We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » Tactics for a mobile offensive
Bottom
Topic Subject:Tactics for a mobile offensive
Vonmonkey
Mariner
posted 01-12-11 10:57 AM EDT (US)         
Does anyone have any good suggests or tips for deploying and operating a mobile army on the battlefield?

I'm generally quite successful at winning defensive battles against similar or sometimes larger sized armies, but tend to get unstuck when I have to go on the offensive. I have difficulty keeping my army together and in formation when travelling distances on the battlefield, often leaving stragglers behind and units exposed, especially when the enemy decides to respond to my disorder and attack the exposed units and generally catches my army out of position.

Also does anyone use different formations when fighting mobile offensive battles compared to defensive ones?

Any and all suggestions most welcome.
AuthorReplies:
The Gentalmen
Mariner
posted 01-12-11 01:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
Stay away from larger units. Heavy cav. is great for short charges, but gets tired easily and will route faster when tired. Howitzers and foot artillary are nice, but stick with 3 and 6 pound horse arty. And allways adapt to the terrain. Sometimes the most unorthodox formations are the best ones.
-Regards-
Pitt
Commodore
posted 01-17-11 09:26 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
A good way of ensuring your army stays together and is ready to deploy into battle formation quickly is to make a series of short advances, rather than giving only a couple of move orders. The Pause function is particularly useful, as you can give orders practically simultaneously.

Keep your cavalry hovering nearby, and your artillery protected. If you keep your units close together, and advance in shorter stages, you can be ready to halt the movements of your infantry formations at a moment's notice so that they can quickly form a line of battle. Shorter advances also have the benefit of not leaving your artillery straggling far behind.

One thing to bear in mind is that the AI, at least in my experience, has proven far more willing to attack if you carry out your manouevres close to it. The further away you are, the less likely it is to attack. Even if it does, you have more time to react.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
NinjXPk
Mariner
posted 01-21-11 03:19 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
Use foot arty not horse arty. Foot arty unload and deploy much faster than horse arty. In a battle you don't need the speed of horses to move arty because you only need to move it a bit normally. Make sure you have the first shot.

All Empires Crumble; there are no exceptions

Rise -> Zenith -> War -> Chaos -> Nothing
Monarchy -> Republic -> Empire -> Downfall -> Enlightenment
Warlord_Meenos
Mariner
posted 01-22-11 03:37 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
if your opponent have mortars or rockets, dont move your units to close to eachother! Also your general is the obvious target for mortars move him to the corner of the map if needed better that then the whole of your army suffer a morale penelty for the rest of the battle..

If your opponent have pleanty of horses be ready for a charge while moveing dont leave artillery and skirmishers far from lineinfantry or heavy horse to counter.

I would also like to point out that first shot not nessesarily is the better, rather move your arty in range to hit him where it hurts! Let him fire a few round shots at you, then make him pay for it!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames