Were sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » Frustrated with cannons
Bottom
Topic Subject:Frustrated with cannons
salilsurendran
Mariner
posted 08-26-10 03:48 PM EDT (US)         
Hello Friends,
I have trouble getting the cannons to not fire at a unit and change target. I am usually very dependent on artillery in my land battles. I have artillery in the center of my army and usually two lines of infantry on the side such that when the enemy units walk up to attack my infantry units, I can canister shot them. Usually at the start of the battle the enemy cavalry charges my infantry units. My artillery is usually able to get one canister shot on them but then they are very soon on my lines. I target my artillery very fast on another enemy unit, so that they don't canister shot my own lines. But, I always find that my cannons always to let go of 1-2 rounds of shot even though I have ordered them to target some other unit. This leads to unnecessary deaths due to friendly fire. Also sometimes even in round shot the cannons don't stop firing immediately when I click on the stop button.
Another problem, is that when I ask an infantry unit to target an enemy unit that has walked up to it's line, it will attack and once the enemy starts routing, it will try to pursue it breaking line. Is there any button, that I can click such that it won't leave it's position to pursue routing enemy. Does the defend button work for this?
The biggest problem with battle AI is that line units walk up in front of my cannons to get canister shot. I am using Darth Mod but even in that the enemy exhibits the same behaviour. When I play on VH/VH it does try to flank me but not all the time. Any mod that will make the enemy AI not do this or make it use more of it's own artillery. Most of the time I just fill my armies with the outdated demi-cannons since the enemy army just walks in front of me giving me an easy victory. There is no need for mobile artillery since I never ever walk up to them.
How do you use dragoons in battle? I end up using them as normal cavalry units to kill the routing enemy since the enemy always walks up to me, i don't feel the need to have mobile units.
AuthorReplies:
pickledpickles
Mariner
posted 08-27-10 10:15 AM EDT (US)     1 / 2       
when the arty starts firing at units, to change targets you will probably have to press stop (stop everytyhing) and then switch targets. Just rember it may be a good idea to turn fire at will back on, because pressing stop will turn it off. This is particualry important with canister shot. Due to the fact that arty locks onto targets and doesnt switch even though the units starts routing (and therefore you probably want to change target). Press stop, and then turn on fire at will, theyll switch to a figthing unit, instead of a routing one.

also, with line inf, i usually dont suggest giving them an attack order, i just move them into range, and let them autoaim, means they wont chase the unit, and the targetting priorites are failry good. though theyll target the best unit in range and wont chage until there destoryed or out of range (usually), i suggest pressing the stop button, and turning on fire at will button, if a higher pririty target is in range, theyll most likley switch fire, if they dont give an attack order, and just watch them closley.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 09-11-10 11:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 2       
Another problem, is that when I ask an infantry unit to target an enemy unit that has walked up to it's line, it will attack and once the enemy starts routing, it will try to pursue it breaking line. Is there any button, that I can click such that it won't leave it's position to pursue routing enemy. Does the defend button work for this?
You need to turn on guard mode. There's a button for it, next to "fire at will" I think.

Turn off "fire at will" for your cannons and instruct them to hit individual targets. Cancel their orders whenever you need to switch targets. Works a treat for me.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames