We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » The Cunning Idiot
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Cunning Idiot
Warguppy
Mariner
posted 08-05-10 12:42 PM EDT (US)         
It's late in the 1770's and I, the humble but brilliantly effective Prussians, have had Amsterdam for a few turns so my army there has completely refit (7 line infantry, 2 light infantry, 1 18 lbs-er and a general unit). I get a chance to intercept a slightly weaker stack of French that decide to try to pass without paying the required tolls I've imposed ("Give me your wives, your daughters and your girlfriends, especially the virgin ones"). I like defensive battles, thrive on them against the AI really, so I jump at the chance to pound this group before they lay siege and interrupt my Germanification of Europe even further.

When the battle screen loads I'm rather surprised there's a hole in the wall that hasn't repaired. Perfect, I think to myself, now I know where they'll come from so this will be easier. So I set up the canon unit and 3 line infantry around the hole with 3 line infantry and 1 light behind those in support and the other light unit in the house near the hole. The general is behind the house just to keep him close but out of any line of fire. As an afterthought I put the last line infantry on the flag in the fort center which I alwasy do just in case any bleed through happens.

True to form the French send infantry and cavalry suicidally through the hole in the wall. I pound them into puree and wait for the other units to come through. I then notice a line infantry is in melee but I can see all the units at the hole and they aren't even shotting let alone meleeing with anyone. I pan back and HOLY hassenpfeffer! my line infantry I kept at the flag is being meleed by a French line unit and there's another on the way to help! It would seem that while I was preoccupied at the 'obvious AI entrance' the AI sent a couple units to scale the wall elsewhere and take the fort from the rear.

I rushed all 3 reserve line infantry and the light reserve to the fort flag and won but it was a shock that the AI did something clever for a change.

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 08-19-10 04:41 AM EDT (US)     1 / 2       
Hmm, so the AI can be smart sometimes? That's interesting. Let's hope it starts doing it more often.

Hussarknight
THEmanIShere
Mariner
posted 08-19-10 12:26 PM EDT (US)     2 / 2       
I have noticed through a few Steam updates that the AI gets slightly smarter.

When I first started playing I would win super easily, even on VH. But after a couple updates I noticed that my enemy started advancing in columns and actually hada few reserve units.

The AI is still weaker than I want them to be but at least it's better than say, Rome Total War. I lost only one single, even, battle on RTW because of my own mistakes.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames