We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.13 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » Hand Mortar Companies
Bottom
Topic Subject:Hand Mortar Companies
halberd
Mariner
posted 02-19-10 03:27 AM EDT (US)         
I'm surprised it took me this long to realize the potential of this unit. Not only can it quickly and easily cut any unit in half but can be deployed behind your lines to fire over the heads of infantry in front of them.

Now, as Russia, all I need to do is get close with my infantry and follow with the hand mortars to take any position.
AuthorReplies:
NinjXPk
Mariner
posted 02-19-10 09:28 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13       
The thing is that they run out of ammo quickly

All Empires Crumble; there are no exceptions

Rise -> Zenith -> War -> Chaos -> Nothing
Monarchy -> Republic -> Empire -> Downfall -> Enlightenment
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 02-19-10 10:08 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13       
And therfore they aint good for multiplayer. I also find them shooting over the head of the enenmy, but the grenaiders, they are ownage.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
ahugeUSMCfan
Mariner
posted 02-19-10 03:50 PM EDT (US)     3 / 13       
They used to have platoon fire but now only the first rank can fire.
Gnarlyhotep
Mariner
posted 02-19-10 04:19 PM EDT (US)     4 / 13       
They have potential, and great utility, but I'd much rather have a regular grenadier company over them. they don't have the high accuracy long range musket fire, or the shock value, that normal grenadiers provide.

While they do have great utility to punch a hole in the enemy line to exploit, their lack of ammo and lack of a backup gun really hurts their long-term viability on the field of battle.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 02-21-10 08:46 AM EDT (US)     5 / 13       
I concur, as awesome as they seem their low ammo capacity really puts them behind the much more versatile Hand Grenadiers.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Dark as Silver
Mariner
posted 05-09-10 02:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13       
therfore they aint good for multiplayer
I disagree, get them a Cossack meat shield and they can blow a hole in the centre of an enemy army with out taking any damage, and their high melle stats let them follow that up with a bayonet charge.
NinjXPk
Mariner
posted 05-10-10 05:20 PM EDT (US)     7 / 13       
Actually ever since the last mod, i have noticed that they have been made less effective

It may make a big boom when they fire their grenades but when you carefully look, only a few are dead

Anyone else notice this or is just my hand morter team that sucks

Napoleon420
Mariner
posted 05-11-10 12:06 PM EDT (US)     8 / 13       
I love these units. These units is what makes Russia such a fun faction to play as. I also put the hand mortar's behind my men when Im advancing forward. Against weak moraled Austria units you can make a whole army rout in the matter of a few minutes.
TKwarrior17
Mariner
posted 05-13-10 01:02 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13       
I never use hand mortars and rarely use grenadiers. Whenever I do, the enemy just charges en masse into melee before they can throw any grenades. It's really quite annoying. I even try flanking, but they still stop me before I can release my deadly barrage. Any pointers on commanding grenadier units? The only real good use I can find for them is melee. :/
Dark as Silver
Mariner
posted 05-13-10 01:59 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13       
the enemy just charges en masse into melee before they can throw any grenades
when I have this problem I just put a militia or Cossack unit in front. The enemy can't micromanage every where so you could try doing multiple attacks at once.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 05-14-10 04:36 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13       
I never use hand mortars and rarely use grenadiers
Grenadiers are some of my favourite units. Instead of using them on the battleline position them on a flank, that way once the firing begins they can roll up on the nearest unit's flank, throw grenades and charge. Normally folds the enemy unit's morale.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
NinjXPk
Mariner
posted 05-14-10 10:08 AM EDT (US)     12 / 13       
Grenadiers are not good for multiplayer because they require lots of micro-management

If you don't keep on selecting grenade mode, they will switch back to musket after the first volley

In singleplayer where you can pause, grenediers are a good choice

Dark as Silver
Mariner
posted 05-14-10 03:57 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13       
Grenadiers are not good for multiplayer because they require lots of micro-management
I once took down a unit of new york from 80 to 17 with only two volleys of grenades, in that battle one unit of grenadiers took a bit more 1/8th of my total kills, that was online. While they do need a lot of micro management practise and they are devastatingly effective.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames