We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » Cavalry kills your own men
Bottom
Topic Subject:Cavalry kills your own men
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-20-10 03:54 AM EDT (US)         
Something I have noticed (and it's probably cost me more men than enemy howitzers) is that if you're charging your cavalry, for God's sake don't put your men in the way. I decimated a unit of Welch Fusiliers by accident, as once those sabres come out they're in charge mode, and ride down anything in your way.

This makes things a bit tricky, as if you have cavalry smashing into your front line, and you have cavalry as a reserve, charging your horses straight at the gap is just going to kill more of your men

Anyone else noticed this?

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
AuthorReplies:
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-20-10 07:14 AM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
Hmm, that is something to watch our for. Never seen my cavalry kill my troops, but doesn't sound like something to try out.

Hussarknight
ahugeUSMCfan
Mariner
posted 03-20-10 07:23 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
I've noticed that sometimes with skirmishers, and just noticed that with line inf last night on NTW.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-20-10 08:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
It's like the reverse of the old RTW feature where you charged your cavalry through a mass of your own troops and the cavalry got buggered if it was pikemen.

Pitt
Commodore
posted 03-20-10 09:07 AM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
Yeah, I've noticed it a few times. I've also suffered losses when two cavalry units coming from slightly different directions intermingle when chasing down routers.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-20-10 12:16 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
Yeah, I've noticed it a few times. I've also suffered losses when two cavalry units coming from slightly different directions intermingle when chasing down routers.
Really? I put that down to cannons or men firing at the survivors at the same time, because I'd left them to their own devices. Hm...

NinjXPk
Mariner
posted 03-21-10 12:40 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
I once had a pike wall and i sent a cav unit to charge a unit infront of them

Then the cav ploughed straight through my pike wall and knocked it down from 120 to 80. I was like what?!

I also noticed that cav can come straight into your pike wall and not lose a single life

All Empires Crumble; there are no exceptions

Rise -> Zenith -> War -> Chaos -> Nothing
Monarchy -> Republic -> Empire -> Downfall -> Enlightenment
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 03-21-10 01:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
I have also lost many men like that, I have also noticed that you should never use 2 units or more to charge another unit. When they crash they also kill each other.

So keep distance with your cav.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
BurningSushi460
Scenario Reviewer
posted 03-21-10 04:08 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
I think this might have been the stopgap for CA that really gave out that cavalry aren't mainstream no more. However, what about cavalry charging first FOLLOWED by your infantry? What would the difference be for that?

Actually it was originally called just Heaven, but then God sold the naming rights to Microsoft, so.... -GoForGoldenJarls

Astor: “Churchill, if you were my husband, I’d put poison in your coffee.”
Churchill: “Madam, if you were my wife, I’d drink it.”
Stonewall86
Mariner
posted 03-22-10 03:31 PM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Definately noticed this, I've plowed over my fair share of my own men.... FML
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-22-10 04:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Actually, a more accurate statement is FT(heir)L

TKwarrior17
Mariner
posted 03-23-10 02:58 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Most of my armies are cavalry heavy (unless I'm the Prussians) so I usually end up killing more of my own men than my enemies do... : /

I don't know why, I guess it's just the way I play, but I am always losing soldiers to my own cavalry charges, whether it's cavalry or infantry I'm losing doesn't matter. I need to find a better way of using my cavalry I guess.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-24-10 05:48 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
I am pretty careful with my cavalry, especially Lancers when performing a charge. More often than not I am able to position them so that the charge reaches the rear of the enemy ranks rather than them trampling through my own lines.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames