We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » Regimental Names and Organisation
Bottom
Topic Subject:Regimental Names and Organisation
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-01-10 11:26 AM EDT (US)         
Very similar to the ships one, but for the land units.

In vanilla ETW, each Line regiment unit represents one 'regiment' according to way they are automatically named- so, 1st Regiment of Foot, etc. That is a fine system, although I'm also mucking around with a system in darthmod which has two battalions (1 battalion = 1 unit) a regiment, so I have, eg, the 2nd Westminster 1st Battalion and the 2nd Westminster 2nd Battalion. This is quite fun, as I can detach an entire regiment from a force and have them do independent stuff- the 4th Royal Highlanders 1st and 2nd btns, eg, captured Newfoundland, while the 5th Bedfordshire Fusiliers end up in India with the 6th Anglian Grenediers' first battalion.

In either system, if a unit gets over 3exp (or does something like bring down an entire elephant unit by itself) it'll get a special name, just to make it that more personal. Anyone do this? And what names would you call suggest for yours, if they earned it?

In a Prussian Campaign, after spending rather too much time renaming all my regiments so they're in order (and ending up with the most experienced first) I have the likes of the 1st Eagles, 2nd Kestrals, 3rd Breachers, The 4th Unmoveables, 5th Flutes and Drums, 6th Indian Suns, 7th Royal Americans, the 25th St Peters', 26th Russian Regiment, and the 3rd Regiment of Cavalry 'Elephant Hunters', plus Royal artillery regiments used in carrying out a successful revolution. Anyone else?

Please tell me it's not just me...

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
AuthorReplies:
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-01-10 05:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12       
I didn't do it too often, but if a unit repeatedly performed exceptionally I will give them a name. Typically my Grenadiers.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
NinjXPk
Mariner
posted 03-01-10 05:59 PM EDT (US)     2 / 12       
When i play as france i like to name my guard units as the old guard, middle guard, and young guard

All Empires Crumble; there are no exceptions

Rise -> Zenith -> War -> Chaos -> Nothing
Monarchy -> Republic -> Empire -> Downfall -> Enlightenment
TKwarrior17
Mariner
posted 03-01-10 11:30 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12       
I don't name units, just armies.

In my Prussian campaign, I have the 1st Army, under command of Ephraim Kettler, my 10 star and best general. They get that title because they are my best army by far with all 6 Republican Guard units, 4 Superior Line Infantry, 2 Frei-Korps, 2 Jaegers, 4 24-lber Foot Artillery, Death's Head Hussars, and General's Bodyguard. Every unit has at least 4 chevrons. They typically are my follow-up unit. Typically when I capture a city, I send one of my "ok" armies to take it, and my 1st Army to clear out enemy armies nearby. Usually there are better armies outside the cities, plus I don't like wasting my best troops in siege assaults.

In France I have my Army of the Rhine. They are originally trained out of Berlin and Munich, but the same army has been fighting in the Rhine area for 50 years and are currently in Paris protecting the city from Revolutionaries (I don't want France going back to a monarchy since we're all republics now).

In Austria I have my 1st Army of the Danube and 2nd Army of the Danube. Both armies have participated heavily in the liberation of Hungary and the destruction of the Ottoman Empire in the Danube River region, and have been named accordingly.

In Riga, Estonia & Livonia, I have the King's Army, trained out of Königsberg (meaning Kingstown, or something similar). Not that creative of a name, but whatever. :P

In Vilnius, Lithuania, I have the 1st Saxon Army. The force was trained purely out of Saxony and as such has received the name.

In Minsk, Belarus & Volhynia, I have the 2nd Saxon Army. Named for the same reason as the 1st Saxon.

In Azerbaijan and Georgia I have the Army of the Elbe, purely trained from Berlin, which sits near the Elbe River.

My other three armies are fairly fresh, and as such have not received honorable names yet.

I have a fleet en route to India with 19 Heavy First Rates and an Admiral's Flagship First Rate with a 7 star admiral. It is named Die Flotte der Dänemark (The Fleet of Denmark) since it was trained out of my two Steam Drydocks in Husum and Lübeck. Basically, I like to name my armies/fleets after where they originated. The 1st Army and the Armies of the Danube are exceptions. Considering about half of my armies were trained in Berlin I can't name them all the same. I plan on renaming the Armies of the Danube anyway. The only time they spend near the Danube anymore may be on the soldiers' vacation time.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-03-10 12:55 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12       
In a previous similar thread, a forumer posted a great idea, which was to name the unit that got the most kills in a battle after the nearest town or city. I do that as much as I can and it adds a nice role-playing element to the game.

I wish you could name armies properly though.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Phalanxkiller
Mariner
posted 03-03-10 03:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12       
I don't do it as much with land units. However, I do name alot of my ships.

But as for the roleplaying part, I do give my generals a rank according to their command level, and promote them when they gain command.

Ex: 3 Command Stars->Major
4 Command Stars->Colonel
5 Command Stars->Brigadier

So on and so on. The highest ranking person is automatically named my "Lord Commander" or "Warmarshal" (Depending on what faction I'm playing as. It keeps the game interesting. Try it.

There are three things needed to win a war, money, money, and yet more money.
Cancer of the Head
Mariner
(id: say1988)
posted 03-03-10 10:42 PM EDT (US)     6 / 12       
In a previous similar thread, a forumer posted a great idea, which was to name the unit that got the most kills in a battle after the nearest town or city. I do that as much as I can and it adds a nice role-playing element to the game.
The problem is that that is just so ahistorical, at least from an Anglo view. Armies are often named after where they are fighting, but regiments named after a location are almost always named after where they were raised. Generals throughout history often received titles of the location of the great victories (Scipio Africanus, Wellesley the Prince of Waterloo, Montomgery Viscount of Alamein).
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 03-04-10 03:26 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Naming entire armies would be awesome, rather than just the individual regiments within them.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-04-10 11:07 AM EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Oh, I had them organised into 'divisions' for each stack. There are 9 of them in Prussia, with a couple getting a few names based on where they've fought major buggers of battles, plus the 1st, which is a 'household' Division of life guards, foot guards and so forth.

Pitt
Commodore
posted 03-11-10 08:29 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12       
Please tell me it's not just me...
It's not. When fighting as the British my line units get historical names (even if not exactly contemporaneous), e.g. the 1st Regiment of Foot becomes the 1st Royal Scots.

My colonial line infantry in America tends to get multiple battalions of the same regiment, the 60th Royal Americans (later and more famously known as the 60th Rifles).

It makes you more careful with your units when you become attached to them. I usually manage to avoid losing line infantry completely, though they have routed a few times. I've been less fortunate with artillery and cavalry units.

"Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French." - P.G. Wodehouse, The Luck of the Bodkins
halberd
Mariner
posted 03-11-10 05:56 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12       
I also like to name units after where they are created, it really adds a sense of diversity and history to your army.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03-20-10 03:52 AM EDT (US)     11 / 12       
Occasionally I'll take the names of units defeated- eg, in Darthmod my 6th Anglians killed the regiment of Sevilla all by themselves, so they're now the 6th Anglian Sevilla

TKwarrior17
Mariner
posted 03-21-10 02:03 AM EDT (US)     12 / 12       
I name armies by using the General's Bodyguard regimental name.

For instance, if my general is 7 star and as such is a Brigadier General (in my ranking system), my general's bodyguard would be called the "Brigadier General of the Army of the Rhine".

For role-playing purposes, all my armies are full-stacks and half one general each in order to have one rank and name for each army. It adds a fun element to the game, even if it is not entirely practical.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames