 was the largest naval battle in the history of the world (and actually the largest Grand Campaign battle I've ever had the pleasure of fighting). Not only did the French win, but they managed to capture nearly the entire Russian fleet responsible for the disaster three years previous.

I captured three 2nd-Rates, one 5th-Rate, one 6th-Rate, and a Carronade Frigate.
Screenshot:

No, I'm not being sarcastic.
Gallowglass
Mariner
posted 09-01-09 06:56 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
I've captured a second-rate whilst playing as Britain. I have a lot of small fleets of galleys across the Atlantic Ocean, and one of them followed a Mexican fleet down the coast of Brazil. The galleys went around it, as they don't need the wind, and fired as many shots as possible into the bow. Most of the crew was killed, but there were only about three guns destroyed, and the ship surrendered when I sent in a galley to capture it.

Most of my galleys are actually captured from pirates. I didn't train any more than ten of my fleet, of about a hundred of them.

------m------m------
(o o)
(~)

Monkey beats bunny. Please put Monkey in your signature to prevent the rise of bunny.
m0n|<3yz r 2 pwn n00b
MUZZIAH
Mariner
posted 09-02-09 02:34 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
Engaged in a tuff campaign as MSoA (Monarchical States of America), i found myself assaulted by every major Colonial power. As if the natives weren't bad nuff!

My tech was severely lacking. And my naval fleet of frigates badly outmatched. Thankfully both the Brits and Spanish showed a tendency to sail lone Heavy 1st rates into my waters. An opportunity i was quick to capitalize on.

At the mere loss of a few frigates and a combination of chain shot and eventual placement of my ships of the bow, with grape i manged to whittle down the crew to the point of surrender.

This heavy first rate renamed "Royal Fortune" (in honor of the Welsh pirate Bartholomew Roberts) was appointed an Admiral and went on 2 capture a further 2 Heavy 1st Rates and several other advanced fleets.

The story of MSoA dominance of the high sea's was one of theft.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames