We’re sorry but we are currently still working on support for IE6 because of its non-compliance with common web standards. In the meantime, please consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 7, FireFox, Apple Safari, or Google Chrome.

TWH »

Empire: Total War Heaven

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion
Moderated by Pitt, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Empire: Total War Heaven » Forums » Empire: Total War - Land Battle Discussion » Infantry shooting cavalry
Bottom
Topic Subject:Infantry shooting cavalry
Thrashmad
Mariner
posted 12-13-09 08:53 AM EDT (US)         
It seems to me that when line and elite infantry shoots at cavalry, they don't use fire by rank or platoon firing, but only the front rank shoot.

Anyone else who has noticed this?

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

[This message has been edited by Thrashmad (edited 12-15-2009 @ 09:38 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
KO66
Banned
posted 12-13-09 01:38 PM EDT (US)     1 / 8       
I have NOT noticed this but now I'm curious and will go check myself.

You do have the 'Fire by Rank' technology right?

I've noticed a couple of times that some units (even recruited after I got that technology) only used the first two rows while in some of my units all the men were firing.

P.S. I usually put my infantry in rows of four. Having a longer line of fire from my infantry has dealt me ridiculous victories over the enemy in Very Hard.
nerdydodge
Mariner
posted 12-13-09 02:03 PM EDT (US)     2 / 8       
I've noticed this. The idea is to allow them to fire off a volley before the cavalry charge hits them, because fire by rank or platoon firing will cause the whole unit to wait for the last man to reload or find his position in the ranks before opening fire.

[This message has been edited by nerdydodge (edited 12-13-2009 @ 02:04 PM).]

Quentillius
Mariner
posted 12-13-09 06:10 PM EDT (US)     3 / 8       
This is a new feature, unique to the latest patch. It's really useful, was so annoying when elite units would only fire in platoons just before cavalry crashes into them.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 12-15-09 05:51 AM EDT (US)     4 / 8       
Like the others already said it isn't a bug but a feature that makes infantry react better to cavalry charges. When a bunch of horse is charging towards you you just want to fire your gun and take one out. You aren't going to wait until all your comrades are ready and then be too late to fire.

Hussarknight
Thrashmad
Mariner
posted 12-15-09 09:43 AM EDT (US)     5 / 8       
Yeah, I thought it was something they made intentionally. Good when you have elite units,can be bad when you have normal line infantry and more than one line could have shot. I wonder if this would give Dragoons and similar units an edge in a firefight with infantry.

"The satisfaction in this game lies in to see 300 heavy armoured horsemen ride chock in an easy snowfall, while fire arrows criss-crosses the evening sky" - Swedish historian and permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy Peter Englund on Medieval 2: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)

"A game that contains both Carl Linnaeus and five different types of artillery projectiles are indisputable exceedingly detailed." - Peter Englund on Empire: Total War (translated by Thrashmad)
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 12-21-09 02:38 AM EDT (US)     6 / 8       
This is interesting. I didn't realise they had changed this.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Patpat
Mariner
posted 12-28-09 10:04 AM EDT (US)     7 / 8       
I think it because the whole line arent shooting at the same time. Some men in the line may still reloading. So your boys will wait for another reload when all of them can shoot at the same time. It quite gay because there wont be enough time for them to reload.

not again...
pickledpickles
Mariner
posted 05-20-10 10:13 PM EDT (US)     8 / 8       
i thought it was depndant on where the cavalry was charging from. for instance if they come at you directly to the front, i think your guys (if they can) will fire by rank. Although if the cavalry comes from the side i think everyone just tries to get as many shots off as possible.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Empire: Total War Heaven | HeavenGames