We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » One way E:TW could have been more fun
Bottom
Topic Subject:One way E:TW could have been more fun
total_war_addict
Mariner
posted 02-12-10 09:16 PM EDT (US)         
As a former Medieval II player i was really dissapointed when i did my first take on a city in E:TW, i thought why not use wood forts as city defense, i really miss the city defense the other Total War games had.

I know there were forts but i didnt fight in them often enough sadly.

Also I hope they include united states in the grand campaign in N:TW and dont make the same mistake as they did with E:TW.

[img]http://i45.tinypic.com/w0gzmv.jpg[/img]
AuthorReplies:
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 02-12-10 09:31 PM EDT (US)     1 / 15       
I dubout they will add USA in the Napoleon wars, they dident do anything to help anyone in europe. USA was only mentioned as a place Napoleon would like to have a vacation in.

As for the forts, in real time they fought in forts outside the citties. And normaly after the battle the winner of the siege was chosen. So for short, they normally had one battle to choose the destiny of the province.

But a trick you can do is to just camp outside the city and lure the soldiers out. I find it much much easier to beat them when I fight in villages or on other terrain.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
Waffentraeger
Mariner
(id: Daelon)
posted 02-12-10 10:45 PM EDT (US)     2 / 15       
Yeah I was very disappointed in how sieges worked. Attacking fortresses is just ridiculous, I don't even bother engaging fortresses I just do auto-resolve now.
Sondre_norge
Mariner
posted 02-13-10 06:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 15       
Same I absolutly hate to fight fortress, but something other that disapoint me is that there are no prisoners of war. Where did all the prisoners go? I loved when you could randsom, kill or release them.

Ludwig II Award (craziest forumer) -- Sondre_norge, armenian (tie)
Continental Army Award (most improved forumer) -- Sondre_norge
Napoleon Award (most likely to be promoted) -- Sondre_norge
( can only dream about that happening)
fuzz
Mariner
posted 02-13-10 07:37 AM EDT (US)     4 / 15       
I don't mind attacking fortresses at all, it adds a bit more depth and variety for one and it increases the importance of certain regions. For example there would have to be some more important defenses for a regions capital so that defense was made easier from a historic perspective.
Army Ranger
Mariner
posted 02-14-10 01:45 AM EDT (US)     5 / 15       
Also I hope they include united states in the grand campaign in N:TW and don't make the same mistake as they did with E:TW.
Maybe a money gain event to France symbolising the Louisiana purchase, Possibly a trade partner but probably not in the game. They might be though, the war of 1812 was related to it and France asked America for help i think.

Rangers Lead the Way!
bmlinsey
Mariner
posted 02-24-10 09:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 15       
the war of 1812 was Brits Vs Amer. nothing else.... yeah they were fighting in Europe(they always fight in europe) but it wasnt related... actually before and during the war of 1812, both british and french ships pirated American trade ships to europe....
NinjXPk
Mariner
posted 02-25-10 05:24 PM EDT (US)     7 / 15       
The thing i hate about siege battles is that you cant knock down the gate (its indestruticble)

Also, when you try to climb your troops up a wall, it gets all messed up, like they climb back down for some reason

All Empires Crumble; there are no exceptions

Rise -> Zenith -> War -> Chaos -> Nothing
Monarchy -> Republic -> Empire -> Downfall -> Enlightenment
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-26-10 02:52 AM EDT (US)     8 / 15       
The thing i hate about siege battles is that you cant knock down the gate (its indestruticble)
Actually only the walls surrounding the gates are indestructible, the gates themselves can be blown open but they're very hard to hit because they're so small.

Hussarknight
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 02-26-10 04:41 AM EDT (US)     9 / 15       
Also I hope they include united states in the grand campaign in N:TW and don't make the same mistake as they did with E:TW.
America is definitely not in NTW.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
NinjXPk
Mariner
posted 02-26-10 09:53 AM EDT (US)     10 / 15       
How can you knock down gates, you cant target it

All Empires Crumble; there are no exceptions

Rise -> Zenith -> War -> Chaos -> Nothing
Monarchy -> Republic -> Empire -> Downfall -> Enlightenment
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 02-26-10 10:26 AM EDT (US)     11 / 15       
I don't mind the fort battles so much, but I wish the maps were more interesting. Think the fort maps on the Road to Independence campaign. They were memorable fort battles because of the rivers, bridges, towns and hills all around.

A f t y

A A R S

Gnarlyhotep
Mariner
posted 02-26-10 11:43 AM EDT (US)     12 / 15       
I'd have liked fort battles much better if the "fortifications nearby" morale bonus weren't so disgustingly high. I'm sorry, 60 armed populace facing 300+ line infantry and grenadiers shouldn't be holding out to the last man.

I think a war of 1812 mod/dlc campaign would be worthwhile, though.
L_Clan_Xerxes
Mariner
posted 05-05-10 03:20 AM EDT (US)     13 / 15       
I'm surprised so many people find it difficult attacking forts or improved forts, I actually prefer them over fighting the enemy in the open.

What I do is something like this (H/H): minimum 2 artillery, like 6 inf, 2 cav + general. (numbers vary ofcourse)

Then carefully position your arty on the corner end of the fort and slighly out of range, deploy the rest of your army behind them preferably behind a hill/natural cover. Then start shooting and destroying with the arty one side of the fort making one or two openings next to each other. This takes some time and you must have patience or just skip forward but beware of flanking enemy cavalry as they will try to attack the artillery while your infantry is a bit back behind cover.

Move your line infantry and artillery very close on the OUTSIDE of the pieces you've blown away. Switch to canister shot and wait till the enemy starts coming out one by one. If they dont come out on their own move a small unit to the opening and start harassing them by firing a few shots in, then running away.

This has worked for me any time when I play level h/h, dont know if it will work vh/vh though.

By the way, don't worry about the arty being out of range, if you position them well, the shots hit and you don't get shot at by the enemy guns. DO NOT lose the artillery, they are crucial in this because of the canister shots later on.
Dark as Silver
Mariner
posted 05-05-10 03:11 PM EDT (US)     14 / 15       
why not use wood forts as city defense
I believe CA was going for historical accuracy
How can you knock down gates, you cant target it
The easiest way is the historical way, which was to walk a cannon right in front of it (the sort of range where you can't miss).
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 05-14-10 04:44 AM EDT (US)     15 / 15       
"fortifications nearby" morale bonus weren't so disgustingly high. I'm sorry, 60 armed populace facing 300+ line infantry and grenadiers shouldn't be holding out to the last man.
I concur, but I guess it's kind of like in Medieval II where the units on the walls would (on hard difficulty and up) take such a ridiculous beating and still out last superior forces' morale during the assault. The only way you can get around it is by softening them up by smashing the walls up with cannons and then simply outnumbering them. Mostly during my fort battles I will open two breaches in the walls, trapping units on the battlements if I can. Then I focus on taking and holding the centre of the fortress instead of wiping out all enemy units.

A f t y

A A R S

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames