We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » The effectiveness of howitzers
Bottom
Topic Subject:The effectiveness of howitzers
Thrashmad
Mariner
posted 03-21-10 07:20 AM EDT (US)         
I like howitzers. They can lob their shots over obstacles and their advanced ammunition have negative effect on the enemy soldiers.

However I get the feeling sometimes that they don't kill that many enemies. During the battles it seems fine, they bombard the enemy and hit quite often, especially when I micromanage them by ordering them to fire in the front of advancing enemies. When the battle is over and the result screen shows up, sometimes they didn't kill many enemies. Is this some bug? Can it be that the kills from the smoke that quicklime shells produces doesn't count?

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)
AuthorReplies:
ahugeUSMCfan
Mariner
posted 03-21-10 07:52 AM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
I noticed that too. I think they only count the kills in melee or something.
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 03-21-10 08:06 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Nahh, I have noticed it before. And they dont count it in melee. Then my cannons would kill 300 people each in some very devestating battles.

But i think the howitzers does less kill, but they give hugh moral shock to the enenmies.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-27-10 12:23 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
I think it's just the projection- flat-firing cannons can take out an entire rank or file, but the lobbed shot of the howitzer only falls on one unfortunate man. Quicklime is better, but I've notice they don't actually kill as many as, say, roundshot on a flat cannon. I don't bother deploying them much unless I need to have a flat line and will be seeing a lot of fighting on the flanks.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
USAspecops
Mariner
posted 03-28-10 01:09 AM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Caracas and quicklime is mostly useful for taking their moral to nil before battle. This is the greatest benefit. If you want to kill a lot of guys with it though focus your fire on one unit and after the second volley you'll start seeing guys drop like flies. I find they are best used when the army is all clustered and bunched up. This lets you hit a lot of guys at once.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames