We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » arty range
Bottom
Topic Subject:arty range
pickledpickles
Mariner
posted 05-20-10 10:15 PM EDT (US)         
just a quick question, can arty actually kill anyone if there outside of there range. I.e i tell the arty to attack ground at its max range in the hope that cannoball will kill something behind it. Beacuse ive been trying to, and i swear they did hit people, but no one died, so just wondering if thats a game mecahnic, or im really unlucky.
AuthorReplies:
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 05-21-10 02:47 AM EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Yes they can, but not to big range tho. If its with normal cannonballs they can also rolle over the inf who is marching against you. Canister shot have almost no effect outside the shot area.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
BastWorshiper
Sensei
posted 05-25-10 04:28 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6       
I would say canister has no effect outside the range.

Round shot, however, can definitely cause some kills using the method you described. It seems to mostly bounce over infantry, but it's somewhat effective against other artillery and fairly effective against cavalry. If you're aiming for infantry, it's sometimes better to fire a little short of maxed range to try and get the ball to land in the infantry on the second impact with the ground. It'll take some fine-tuning, though, and it is not very consistent.

"It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do. There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Wasting time is merely an occupation then, and a most exhausting one. Idleness, like kisses, to be sweet must be stolen." -- Jerome K. Jerome

"Some people become so expert at reading between the lines they don't read the lines." -- Margaret Millar

ERADICATE CONDESCENSION! (That means don't talk down to people.)
pickledpickles
Mariner
posted 05-25-10 08:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6       
yeah, well the reason i asked was because i was trying that, although i think the cannonbals must have just bounced over them, but it really looked as if it hit some guys.
Dark as Silver
Mariner
posted 06-01-10 12:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6       
Defiantly if you play multi-player you will inevitably find someone who exploits this, me for example. However its not very effective until you can use shrapnel shot as round tends to fire too high and canister couldn't kill anything out of range. It can work with howitzers mortars and rockets if you have a height advantage.
pickledpickles
Mariner
posted 06-01-10 08:55 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6       
if your moratrs arent in range your doing something wrong

yeah i have seen how canister shot loses al of its effectviness beyond the thin red line. But i have just researched some AOE attacks for my howizters which can definetly kill things beyond there range.
Dark as Silver
Mariner
posted 06-03-10 03:31 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6       
But i have just researched some AOE attacks for my howizters which can definetly kill things beyond there range.
For a short part yes, however for any worth while range bonus you musht have a height advantage.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames